E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > newbie here ... still looking for a 335i .. need help :)

01-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
sunny335i
Canada
Rep
Drives: still looking for a 335i :)

newbie here ... still looking for a 335i .. need help :)

hello folks,
A very good evening to everyone. Hi, my name is Sunny and I am currently an owner of a 2006 G35 coupe.
I am in the process of changing my ride and have been doing a lot of research and testing to decide between 335i and G37. Now both are really nice cars in their own ways but i am getting too attracted towards the 335i coupe cause of its refined looks. I will miss my VQ (had 350z before and always drove Japanese imports), but change is good at time i believe, isn't it?

Ok, so i am this close to pulling the trigger on a nice 335i coupe i have in mind, in fact i have 2 on the list. 1's an '07 6MT, grey on black, 64k, canadian, no accidents, sport/premium but NO NAV ... asking price $27,999. Other one is a black on black '08 6MT sport/premium/NAV and 64k but a CPO from a BMW dealership,... asking price $37,000 ... which one do you guys think is a better choice? CPO.. any worth? Like someone has said before, should i even bother touching a BMW out of warranty?

I am also reading a lot about the HPFP and fuel injector issues with these N54 engines ... now ... how bad is that? Is it, like most cases, blown out of the proportion on this sometimes irritating internet or is it actually there and NOT worth dealing with? I would like to know some honest opinion from all of you. Cause i am sure i am not the only one who's coming from Japanese imports over to German, and as the world knows (some people might disagree, but it's OK) Japanese are rock solid built cars and i have had absolutely no issues but all good luck with all my cars until now. Now, please note i am not dissing BMW's or any other makes for that fact as i have never owned one.

Your help here is much appreciated as i am going back and forth with my decision about moving over to BMW after looking at sooooooo many people having major engine problems on here, as well as youtube ....

Cheers !!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

check out my car as well... click on the link in my sig for info on it :P

good luck buying your 335
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
bmw_fanatic
Private
Rep
Drives: f30 328

My personal thought is get the CPO it is within your budget.

For the extra 2 year and extra 80k km, you simply can not find this kind of cpo warranty from other brand.
I would say injector, hpfp are the most common issue that you can see on n54, although not all people have problems with their car but you still see people got warranty repair for several times on hpfp or injector. Piece of mind I would say if the extra money is within your budget. Have you checked the BMW shop labour rate, it is at $110-120 per hour, good luck if you have a WG rattle on one or both of your turbo and you want to replace it. For N54, I seriously recommend you get the CPO and be worry free for the first two year of your ownership.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
jin.patrick
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

CPO is a much better choice.
get the second one, black on black.

I grew up in Toronto and I live in Montreal, both cities have pretty harsh winters.
I would personally get a 335xi just because it is better on snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
sunny335i
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the reply guys. I am sure the maintenance is high, which is fine .. but the maintenance for the same issue over and over and over can get a bit irritating ... well .. let's see.

Last edited by sunny335i; 01-24-2012 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
sunny335i
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Montreal View Post
CPO is a much better choice.
get the second one, black on black.

I grew up in Toronto and I live in Montreal, both cities have pretty harsh winters.
I would personally get a 335xi just because it is better on snow.
I hear ya .... but for that i have my wife's beater car .. Nissan Altima ... lol .. she would hate me for saying that

I have always driven RWD cars and i don't think i can ever drive FWD ... AWD is fine but i would hate every moment of driving it in summers ...

Guys .. is there a way i can check the service records of a BMW?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny335i View Post
Guys .. is there a way i can check the service records of a BMW?
If all the service work was done at a BMW dealership all you need to do is call BMW NA and give them the serial number of the car you are interested in and they will send you the service history.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
sunny335i
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
If all the service work was done at a BMW dealership all you need to do is call BMW NA and give them the serial number of the car you are interested in and they will send you the service history.
Wow .. that's way simpler than i thought ... do they tell you on the phone right away or send it to you by email?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
sunny335i
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch View Post
check out my car as well... click on the link in my sig for info on it :P

good luck buying your 335
Catch ... not able to send you a PM .. what's your email? I will send you a number to reach me ... thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Hey Sunny,
I had an 05 G35 coupe, 6MT prior to my 335i and I was in the same situation as you on trying to decide which car to get. I looked at the G37 but after driving the 335 it was a day and night difference, power delivery, balance, breaking etc... is far better on the bmw.

Good luck with your search
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
sunny335i
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
Hey Sunny,
I had an 05 G35 coupe, 6MT prior to my 335i and I was in the same situation as you on trying to decide which car to get. I looked at the G37 but after driving the 335 it was a day and night difference, power delivery, balance, breaking etc... is far better on the bmw.

Good luck with your search
I totally agree with you ... I test drove the G37 and that too the IPL version and man that car needs more juice as well as minor tweaks ... small things like .. the seat bolster not hugging you properly and the thigh support was just plain useless as am tall so it didnt even touch my thighs. Tooooo much plastic around sound system and A/C controls ... Navigation screen feels way smaller than the 335i ... lol ... am so convinced to buy the 335i aint i?

Now yes reliability ... i think it's a social paranoa amongst Bimmer owners that if they are buying BMW they shouldn't have any issues... period ... my guess is that people get freaked out very easily ... Japanese cars do have good reliability but then the luxury is definitely sacrificed big time ... Drive was like OK on g37.

You came from teh same boat as me so you know exactly what mind state i am in .. especially after looking at dozens of threads regarding fuel pumps, fuel injectors, failing bulbs etc etc ... but i think am in with the style and interior of this car.

I will update the thread once i pull the trigger .... hopefully soon ... with pics
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Catch ... not able to send you a PM .. what's your email? I will send you a number to reach me ... thanks
They just emailed me the info. Naturally if they car had some work at an indy shop the history won't be on file. With BMW's 4 year all encompassing service warranty on new cars, most owners did all service at a dealer anyways!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
sunny335i
Canada
Rep

^^ true true !!

Guys ... 2008 black on black CPO with 68k on the clock ... Sport/Premium/Nav for $37,000. Is this a good price for this car or should i wait a bit more until the next gen comes on road which would prolly bring down prices for CPO '09??? I really need some guidance here cause i wanna know what a justifiable price for CPO's currently .. i have aboslutely no clue ... Prices in USA seem to be like so lowwwww.

Right now i am torn between an '07 with same options (private sale) and a CPO '08 like described above. Warranty is one thing definitely attracting me towards the CPO but wanna know what the real worth these days.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
slenfe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
^^ true true !!

Guys ... 2008 black on black CPO with 68k on the clock ... Sport/Premium/Nav for $37,000. Is this a good price for this car or should i wait a bit more until the next gen comes on road which would prolly bring down prices for CPO '09??? I really need some guidance here cause i wanna know what a justifiable price for CPO's currently .. i have aboslutely no clue ... Prices in USA seem to be like so lowwwww.

Right now i am torn between an '07 with same options (private sale) and a CPO '08 like described above. Warranty is one thing definitely attracting me towards the CPO but wanna know what the real worth these days.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Hello Sunny,

I checked BMW.ca for the car mentioned above, car is fully loaded the on the road date is good August 2008 which means you still have 12K or 6 month of original warranty which allows you to get work done before the lesser coverage CPO kicks in.

the interior "saddle brown" is unique, I am not sure how it will age though it's a personal taste and I am sure you would have a positive feeling about it as you are considering the car. one of the reasons I am mentioning interior is that you spend the majority of your time looking at it, the second my fav is red coral and I happen to have glimpsed a look at the available stock in Quebec and spotted two cars with this interior on white. I am not sure if this is for you though I'd personally would consider them.

List price seems to me at the same bulk part as the one you are looking at which is a good indicator that the dealer is asking "BMW dealers " market price many people of this forum can attest that they managed to get anywhere between 4-5% of the asking price some even better, for that if you to consider buying price at 35K I'd say it's an OK price.

now to think on waiting for 2009 models its all dependent how patient you can be to find the right car "colors, mileage, price" if warranty is what you after you will be able to pick up cars with 12 month or sometimes more left on the original warranty. though it might be a while before you find the right one. I did not mention that iDrive for 2009 is a better system as you might not find one with this option.

so in conclusion if this is the right car for you "colors and features" I'd set my price and go to negotiate with the folks at Budds, just be prepared to walk away if price is not right.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
sunny335i
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenfe View Post
Hello Sunny,

I checked BMW.ca for the car mentioned above, car is fully loaded the on the road date is good August 2008 which means you still have 12K or 6 month of original warranty which allows you to get work done before the lesser coverage CPO kicks in.

the interior "saddle brown" is unique, I am not sure how it will age though it's a personal taste and I am sure you would have a positive feeling about it as you are considering the car. one of the reasons I am mentioning interior is that you spend the majority of your time looking at it, the second my fav is red coral and I happen to have glimpsed a look at the available stock in Quebec and spotted two cars with this interior on white. I am not sure if this is for you though I'd personally would consider them.

List price seems to me at the same bulk part as the one you are looking at which is a good indicator that the dealer is asking "BMW dealers " market price many people of this forum can attest that they managed to get anywhere between 4-5% of the asking price some even better, for that if you to consider buying price at 35K I'd say it's an OK price.

now to think on waiting for 2009 models its all dependent how patient you can be to find the right car "colors, mileage, price" if warranty is what you after you will be able to pick up cars with 12 month or sometimes more left on the original warranty. though it might be a while before you find the right one. I did not mention that iDrive for 2009 is a better system as you might not find one with this option.

so in conclusion if this is the right car for you "colors and features" I'd set my price and go to negotiate with the folks at Budds, just be prepared to walk away if price is not right.
Thanks a lot for the reply. I personally like saddle over the red as red, to me, can get a bit too bright inside for my eyes. I really wanna go for Alpine White exterior but there's not a single one on lot with all options. Black is good but i already have a black car at home and it can be a PITA to keep clean .. if you know what i mean.

I haven't really tried to negotiate the price yet as i haven't finalized my car so thanks for giving me the heads up ... I think if i can get this car around $34k it would be an awesome deal. But let's see.

If i go for this one i will put $15k down and finance the rest for 2 years. How's BMW at credit approvals? I have a good credit with FICO of 752 and under 40% TDSR ... will i get approved for their "select" rates? Any experience on that side?

Update: wait a sec .. did you mention original vs lesser CPO warranty????? I was under the impression that CPO is as good as the new car warranty as it s bumper to bumper and all the maintenance is included for the time it's covered under CPO?? Please correct me if am wrong ... mannnn that would be a bummer if what you are saying is true.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #16
slenfe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the reply. I personally like saddle over the red as red, to me, can get a bit too bright inside for my eyes. I really wanna go for Alpine White exterior but there's not a single one on lot with all options. Black is good but i already have a black car at home and it can be a PITA to keep clean .. if you know what i mean.

I haven't really tried to negotiate the price yet as i haven't finalized my car so thanks for giving me the heads up ... I think if i can get this car around $34k it would be an awesome deal. But let's see.

If i go for this one i will put $15k down and finance the rest for 2 years. How's BMW at credit approvals? I have a good credit with FICO of 752 and under 40% TDSR ... will i get approved for their "select" rates? Any experience on that side?

Update: wait a sec .. did you mention original vs lesser CPO warranty????? I was under the impression that CPO is as good as the new car warranty as it s bumper to bumper and all the maintenance is included for the time it's covered under CPO?? Please correct me if am wrong ... mannnn that would be a bummer if what you are saying is true.

BMW and many luxury brands wanted to created a premium market for their out of lease cars, as cars were returning from lease resell value was lower as people were afraid of getting into repair costs, for that Certified series were created on the promise that you are getting a car which has been inspected with "high standards" which is a loose term. for instant if inspection is calling for 40% brake pads and dealer found they are at 41% it means break will not be changed as opposite if inspection found it at 35% you are getting new brake pads at the end all the cost to bring the car to BMW CPO standards will be reflected on the asking price more or less, even with all that car condition will be superior to what you will find at non-BMW dealers.

you should read more about this program for two reasons which are related to my initial history introduction

1- Part of the program value is competitive finance rate including the popular option "OwnersChoice"

http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/usedvehicles...al_offers.html

2- Extended Warranty "Which is not bumper to bumper" that been said its not a bad one either and can save you some repair bills "50$ deductible applies"

http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/usedvehicles.../benefits.html

one last comment I can leave you here with, treat a CPO car as used car and make sure you well inspect it, in my case I ended with a bent wheels and had to fight hard with BMW Canada to get them replaced, dealer took only a minor responsibility despite all evidence was showing issue at delivery.

I hope this helps and good luck car shopping as it's tons of fun before bringing you new ride home.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #17
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

go for the 2007, cause mine is.
And we have better stuff then the others.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

Pm sent.

QUOTE=sunny335i;11200849]hello folks,
A very good evening to everyone. Hi, my name is Sunny and I am currently an owner of a 2006 G35 coupe.
I am in the process of changing my ride and have been doing a lot of research and testing to decide between 335i and G37. Now both are really nice cars in their own ways but i am getting too attracted towards the 335i coupe cause of its refined looks. I will miss my VQ (had 350z before and always drove Japanese imports), but change is good at time i believe, isn't it?

Ok, so i am this close to pulling the trigger on a nice 335i coupe i have in mind, in fact i have 2 on the list. 1's an '07 6MT, grey on black, 64k, canadian, no accidents, sport/premium but NO NAV ... asking price $27,999. Other one is a black on black '08 6MT sport/premium/NAV and 64k but a CPO from a BMW dealership,... asking price $37,000 ... which one do you guys think is a better choice? CPO.. any worth? Like someone has said before, should i even bother touching a BMW out of warranty?

I am also reading a lot about the HPFP and fuel injector issues with these N54 engines ... now ... how bad is that? Is it, like most cases, blown out of the proportion on this sometimes irritating internet or is it actually there and NOT worth dealing with? I would like to know some honest opinion from all of you. Cause i am sure i am not the only one who's coming from Japanese imports over to German, and as the world knows (some people might disagree, but it's OK) Japanese are rock solid built cars and i have had absolutely no issues but all good luck with all my cars until now. Now, please note i am not dissing BMW's or any other makes for that fact as i have never owned one.

Your help here is much appreciated as i am going back and forth with my decision about moving over to BMW after looking at sooooooo many people having major engine problems on here, as well as youtube ....

Cheers !! [/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0