E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > "Dealer Recommended" Maintenance

10-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
thedm
The Legend
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [10.00]
"Dealer Recommended" Maintenance

I posted in the wrong thread... like a nub.

I've had my CPO 2008 E92 328i for about a year now, and it seems like I am overdue for a few maintenance issues. I have about 32k miles on it (got it with about 18k)

My service adviser at the stealership is telling me that I need to do a:
1. Fuel injection + induction cleaning
2. Power steering fluid replacement
3. Rear differential fluid

This totals to a whopping $638, which I did not see coming at all. I expected to do regular maintenance on the first car that I am paying for, but I did not know it would cost this much.

Are these easy fixes that I can go to an independent BMW/German car mechanic for? How closely should I follow the maintenance schedule that the dealership is telling me? I found a revised version of the old school maintenance schedule, but it is for 335i's. I'm just going to follow Mike's maintenance schedule as close as I can, but my real question is whether I can trust an indy mechanic with all of it or not as I do not have the space or equipment to DIY :/

If you can't tell, I'm kind of a n00b, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So how long do you plan on keeping the car is the first question to ask. Second the diff oil service is 100,000 miles per BMW maintenance requirements. Powersteering fluid change is not a recommended service interval, but several of us (including me at 158,000 miles) have done it. The fuel induction cleaning is also not a BMW recommended service interval and probably is not necessary on an N52. All of these are easily handled at an independent shop. However, keep in mind you'll never be able to tell the fluids and cleaning were actually done...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So how long do you plan on keeping the car is the first question to ask. Second the diff oil service is 100,000 miles per BMW maintenance requirements. Powersteering fluid change is not a recommended service interval, but several of us (including me at 158,000 miles) have done it. The fuel induction cleaning is also not a BMW recommended service interval and probably is not necessary on an N52. All of these are easily handled at an independent shop. However, keep in mind you'll never be able to tell the fluids and cleaning were actually done...
This ^
Appreciate 0