E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Level overfilled or not? "OK" Vs "<MAX"

02-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
RicheyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [8.34]
Oil Level overfilled or not? "OK" Vs "<MAX"

Okay long story short. My oil light came on saying to add +1 quart. I bring it to the dealership to get it topped off. While I was waiting inside, I look out the window and I see him with two bottles of oil. I went outside and asked why do you have 2 quarts of oil when it says it only needs +1 quart. He tells me he just poured 1 quart of the bottled in and used the 2nd bottle to add only a tiny bit more so I won't have to keep coming back for a low oil warning. This scared me as I don't want to overfill and BMW says no more than 1 quart in the manual. From what he told me it looks like he poured no more than 1 quart and a half in it. Prob 1 Quart and just slightly more.

I drove around all night my oil indicator says oil level "OK" everytime I checked. It's actually showing one bar less than full. Am I okay here? I read the bmw manual and it says it'll indicate you if your oil level is ever too high with the code ">MAX". It doesn't show that at all. Am I safe?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

You'll be okay, but I'd go back to the SA and ask WTF. The dealer doesn't seem to know what the heck he is doing. Sad when a BMW tech doesn't even follow the recomendations of the manufacturer.

Next time, get the oil yourself and add it as a DIY.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
RicheyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [8.34]
Yeah, letting it go this time. Since my oil level is saying it's okay it's fine, i'm not too mad. But for sure next time i'll do it myself or make sure to remind the tech person to add ONLY 1 quart in the future.
Appreciate 0