E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear rotors + pads suggestions

02-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Cripple
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12' 335is

Rear rotors + pads suggestions

Hi guys,

It's that time of year to replace my rear pads and rotors. I'm looking for a drilled pair of rotors that are of good quality. I am looking at the stoptech rear rotors on Tirerack.com. Do you have any other suggestions as to where to purchase these?
As well as brake pads, I am looking for OEM quality, if not better. I do not have any track events so I'd like something with less dust and less noise as well.

Due to limitations with my wheels I can't run a big brake kit in the rear so this is the next big thing
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

I'm newer to BMW here, but everything i've been reading in these forums tells me that Zimmermann rotors are a good investment. They come plain, slotted, and drilled.

Folks seem to like Akebono pads as well. There's a good coupon for Advance Auto that'll help with the brakes.

See my thread posted today in this section of the forums.
      03-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
TC Kline Racing
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's & Porsche's

Why do you want 'drilled' rotors? It will eat your pads much faster, and is more susceptible to cracking. Just do some blanks or slotted (if you want performance for the track, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Kline Racing View Post
Why do you want 'drilled' rotors? It will eat your pads much faster, and is more susceptible to cracking. Just do some blanks or slotted (if you want performance for the track, etc.)
Its not really needed, but drilled rotors do help with dissipating heat, stronger brake feel, and saving weight. Of course heavy track use will put more stress and in general a drilled rotor will be weaker, thus susceptible to cracking. Slotted would be best ifso. However i do feel Drilled rotors are perfectly fine and looks great for daily driving

porsche rotors come drilled factory, so do many motorcycles.

People have their reason to want what they want. Most BBK comes with drilled rotors should they not get that?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
TC Kline Racing
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's & Porsche's

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
Its not really needed, but drilled rotors do help with dissipating heat, stronger brake feel, and saving weight. Of course heavy track use will put more stress and in general a drilled rotor will be weaker, thus susceptible to cracking. Slotted would be best ifso. However i do feel Drilled rotors are perfectly fine and looks great for daily driving

porsche rotors come drilled factory, so do many motorcycles.

People have their reason to want what they want. Most BBK comes with drilled rotors should they not get that?
Whoa, easy killer

Just trying to understand. I just think paying extra for drilled rotors is overkill, especially for a DD. Yes, Porsches come with drilled rotors, but you also pay for it when you replace them.

There indeed may be reason to want what they want, just curious what that is....that's all Just trying to help a guy completely understand his options.....
Appreciate 0