E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please Help Me Chose My First Bmw!

05-02-2015, 02:50 AM   #23
jb3617
show me potato salad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
I sold my 2006 330xi on Craigslist a couple week ago. I listed it @ 8 AM and had about 8 replies and sold it for cash at 3:30 that afternoon. My car was well-maintained and still in great shape, and the buyer is pleased.
i stand corrected. i should have said avoid most craiglists deals. you are the exception to the rule.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 06:42 AM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

OP, there is some good advice here. $11K for a 2006 325i seems a bit high, unless it is in really nice shape and has low miles. That said, you really need to listen to the advice about owning a BMW if you are tight on cash. These cars are expensive to maintain at dealership level service and slightly better using Indys, but nonetheless they are expensive to maintain. Now, if you turn your own wrenches the picture gets much better, because on-line part prices are reasonable, and there are tons of technical DIY info available on E90 Post and other sites.

The 2006 E90 325i is a tank as far as reliability and longevity, but it takes money to keep it that way. Almost any N52 will need a thermostat/water pump replacement, and will need a OFH profile gasket repair. There is a less chance for a valve cover replacement and rare need to replace a broken head bolt (its outside of the valve cover).

The 330i N52 motor is a better engine (I've got one in my Z4) , but tapped with AWD, might take away some of that advantage, and the drivetrain is just far more complex with additional seals to start leaking and complicating almost any repair near the engine (read as increased maintenance cost for you).

All that said, if you think you really want a 335i because of the power it offers, then the 325i might not be for you. And 335i are more expensive to own than the N52. One thing I can assure you after my 27 years of BMW ownership, is BMWs break.

Good luck with the decision.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
      05-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #25
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Buy a used BMW from a dealer. 07-10 335i has the n54 motor, which yields the most bang for your buck when doing mods because of the true twin turbo set up.

Any dealer worth their salt will only sell a used e90 that is in good/great condition. Most trade ins go off to auction. So, if the dealer is willing to sell it, most likely its in good shape.

Most BMW dealers don't want the bad rap in their 30 mile radius for selling used BMW's that don't hold up and end up costing the consumer tons of money to fix or get out of.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #26
TheLeusOne
RepeatBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Mineral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender rodriguez View Post
lol I never do get why people say buy a Toyota. To me that just shows BMW is crap because you pay more but have problems out the ass.
BMWs aren't crap, they're just high strung and built to tight tolerances from the factory....much like your Audi. It leaves less margin for error on repairs, and if improperly wrenched or maintenance is neglected more problems will arise. Economy cars like Hondas and toyotas have more leniency int their tolerances for maintenance primarily because 200hp is not pushing the limits of their components as much. However, using an NSX or lexus F model as an example, they are more like a BMW and require tighter tolerances and more careful/expensive maintenance.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #27
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 '07 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
Some good comments above who clearly have your best interests at heart.

I'm 26 and i went from a e36 to e46 then finally to e90. When i got the e46 i could have cleared out my account and got a e90 but i chose not to because if it does go wrong i would have had to sell a kidney as the parts are more.

My advice would be get a e46 bro, it will cost you half the money and they are really fun cars to drive and work on. In a couple years time you can move to the newer shapes and get your dream 335..or m3..who knows.
Im addicted to the e90 thats my problem. Something about the boxy look of the older models puts me off the wrong way a little. I still believe they are beautiful cars but my heart is stuck like a magnet to the newer look.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #28
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
I just hope we reached this kid in time.. He was supposed to be buying his car today.
I got the car inspected like many suggested. and it needed a new head gasket so it turned him down. I'm getting a lot of good support in the forums i appreciate the community help.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #29
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longdoggy View Post
What's your income look like? If your a student and/or have no job and no generous parents don't buy a bmw with all of your 11k.

If you do have income and decent credit, put 10k down on a CPO and just make your payments and drive worry free.
I'm getting a summer job, my parents help me out here and there but I have saved up all my money myself. There are against the idea of me getting a BMW but they understand that I'm really stuck to it so they are willing to help me a little.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #30
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Verse, the voice of experience with ownership of two cars purchased NEW and driven to 130-140k miles, an E36 and E46...

Both cars solid until about 95-100K miles, with general exception of water pump and thermostat that are legendary for failure in BMWs about every 50-70K miles (although some water pumps go to 120K -- or even story of 200K that I read -- before failing!). Then around 100K miles or 10-11 years, all sorts of things start needing replacement and refurbishment, and my own experience is about $1000-3000 each year.

On my E46 325i I spent
  • $2400 in the 90-100K range (wheel bearings, belts, camshaft sensor, fuel pump)
  • $2600 in the 115k range (water pump, thermostat, oil level sensor, valve cover gasket, oil filter gasket)
  • $3400 in the 128K range (windshield washer pump, alternator and A/C belt tensioner/idler/pulley, power steering hoses, radiator expansion tank, CCV)

...and ALL were 'repairs' to replace worn out aged parts, and
NONE of that was for any 'maintenance' items in the same time interval (oil, filters, brakes, wheel alignment, tires, spark plugs, fuel filter, fluid flushes, wiper blades), all of which obviously cost money as normal operational expenses.
(Prices shown were for BMW dealer work in CA, not independent shop which might save a bit on labor and parts.)

My point is not to scare you, but to open your eyes to the reality of owning ANY car with 100-150K miles. It might be a bit less for a Toyota than a BMW for a comparable repair, but all the same kinds of things fail due to wear and age!

With sophistication (more fancy options and/or performance tuning) comes higher cost for repairs (iDrive, HID adaptive lights failing, turbo wears out) and maintenance (walnut blasts, new spark plugs at 45K rather than 100k, etc.)

Last edited by Wilt; 05-02-2015 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #31
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the support and help everyone! I've had a lot of good tips about what I do. For all the people suggesting that I stay away from a BMW, I know I should but my heart is stuck to it and I cant stay away. I've been convinced that a xi model is not the way to go due to performance reasons, so ill stick with rwd. For the people suggesting a older model I dont really like the older style (still beautiful cars) and would like to stay with 2006+ models. Im considering leasing/ financing a 335i, if I can get any help about doing this that would be great. Love this community and looking forward to being a part of it!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #32
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arian View Post
. Im considering leasing/ financing a 335i, if I can get any help about doing this that would be great. Love this community and looking forward to being a part of it!
To reiterate what I just said in previous post, "It might be a bit less for a Toyota than a BMW for a comparable repair, but all the same kinds of things fail due to wear and age!
With sophistication (more fancy options and/or performance tuning) comes higher cost for repairs (iDrive, HID adaptive lights failing, turbo wears out) and maintenance (walnut blasts, new spark plugs at 45K rather than 100k, etc.)"
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #33
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

you'll need a co signer if you've never had a car in your name. but if you can get a cosigner you will be able to afford a nice 335 with that money down you have. keep some for parts if you dont get a warranty.

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #34
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audaci42 View Post
you'll need a co signer if you've never had a car in your name. but if you can get a cosigner you will be able to afford a nice 335 with that money down you have. keep some for parts if you dont get a warranty.
I think that's what i am starting to lean towards. I'm not very knowledgeable about leasing or financing. Which one do you suggest that I peruse?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #35
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Thanks for all the support and help everyone! I've had a lot of good tips about what I do. For all the people suggesting that I stay away from a BMW, I know I should but my heart is stuck to it and I cant stay away. I've been convinced that a xi model is not the way to go due to performance reasons, so ill stick with rwd. For the people suggesting a older model I dont really like the older style (still beautiful cars) and would like to stay with 2006+ models. Im considering leasing/ financing a 335i, if I can get any help about doing this that would be great. Love this community and looking forward to being a part of it!
Don't lease, there's a plethora of fine details that one must adhere to in order to not get over-charged. If you drive a lot, that is not your option. Overall, it's simply not a good investment if you plan to keep your vehicle longer than say.. three years. You spend a decent amount of money to essentially borrow the car, as you're not working towards owning it. At times however, you are able to "buy" the vehicle at the end of the leasing period, but I'm not well versed on that aspect.

I would definitely suggest financing, for unless you have a hefty looking bank account, clearing it all out just to buy a car is certainly not economically feasible--as a matter of fact, using everything you have to buy anything isn't smart. You always want to have some money left over, as you never know what expense life may throw at you.

If you spend every last dime on a car, yeah sure you have a nice car, but then what? What are you going to eat? Rent, Mortgage, Utilities, how will that be handled? And g-d forbid a problem were to arise with the vehicle, then what? Never put yourself into an economic corner.

My advice would be, get a part-time job, if you haven't already, take $7,000 of that $11,000, use that as a downpayment on your dream 335i (if you will) in the $16k-$20k range at a reputable dealer and you'll be looking at a nice monthly/fairly affordable payment of less than $330/month with warranty.

You'll have money left over, peace of mind with warranty, and the vehicle you actually want.

You will need your parents to co-sign or have it in their name entirely in order to get the best APR and other credit mumbo-jumbo.

Why do I suggest this? Because I have done it/doing it.

Cheers!
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2015, 04:06 PM   #36
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Like others have said, if you are dead set on a BMW then save up more cash and finance once with low miles. OR simply get a low mileage Honda or Toyota with the cash you have now.

Yeah I know you want to look pimp driving around in your nice Bimmer but your car will be turning you into a hooker when your car takes a hit and you are facing a repair bill in the thousands. Nothing will be worst then getting up for class one morning and finding out that your pimp mobile wont start. The price range you are looking at will net you a car with 100k+ miles, so unless you know that it has been meticulously maintained (all fluids, filters, gaskets, water pump, spark plugs, coils replaced etc,...) you will be setting yourself up for some serious wallet raping.

BMWs ain't pimp for nothing, you better have some Benjamins on hand to keep daddy happy.

Last edited by Delta0311; 05-02-2015 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #37
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreMyWorld View Post
Don't lease, there's a plethora of fine details that one must adhere to in order to not get over-charged. If you drive a lot, that is not your option. Overall, it's simply not a good investment if you plan to keep your vehicle longer than say.. three years. You spend a decent amount of money to essentially borrow the car, as you're not working towards owning it. At times however, you are able to "buy" the vehicle at the end of the leasing period, but I'm not well versed on that aspect.

I would definitely suggest financing, for unless you have a hefty looking bank account, clearing it all out just to buy a car is certainly not economically feasible--as a matter of fact, using everything you have to buy anything isn't smart. You always want to have some money left over, as you never know what expense life may throw at you.

If you spend every last dime on a car, yeah sure you have a nice car, but then what? What are you going to eat? Rent, Mortgage, Utilities, how will that be handled? And g-d forbid a problem were to arise with the vehicle, then what? Never put yourself into an economic corner.

My advice would be, get a part-time job, if you haven't already, take $7,000 of that $11,000, use that as a downpayment on your dream 335i (if you will) in the $16k-$20k range at a reputable dealer and you'll be looking at a nice monthly/fairly affordable payment of less than $330/month with warranty.

You'll have money left over, peace of mind with warranty, and the vehicle you actually want.

You will need your parents to co-sign or have it in their name entirely in order to get the best APR and other credit mumbo-jumbo.

Why do I suggest this? Because I have done it/doing it.

Cheers!
Thanks for the info that cleared up my questions/ concerns. Looks like I will be getting a finance towards a 335i. Luckily since I'm only 16 I don't have to worry about things like mortgages or rent just yet. My parents seem to be on board, and your suggestion of putting out 7 down instead of 10 is a great idea. Now I just have to convince them why manual (still have not learned how do drive stick yet) is better than automatic. Again thanks for all your help that was great!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 04:17 PM   #38
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info that cleared up my questions/ concerns. Looks like I will be getting a finance towards a 335i. Luckily since I'm only 16 I don't have to worry about things like mortgages or rent just yet. My parents seem to be on board, and your suggestion of putting out 7 down instead of 10 is a great idea. Now I just have to convince them why manual (still have not learned how do drive stick yet) is better than automatic. Again thanks for all your help that was great!
You're going to learn how to drive stick on a BMW that you plan on owning for years?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 04:20 PM   #39
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're going to learn how to drive stick on a BMW that you plan on owning for years?
Oh god no ! My friend said that he would teach me how to drive a manual in his VW passat/ jetta (i forgot). Trying to learn manual in the BMW would not be the smartest thing to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #40
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like others have said, if you are dead set on a BMW then save up more cash and finance once with low miles. OR simply get a low mileage Honda or Toyota with the cash you have now.

Yeah I know you want to look pimp driving around in your nice Bimmer but your car will be turning you into a hooker when your car takes a hit and you are facing a repair bill in the thousands. Nothing will be worst then getting up for class one morning and finding out that your pimp mobile wont start. The price range you are looking at will net you a car with 100k+ miles, so unless you know that it has been meticulously maintained (all fluids, filters, gaskets, water pump, spark plugs, coils replaced etc,...) you will be setting yourself up for some serious wallet raping.

BMWs ain't pimp for nothing, you better have some Benjamins on hand to keep daddy happy.
Im actually looking at a 07 335i with 85k miles and the carfax are clean nothing to worry about on that standpoint. I would just have to get it inspected. And im planning on keeping about 4k for backup and using my job to cover monthly payments (which I calculated and I still have money to spare after). So I think im all covered... I hope. Thanks for the concern though I totally understand what your saying and it really opens my eyes about what sort of a mess im driving into.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #41
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevojanyan
I bought my car off Craigslist and it was owned by a nice gentlemen from the army who took malicious care of it, guess I got lucky....
Lol @ "malicious care"
      05-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #42
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Im actually looking at a 07 335i with 85k miles and the carfax are clean nothing to worry about on that standpoint. I would just have to get it inspected. And im planning on keeping about 4k for backup and using my job to cover monthly payments (which I calculated and I still have money to spare after). So I think im all covered... I hope. Thanks for the concern though I totally understand what your saying and it really opens my eyes about what sort of a mess im driving into.
Get it inspected.. At this mileage everything i noted in my previous post should have been replaced. Carfax does not report everything, so don't put your money on it.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #43
phubar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 Vert

Skimmed thru didn't see insurance being brought up.at 16yo u r looking at a least $200/mo in the 335, something to consider as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #44
phillycx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i sedan

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longdoggy
What's your income look like? If your a student and/or have no job and no generous parents don't buy a bmw with all of your 11k.

If you do have income and decent credit, put 10k down on a CPO and just make your payments and drive worry free.
This is actually a really good idea and probably the way I would go.
Appreciate 0