E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Any Prof. Engineers?

02-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #23
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

Damn a lot of engineers.

I have my BS in ME. I got my EiT before I graduated senior year, it wasn't required but I am glad I did it. A lot of people fall of the train or keep pushing it off after graduating and it becomes less and less appealing. I am currently pursing my MS in Engineering Management. Although I am a ME I work as a civil doing Gas Systems Engineering for a utilities company.

I can't stress how important it is to get that internship as many as you can before you graduate. Not only will it get you more experience and exposure it lets you network with other engineers or senior management. Those are the people you want to like you because even if that may not be what you want to do, they know people and could easily send a recommendation out for you.

Also nothing is ever set in stone. It is never to late to change your major to something you are more interested in because it'll pay off in the long run even if you have to stay a year or two. Even after college like some of the other members said their current work has absolutely nothing to do with their BS degree.

That being said I do want to switch back into manufacturing. I miss doing quality engineering work.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #24
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
What's the general consensus with getting your Masters? Is it more beneficial to do it right after the BS, or work a bit then go back to school? I get most of my schooling paid for by the Post 9/11 GI bill, so I'll only have a small amount of student loans compared to what I will receive in education.

LOL - I'm a Master School dropout (no graduation day for me).

I took a couple courses towards a Masters in Engineering Management...but was too hard to dedicate the time with my wife taking her Masters in Taxation at the same time (you want to talk about a boring topic...wow ). Needless, intended to go back...but never did. I don't think it mean anything starting out (actually, when I was a hiring manager, it could actually hurt)...but means a ton in the promotional aspect later on.

Main part is to get the job where they have tuition reimbursement...then you're not paying for it.
      02-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #25
McBride
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport +

I'm a Civil Engineer and honestly if I knew what I know now I wouldn't have bothered. I would of looked at other careers.

I like the idea of Mechanical Engineeing as its such a broad field. I know a few MEs and they have such interesting jobs (some work for Rolls Royce designing engines) they also earn far more than me.
Appreciate 0