E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Radar Detector placement

05-29-2008, 12:23 AM   #1
schorney
335 xi
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 xi Black Sapphire

Garage List
2007 335 xi  [0.00]
Radar Detector placement

I am about to do a Radar Detector hardwire and have noticed that most of you are installing the detector next to the rear view mirror. Does the Radar Detector performance decrease looking through the tint on the upper part of the windshield?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Icedog_16
No Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

No. Only problem you have is with the infrared-reflecting windshields and they usually have a hole in the in treatment to allow for mounting of a radar detector or SunPass/EZPass.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
itsxtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Nice

In the v1 owners manual though it recommends not placing in the uppermost portion where there is a strip of tint.
but your call!
      05-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
nmcampbell
On The Highway To Hell
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i jt blk/lemon

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schorney View Post
I am about to do a Radar Detector hardwire and have noticed that most of you are installing the detector next to the rear view mirror. Does the Radar Detector performance decrease looking through the tint on the upper part of the windshield?
I placed mine so the bottom of the V1 is resting right on the top of the left hand side of the rear-view mirror. The suction cups for the V1 are on the tint line but that puts the front of the V1 itself just below the tint line. It works excellent, judging by the many radar pick ups I've had just in the last few days alone.

The rear "window" of the V1 is very partially blocked by the upper control on the headliner but it still works like a charm. It picked up a CHP from quite a distance back not too long ago and as he got closer, the signal got stronger.

I bought some felt strips from Home Depot with one sided tape on one side, felt on the other. I put that on the bottom of my V1 where it rests on the mirror. It helped stabilize it (thus, no "shaking" here on our lovely Los Angeles roads) and keeps the mirror and the V1 from getting banged up.
09' E92 M3 / Jerez Black / Black / Carbon Leather Trim / Technology / Premium / 19" Wheels / DCT / Enhanced Sound / Sat radio / iPod cable / Smartphone integration / PDC / V1 (Hardwired)/ Black Fuzzy Dice / (Delivered 4/17/09)
Appreciate 0