E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil Catch Cans

08-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saph 335i coupe 6mt

Oil Catch Cans

Has anyone tried the OCC's from Weapon R, Greddy, Perrin, etc? I was really thinking about the McKinney Raceworks OCC, but the price seems a little high, no mounting bracket, no connector hoses or fittings, 10 days + to get, etc. I just din't know if any of these others would work, are good, etc? I know about the Riss OCC, but there have been many mixed opinions and reviews on that. Thanks.

Cheers
Performance |PROcede V5|Stett CAI|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|AA Intercooler|RPI Scoops|Stett Charge Pipe w/Forge DV's|UUC Evo3 SSK/DSSR|Mod CDV Style |Aero Lip|Aero rear|Aero Spoiler|M-Tech Side Skirts|Black Calipers|Black Grille|Black Shadow emblem|Black Vinyl Wrapped Window Trim|35%Tint|Tinted Tails|Style 230 19"rims|Lux H8'sTech |Nav|Cold Weather|Premium|Comfort Access|Sport|
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

I didn't know that Weapon R or Greddy made them, and I've never heard of Perrin. Those first two companies are much more common in the JDM scene.

I will however toss in the bit of info that the RISS can recently underwent a bit of a redesign and is now guaranteed against leaks, etc. People have been using them with great success.

Best of luck whichever one you choose!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlevi SW View Post
I didn't know that Weapon R or Greddy made them, and I've never heard of Perrin. Those first two companies are much more common in the JDM scene.

I will however toss in the bit of info that the RISS can recently underwent a bit of a redesign and is now guaranteed against leaks, etc. People have been using them with great success.

Best of luck whichever one you choose!
Can I get a trade in for my really leaky Riss can?

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Hey Cincy ...... what's happenin' bro!

PM ThorsHammer since I believe he has the McKinney occ without issues. FWIW, I have the Riss occ and have had zero issues with it. Guessing it's a hit or miss deal.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Makushr1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan Auto

The Riss OCC leaks? I guess I shoudl check mine out, havent looked under the hood in awhile.

Where does it leak from?

To Do (Cosmetic): Black Line lights, Lux 4.0 Angel Eyes, 19" CSL HyperBlack
To Do (Performance): Exhaust (still undecided which brand), SSTT, FMIC (unsure what type)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
I have a greddy can with riss racing hose kit, anodized fittings and a custom bracket
      08-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
Ramppo
Cruiser
Rep
Drives: bmw 335 e92

My RR occ leaked pretty much every screw hole in the can itself, i read a good test here from the forum to check the leaks, just put the can together with all the screws and hoses then put it in the bucket with full of water close one of the hoses with your thumb and blow in the other as hard as you can, if you see any bubbles comeing out of the can its leaking from that point.
I used "screw glue" to seal the leaks and it been working flawless after that.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
Hey Cincy ...... what's happenin' bro!

PM ThorsHammer since I believe he has the McKinney occ without issues. FWIW, I have the Riss occ and have had zero issues with it. Guessing it's a hit or miss deal.
Hey Toad...hope all is well in Texas! Going to Nashville in about a week and a half, your old stompin ground! Yeah I guess it is a hit or miss thing?!?

I just really wanted to see, since I have heard of Greddy but never really heard of Weapon R and Perrin? Anyone have these on this car or any others?These OCC's look really good, good price points, and come with mounting hardware and hoses. I just thought they may be a good alternative to the iffy Riss can and the McKinney can? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers
Performance |PROcede V5|Stett CAI|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|AA Intercooler|RPI Scoops|Stett Charge Pipe w/Forge DV's|UUC Evo3 SSK/DSSR|Mod CDV Style |Aero Lip|Aero rear|Aero Spoiler|M-Tech Side Skirts|Black Calipers|Black Grille|Black Shadow emblem|Black Vinyl Wrapped Window Trim|35%Tint|Tinted Tails|Style 230 19"rims|Lux H8'sTech |Nav|Cold Weather|Premium|Comfort Access|Sport|
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Just for general information...Perrin is big with the Subie crowd. Im still waiting on that "perfect" OCC option as well.
      08-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep

How about Boomba, Simota or Cusco? The Simota and Boomba look like cool catch cans? Do all OCC basically work the same? Some sites have them listed as a styling mod...WTF?? The Simota site even goes as far as saying it really isn't a performance mod?

from the Simota USA site

WHAT IT DOES: An oil catch can installs between your crankcase vent and intake system, replacing the traditional factory vent lines and catching oil that would otherwise enter the intake system. There are several advantages to this. First oil build up is reduced; over time oil can build up inside the turbocharger, intake manifold, intercooler, and piping - causing a 'gumming' condition. Second, a catch can prevents oil from getting in pressured turbo plumbing -- a condition that can lead to couplers blowing off under boost. Finally, oil vapor in the intake system lowers combustion temperatures and diminishes efficiency. While it's not a performance mod - an oil catch can gives you a little added security, makes sure you're getting the most from your mods and looks great under the hood.

I do understand that it does give some piece of mind and "catch" possible harmful oil from entering the itake system and IC, but do all OCC accomplish this task as good as the next? If so it kind of comes down to ease of install, price and style? Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramppo View Post
My RR occ leaked pretty much every screw hole in the can itself, i read a good test here from the forum to check the leaks, just put the can together with all the screws and hoses then put it in the bucket with full of water close one of the hoses with your thumb and blow in the other as hard as you can, if you see any bubbles comeing out of the can its leaking from that point.
I used "screw glue" to seal the leaks and it been working flawless after that.
I don't want to buy another catch can or I might sell mine. When you mention the leaky screws, did you mean the ones on the side or the ones on top? Mine leaks at the bottom level indicator. Pissed me off since it spill all over the exhaust area and stained everything. Since removing it, I cleaned it all up though.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #12
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhn1 View Post
I don't want to buy another catch can or I might sell mine. When you mention the leaky screws, did you mean the ones on the side or the ones on top? Mine leaks at the bottom level indicator. Pissed me off since it spill all over the exhaust area and stained everything. Since removing it, I cleaned it all up though.
Hey Brian, how the hell have you been? I hope all is great with you. Do you have any good stories from the the track or any other stories or fun bits of insight?

So is the OCC not a worthwhile mod? Is it something that I can go without. I don't want the expense or anything else with it if it is absolutely not necessary or just an engine cosmetic type mod? Although that is why if it was a necessary mod to help protect my IC and investments, I like some that looked nice. If I need an OCC then it may as well look good too. Sorry to hear about your problems with the Riss can, that is kind of why I was avoiding that one at this time. Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I willbe doing one for mine, but I will probably make my own and use the riss install kit.
      08-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy335i View Post
Hey Brian, how the hell have you been? I hope all is great with you. Do you have any good stories from the the track or any other stories or fun bits of insight?

So is the OCC not a worthwhile mod? Is it something that I can go without. I don't want the expense or anything else with it if it is absolutely not necessary or just an engine cosmetic type mod? Although that is why if it was a necessary mod to help protect my IC and investments, I like some that looked nice. If I need an OCC then it may as well look good too. Sorry to hear about your problems with the Riss can, that is kind of why I was avoiding that one at this time. Thanks.

Doing pretty good. Haven't taken the car back to the drag strip yet. How is it doing on your side?

The OCC can be a very good mod but it is one that brings both benefits and headaches. It does an excellent job of keeping your intercooler, charge pipe, intake ducts, etc. oil free BUT it requires lots of maintenance. It should be in your oil level, tire pressure, etc. check routine. I would say it fills up about a third of the way every month especially if you're on the boost quite a lot. Any higher and it can restrict flow causing head gasket problems in your engine. Probably not the mod for the lazy or newbie.

I really think there can be a better OCC setup with shorter tubing or even direct vent to atmosphere (goes against emission standards).

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #15
Ramppo
Cruiser
Rep
Drives: bmw 335 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhn1 View Post
Mine leaked from the ones at the side but i used the screw glue for every screw hole just to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #16
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have the RR and I also have no issues whatsover....Checked last week of all the fittings and hoses and not a trace of oil....I guess Toadhollow was right its a hit or miss
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #17
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlevi SW View Post
Was there a redesign in the can itself? ...or just some addition of hose clamps and the like in the install kit?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #18
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Was there a redesign in the can itself? ...or just some addition of hose clamps and the like in the install kit?
Hose clamps from what I understand.

Cincy!!
Doing well bro ........ enjoying the runs to Nashville?
Dude, the heat here is CRAZY. Low 100s since I arrived, but then again not much rain. Car stays clean MUCH longer these days ... LOL

Stay cool man and as always ....... til ya !!!

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #19
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

Look how Mr. 5's catch can is built. That is how a proper catch can should be designed.
Appreciate 0