E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cracked tyres?

01-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
confused.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Cracked tyres?

Hi Guys,

After a bit of advice please.

I have the 19" 225 rims on my 335d with the standard Bridgestone RFT's.

One of the rears has lost pressure twice in two months, from 2.8 bar to 2.3 before i get the pressure loss warning. I've not driven more than a few miles before i have filled up with air to the correct pressure.

I had the wheel checked again this morning for cracks and nothing, they did notice a few air bubbles when they did the water test - these were coming from the back of the rim where the tyre meets the rim. I was told they would remove and re-fit the tyre with some special bonding agent to seal up any imperfections.

When the tyre came off they noticed a ring around the tyre wall on the inside, only visible with the rim off, with nothing on the outside wall - this ring which they described as a crack was again on the back of tyre not the front facing wall. I'm told this is because the tyre has been run on low pressure and been damaged. I then got them to check the other wheel and exact same thing - looking at a bill of £700 for both rears now, 280 ex vat and plus fitting costs.

Can anyone confirm if this inner wall ring/crack type appearance is a characteristic of the tyre or do they need replacing - i still have 5mm left and bit gutted they need to be changed.

Appreciate my description is a bit poor, i have a few pics if anyone can tell me how to upload.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I imagine they are in need of replacement, if one had got so bad the air is leaking out and the tyre is showing fatigue damage. If it is a crack, it is definitely shot, no question about it.

To be honest I'm not surprised that someone has found this issue. When we see some of the rear inner wear pictures, it does indicate much more load is taken on the inner wall. Lower pressure will certainly make it worse, as it is like running partially flat, and using up the 'run on flat' properties.

BTW, is the inner edge showing the signs of inner wear, even if still OK at the moment?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
confused.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I imagine they are in need of replacement, if one had got so bad the air is leaking out and the tyre is showing fatigue damage. If it is a crack, it is definitely shot, no question about it.

To be honest I'm not surprised that someone has found this issue. When we see some of the rear inner wear pictures, it does indicate much more load is taken on the inner wall. Lower pressure will certainly make it worse, as it is like running partially flat, and using up the 'run on flat' properties.

BTW, is the inner edge showing the signs of inner wear, even if still OK at the moment?

HighlandPete
Hi Pete,

The inner rears are showing signs of wear, not very much I might add, just a characteristic of the camber setup i thought.

Very disappointing to say the least, in my ownership I've always ran the correct pressure at 2.8 bar. I guess if the inner walls are compromised then i have no choice but to replace them.

Know of any places I can get the tyres in cheap, anyone? Will remain on Bridgestone rft.

Thanks

Edit: to add, I would not describe the 'ring' as a crack and the air is not seeping through this. It's merely a ring that suggests the inner wall has been taking increased load causing it to flex and indentation type marking to appear.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Yep thats what happens to RFTs.

Have you had them since new?