E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Wiring Diagram

07-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E92

Wiring Diagram

Any help with wiring diagrams would help. I dont yet fully understand what stays in the trunk and what is removed. I have a perception that I need to remove the headliner to get at the roof atenna to rewire what is hooked to the SDARS and ULF????
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

FUAX iDRIVE

Goota stop foolin the neighbors
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

Is this for Internet Service
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Starting from the top.

The first module with the pink connector attached is the SDARS module. The pink connector is the SDARS signal coming from the antenna. That would need to be rerouted to the pink connector on the back of the CIC.

The second module with all your TCU (Telematics for BMW Assist and Bluetooth Module). You may have a module underneath that as well, which would be the MULF2 High (used for 6FL and the USB port in the glovebox), but I can't tell. (If you can check, that would help). The connector with the blue tag above it is the GPS signal cable (second from the left), that would need to be disconnected and rerouted to the blue connector on the back of the CIC.

So, first things first. Instead of going through all the trouble of taking down the headliner and messing around with the shark fin aerial. My suggestion would to be create/purchase etc extension cables to extend the SDARS and GPS antennas from the trunk to the headunit location. That way you can easily swap back to the original setup without much fuss, just disconnect the extension cable and reconnect to the module.

The SDARS cable would need to be a Male FAKRA H connector to a Female FAKRA H connector (FAKRA H is pinkish in color, the official color code is Heather Violet).

The GPS cable would need to be a Male FAKRA C connector to a Female FAKRA C connector (FAKRA C is blue in color, the official color code is Signal Blue). I could be wrong on the Male FAKRA C connector part, I'll have to go check the cabling in my car to verify it. It might be a standard SMBA type connector.

The last picture with the wiring diagram. That's just the wiring diagram for the Combox (the successor of the TCU). You won't be able to get internet access to the CIC over the TCU, at least not via tethering your phone. You'll have to replace the TCU with a Combox (there's other special considerations to that as well, if you get Combox Media or Combox Telematics). However, I would hold off on worrying about that until you have your CIC in and fully working before worrying about a Combox retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

At a quick glance

The TCU pic shows wiring (bottom Left corner) running under the unit attaching to something other than the TCU. Is some of that the Fibre Optics?.

I will investigate it tonight.

I slept on just how involved I should initially become and you make a great deal of sense holding off with a combox setup. Thanks for your input
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvprodoti View Post
The TCU pic shows wiring (bottom Left corner) running under the unit attaching to something other than the TCU. Is some of that the Fibre Optics?.

I will investigate it tonight.

I slept on just how involved I should initially become and you make a great deal of sense holding off with a combox setup. Thanks for your input
Most likely there's another device underneath the TCU called a MULF. The MULF is responsible for your iPod/USB connection in your center armrest. You won't have to worry about it for anything during the CIC retrofit, no wiring changes are required at this time. When it comes time to retrofit the Combox, you'll replace both the TCU and the MULF with a Combox (there's a special adapter cable you can get from the retrofit vendors to simply connect to the TCU and MULF cabling and connect to the Combox, making it 100% PnP).

But yes, the cables running underneath are fibre optic cables. The TCU and the MULF communicate over the MOST (Media Oriented System Transport) which is fibre optic based to the Radio/Navigation unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Where will the screen of the CIC be located?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Where will the screen of the CIC be located?
Oh! I forgot to mention: my passenger will be holding it
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

A few more Questions

1: Who produces the best aftermarket FAKRA cables ?

2: Is the four pin connector for the controller and the eight pin connector
for the CID have wiring diagrams for where they connect to the JBE

3: Also can they be made or do the have to be purchased OEM

Last edited by Learning Man; 07-18-2013 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: Additon
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

Fibre Optic Loop

I see three fibre optic connections one for the TCU, one for the MULF and one for the SDARS. Is there anything that needs to be done differently with them, like what I have to do with the GPS & SDARS Farka's?

BTW, everytime I have looked at this setup, the SDARS fan is on!! why?, does it have to do with the temperature of the unit; which I find strange because the vehicle has been sitting asleep for atleast three-four hours.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

Understanding a Controller WD

I would appreciate some shared knowledge. I understand the abbreviation color code system, but would like to know the following:
1.Does the .35 & .5 refer to wire gague?
2.What does 30G<27 mean?
3.What are all the green writing referencing?
4.I think the H & L in K-CAN refer to High & Low. If you would shed some light on what is meant by High & Low, it will be appreciated.
5.This is a WD as of Sept. 07 for the E90, 91 & 92. Has it changed since then, because the WD for up to Sept. 07 have some different call outs. (wire color change) and F13/30G<13 instead of F27/30G<27 going to the JB.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Controller As of Sept. 07.pdf (25.3 KB, 859 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #12
voucher76
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01), E92 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning Man View Post
I would appreciate some shared knowledge. I understand the abbreviation color code system, but would like to know the following:
1.Does the .35 & .5 refer to wire gague?
2.What does 30G<27 mean?
3.What are all the green writing referencing?
4.I think the H & L in K-CAN refer to High & Low. If you would shed some light on what is meant by High & Low, it will be appreciated.
5.This is a WD as of Sept. 07 for the E90, 91 & 92. Has it changed since then, because the WD for up to Sept. 07 have some different call outs. (wire color change) and F13/30G<13 instead of F27/30G<27 going to the JB.
1 Yes . But those figures are in mm(milimeters)

2 and 4. I have attached a PDF explaining the bus system of the 3 series, It's a some reading but faily informative.
Really don't worry too much about understanding the whole bus system, just make sure all wires are connected to the correct pins and connectors

3. The green writing on the diagram is the connector number. Every connector in your car has a number.
Eg. on the PDF of the controller you have attached, the X11003 is the connector on the back the JB panel(you will have to flip the JB to get access to it)
The X10387 is the connector on the controller, and the 1,2,3,4 of course Refers to the pin number on that connector. Really quite simple.

5. I believe that WD you have attached is the latest. please see my response to your other thread and compare yourself.

"The F13/30G<13 instead of F27/30G<27"... The F13 is fuse number 13 and 30G is the PCB attached to the Junction Box.
In the PDF you have attached, the sep. 2007 onwards the fuse number for the controller is 27 with a 5 AMP fuse.(F27).
So if the fuses are missing in the JB, you will have to add the fuse with correct AMP. Hope that makes sense.

Further you will have to connect 4 wires from the CID to the X14272, which is located on the front of the JB. Please See my DIY for correct location of the X14272! You might have to add a fuse as well.

Hope that answers some of the questions.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf manuals-3er-e90-12.pdf (1.50 MB, 3707 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

This PDF is, to date, is the most valuable document that has become available for my quest. I am printing it as I write.

I will review your comments and move forward
Appreciate 0