E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Do you regret buying a 6AT sometimes.

04-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #177
ELiTeNeSs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
What is this alpina flash anyways? Should I just drop it by the dealer (gasp) and see if they can figure out why its so jerky and not smooth?
That's an option and it's all up to you but here's the link to alpina tcu flash

Don't quote me on this but I think the "alpina talk" starts around page 3

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794015
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #178
Barefoot-335is
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Coupe

This is the first Automatic that I have owned in 20 years of BMW ownership and I hope that I don't regret it.
I have had several older e28's, M5, e24's, M635i, e34's and an e46 ZHP 6mt all which have been sticks and very trustworthy/bullet proof. I traded the 06 ZHP in on an 08 335i because the auto impressed me so much.
I had driven a coupe with stick and the 335i stick just doesn't accelerate like the autos do, not trying to start a debate about auto vs stick, and I can shift a stick as quick as anyone else but this my opinion.
I have had the car for a year now and find that I miss the e46 ZHP.
No, it wasn't as quick as the 335i but IMO a better car especially when it comes to serviceability and user friendliness.
I traded my ZHP mit 58k on it, Never had any issues, the e90 now has 34k on it and the tranny is starting to shift very firm and after reading all the other horror stories with the trannies it makes me wish that I had never broke my rule of "NO Automatic BMW's". This has always been my rule due to the cost of replacing them. Not keen on the No Dipsticks either, engine oil or transmission. It's just kind of stupid to have to crawl under the car to check fluid level.
The ZHP held it's value great, the bottom is dropping out of the e90's faster than a lead balloon.
Newer cars are not an investment but I would hate to get soaked on the value and the reliability too.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #179
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi

Nevahhhh!
Love my 6AT. Drove stick for 26 years. That's long enough. Now I can read, illegally use my phone, surf the net, drink, eat... and drive, all at the same time, rush hour or not. It's fantastic.

My Cinderella is a DD for me and 90% of my commute is highway, and 90% of the time that 90% is 90% pain in the pooper stop and go. For the guy who said "who cares, just change gears" or whatever - you either have knees of steel or have never done the clutch-pedal-stair-master workout for 2 hours. It's tedious and it *sucks*. I do occasionally miss MT for the rare moments when I get fed up and hot-dog it to break free of the surrounding mine field of morons (who probably call me the same thing ), but DS usually does the job for that well enough. I hate the downshift-hunt when I stomp on it, and the M-shifting is *NOT* a good simulation for stick-shifting... except maybe for gears M3, M5, and M6...those ones make me chuckle every time.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #180
Dan_335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I love my MT, test drove both before I bought it. I've been driving stick for over 10 years and traffic or no traffic, all auto pilot now... who cares if an auto might be .2 of a sec quicker... I can J-turn, e-brake turn and drift.. All advanced *driver* skills, if your car can't do them, well you're just plain old missing out grandpa!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:23 AM   #181
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

I love to drive MT vehicles, but once you get married... you have to compromise and get an Auto for the wifey. My solution was to keep all my cars, so I have all my old MT vehicles and the newer vehicles are going to be auto for her. I have a feeling that some form of DCT is going to be the future of all car manufacturers... so we all have to get used to it.

I just feel like driving a MT is a lot more interesting then when mindlessly driving an automatic. I feel more in control and confident in MT vs an Auto. Plus the non-sense of thinking a MT is harder to drive in traffic is crazy, I hate having to keep my foot on the brake in an Auto at all times in stop-and-go traffic when I was in SoCal. That same commute in horrible stop-and-go traffic is far easier in a MT when I don't have to press any pedals and just let the car roll. The problem usually is people don't know how to properly drive in bad traffic.

Last edited by fazman; 04-15-2013 at 01:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #182
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

Haven't read all 9 pages, so not sure if this has been said, but is the 6AT 335i in the US really Faster and more fuel efficient?

I dont know how different US spec cars are compared to here in Europe, but here the 6MT is Faster to 62 (by 0.2) gets better MPG (by 1 lol!) and produces less emissions. (by 3 g/km)

Now I am not trying to stir up the which is faster debate, just so surprised to see this argument flipped on its head state side.
Over there, the 6MT is the one to pick if you want speed.

The DCT is obviously a different story.

On the new M135i, all the above is turned on its head. The 8AT is Faster / More fficeient / less emissions, but this is one of the First Auto cars (thats not DCT where its better on any of the 3, let alone all 3 stats)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #183
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
I love to drive MT vehicles, but once you get married... you have to compromise and get an Auto for the wifey.
Or one *could* choose a wife who knows how to drive MT vehicles. Just sayin...

Quote:
That same commute in horrible stop-and-go traffic is far easier in a MT when I don't have to press any pedals and just let the car roll.
That's workable in light traffic. Once it gets heavy in ATL any gap you leave will be filled by cars from lanes to either side, forcing you to still come to a stop.

(BTW if you're keeping your foot on the brake in an Auto at all times, you're doing it wrong)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #184
alexukie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

auto a dct are boooooooring.. 6mt all the way
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #185
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
Or one *could* choose a wife who knows how to drive MT vehicles. Just sayin...
LOL working on getting the wifey to learn to drive one of my other cars... i think she did well for learning to drive on her first car ever on a FBO 335xi, originally i tried to teach her on my 5-speed manual truck... but that was too hard to learn both driving and stick shift at the same time. Now after 1 year under her belt... I think she can try the 5-speed stick on weekends. Then need to teach her rev matching and how to shift with no clutch

Quote:
That's workable in light traffic. Once it gets heavy in ATL any gap you leave will be filled by cars from lanes to either side, forcing you to still come to a stop.

(BTW if you're keeping your foot on the brake in an Auto at all times, you're doing it wrong)
I hear ya, didn't mean to imply riding the brakes, but if you have every been on the 101 freeway in SoCal or the 405 freeway in SoCal, you know what I mean about slow traffic. If the cars in front of you move up at a slow rate which is not fast enough for idle rolling speed in an automatic... then you need to ride the brakes. Which is not an issue in a manual because I can control the push off speed/rate and just let it roll in neutral after that.

Same with spacing in traffic, your right, you need to keep enough staggered space so people can't cut in... but at the same time so you can keep rolling without the stop/go effect. I've got about 750k miles in my life of SoCal traffic
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #186
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If the cars in front of you move up at a slow rate which is not fast enough for idle rolling speed in an automatic... then you need to ride the brakes. Which is not an issue in a manual because I can control the push off speed/rate and just let it roll in neutral after that.
Good explanation.

In Atlanta it seems there's an emphasis on the STOP! and on the GO!. Full stop for a ten count to 20-30mph to full stop again, repeat. If you don't keep up with the folks ahead of you, people from neighboring lanes fill the gap. Sometimes your clutch/roll-in-neutral works well enough, but usually in my experience either the road grade or traffic speeds precludes doing so effectively.

I owned a manual transmission car for 13 years, many of which were in Atlanta traffic, so I do sort of know a little about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #187
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good explanation.

In Atlanta it seems there's an emphasis on the STOP! and on the GO!. Full stop for a ten count to 20-30mph to full stop again, repeat. If you don't keep up with the folks ahead of you, people from neighboring lanes fill the gap. Sometimes your clutch/roll-in-neutral works well enough, but usually in my experience either the road grade or traffic speeds precludes doing so effectively.

I owned a manual transmission car for 13 years, many of which were in Atlanta traffic, so I do sort of know a little about it.

Yea I figure you knew what I'm talking about and yea SoCal traffic is like how you described in ATL as well (traffic comes in all forms/shapes). Now that I'm in NJ... I just take a train into the city and watch movies on my laptop as I commute.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #188
nynyny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92

A manual transmission makes even the slowest car at least some what pleasurable to drive. Driven my friend's DCT and while it was fast and smooth, I missed having that connection with the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #189
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynyny View Post
A manual transmission makes even the slowest car at least some what pleasurable to drive. Driven my friend's DCT and while it was fast and smooth, I missed having that connection with the car.
You, sir, have never driven a Lancia Ypsilon.
      04-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #190
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I just take a train into the city and watch movies on my laptop as I commute.
I kinda wish I had that option some days, envied that when I was working at a client site near Parsippany a while back. ATL train infrastructure isn't like it is up there.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #191
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I kinda wish I had that option some days, envied that when I was working at a client site near Parsippany a while back. ATL train infrastructure isn't like it is up there.
It's still a toss up for me, which would I prefer... a nice ride but always in traffic OR leave the vehicles at home and commute via bus/train?

I always get mad when I miss my train/bus and think... if i only had my car I can go whenever I want. I could also use my vehicle as a locker to carry my stuff.

Then I remember, gas is pricy, traffic is boring unless you have nice tunes to listen to, and cops/tickets suck!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #192
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

NO.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #193
bimmerben335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan Space grey

NEVER will i go to Auto. Ive been poisioned by 6mt
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #194
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

I used to hate autos, but these ZF trannies are really fantastic and quick with better torque output than the manuals on the e90s. Next car will hopefully have a DCT. My gf's gti has a DCT and the thing is just so much fun to drive.
      04-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #195
messi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i MSport Coupe 6AT

I sold my fairly modded auto 335i and bought a 6fwd Mini Cooper jcw. I won't be buying an auto in a hurry. Boy did I miss a proper manual sports car
      04-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #196
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
I don't regret it at all. It's fun enough as a primary car for everyday driving and for the regular work commute. When I have more money though, I'll definitely be getting a manual transmission car for the weekends/occasional weekday drives.
      04-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #197
bizzle
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Melbourne Red

I hunted for 7 months for an e92 335i with a 6mt and low km's. It came to a point where I was about to give up and settle...Finally I found one and I'm so glad I waited....after you throw in a weighted zhp shifter it is a good gear box...that floaty first to second shift becomes direct

I am lucky enough to have a second auto car to drive on rainy days and when I know the traffic could be bad .

That being said I had an e36 with the 5mt with the old cable clutch I drove that for ten years and an e30 5mt for 5 years. With the newer clutches being hydrolic I wouldn't have a problem with it in traffic.
2019 VW Jetta Black (wife's car) 6 spd Manual
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #198
etichi
Slow,fast,slow, then you die.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 07,AA short shifter, COBB

Quote:
Good explanation.

I think its the nature of driving a standard. It is either balls to the wall or creeping.

By the way, I find it funny when people are vying for the best possible position in traffic. People need to chill.
Appreciate 0