E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Do BMW dealers clean cars with Brillo Pads?

12-04-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Do BMW dealers clean cars with Brillo Pads?

Collected my car after dealer had it for three days to replace premature wear of the drivers seat leather. The leather wasn't replaced as BMW UK or DE do not have stock of the leather seat covers (why they don't order parts prior to booking in?) Any way forgot to state not to clean my car before being handed back. Collected last night as it was getting dark so unable to see any issues. This morning in the sun light it looks shite. Only 90% of the car has been cleaned as there are patches of dirt not touched. Clearly couldn't have been leathered after it was washed. Surface scratches and swirls all over the car which are so obvious in the sun. Called the dealer. He wants to see the car asap and if the service manager agrees it is not good they will valet the car when its next in. Having read threads before regarding shite car cleaning from dealers I should have known. The car now needs a full polish and retreating with wax to get back to standard.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Yes, not helped by the fact the paint is shite too.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

They do this every time. I hang a sign in my car when I take it in telling them not to touch it inside or out. Works!
      12-04-2008, 06:15 AM   #4
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Burn the b*stards!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
gadgetfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI Manual

Just out of interest, how old is your car? and whats the wear like?

Mine has 10k on the clock and there is a little wear on the driver side bolster - just thinking if its worth me putting in a warranty claim?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
Just out of interest, how old is your car? and whats the wear like?

Mine has 10k on the clock and there is a little wear on the driver side bolster - just thinking if its worth me putting in a warranty claim?
My car was delivered in August but has now done 13k miles. The front edge of the drivers side bolster is wearing away already. I rarely wear jeans so this cannot be the blame. Dealer has agreed to replace the upper seat leather cover under warranty. Requires seat removal and leather cover replacement. Two days work according to the dealer, subject to stock!! No Terra Leather in stock.

I believe its relatively common to go. More noticeable with a coloured leather rather than black. I bet they have black leather in stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
my seats on the edges is fooked and looks like it has done 100k its only done 35k,maybe worth a call
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Cleaned the car up properly this afternoon. Shame the sun disappeared too soon, but even in the reflection of street lights it is so obvious they have used a brush or a dirty shite sponge on the car (probably both). My wife thought I was over reacting but even she noticed it, in the dark!

Going to the dealer tomorrow and demanding they pay for a full machine polish and wax. They have offered a 'valet' if their manager agrees but I won't let their valeters anywhere near it again.

Anyone recommend a 'detailer' in the Bristol area?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
When I picked up my new Merc earlier this year it came complete with swirl marks. When I commented to the salesman that I had not specified this option, his reply was, "It's only a van mate."

Cost - £35k

The valeter had the cheek to say he used a new brush everytime he washed a vehicle.
      12-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post
Having read threads before regarding shite car cleaning from dealers I should have known. The car now needs a full polish and retreating with wax to get back to standard.
Golden rule Nr 1.

Never ever, ever let your dealer wash or valet the car after delivery. Trouble is guaranteed at some point.

Insist it gets done properly by a detailer of your choice.

Yves
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Sorry to hear about this. Bloody disgraceful!!

Hope you get it sorted ok.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

If I wanted swirl marks in the fantastic Carbon Black paint I wouldn't have bought

New Bucket to add to the old one
Meguires Gold Class Shampoo
Foam applicator
New lambswool mitt
New microfibre mitt
New microfibre drying towels x2
New microfibre polishing cloths x4

I wouldn't have done this on it's first day taking 6 hours

polished twice with AG Super Resin Polish
sealed twice with AG Gloss Protection
applied two coats of AG High Definition Wax

And I wouldn't have applied 2 further coats of HD Wax in the last two months or weekly washed with utmost care and attention to avoid unnecessary swirls or defects in the paint.

Now I think the cost of a detailer to machine polish and wax my car may be cheaper than paying for the lost product and compensating me for my lost time in re doing the above. (I am not cheap, nor is a good detailer)

Wish me luck (or rather wish the dealer luck when I kick off!)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #13
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
It would be interesting to know what, if any, training requirements BMW themselves have set out for valeters. Or should we just cynically believe they are non-existent and 'pay peanuts and get monkeys' basically.

If the latter is the case, surely it's worth BMW addressing this imbalance as they must know that their paintwork is soft, therefore it's in their best interests to ensure that only properly trained staff are used to valet the cars, or at least ensure their dealers and franchisers do so!

Good luck anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #14
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

I always tell the dealer not to wash it. This doesnt always work.

The time before last when it was in the dealer they washed it. When i went to collect it, i saw it had been cleaned despite telling them not to. I had a good luck around it and it was swirl free luckily.

Now I make an effort to tell them when bringing it in, making sure its written on the job sheet, I also ring later to double check they are not cleaning it.

No matter how good the car washer is, he will never respect your car like if it was his own.

The last time i collected my car the service guy commented on how immaculate it was saying he knew not to have it washed as he could tell how much care i took due to the cleanliness of all the door sills etc...

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
I always tell the dealer not to wash it. This doesnt always work.

The time before last when it was in the dealer they washed it. When i went to collect it, i saw it had been cleaned despite telling them not to. I had a good luck around it and it was swirl free luckily.

Now I make an effort to tell them when bringing it in, making sure its written on the job sheet, I also ring later to double check they are not cleaning it.

No matter how good the car washer is, he will never respect your car like if it was his own.

The last time i collected my car the service guy commented on how immaculate it was saying he knew not to have it washed as he could tell how much care i took due to the cleanliness of all the door sills etc...
I am as annoyed with myself as with the dealer. It went through my head several times to say 'do not wash' but it never entered my head whilst at the dealer.

I have enquired on the cost to rectify the paint with a local detailer. Looks like £200 - 300 worth of work over 1 to 2 days.

Once rectified I will make up a mirror hanger with DO NOT GO NEAR THIS CAR WITH YOUR FILTHY SPONGES AND BRUSHES. DEATH WILL BE INFLICTED
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #16
Holden_Caulfield04
Pro Detailer
Canada
Rep
Drives: e46 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
It would be interesting to know what, if any, training requirements BMW themselves have set out for valeters. Or should we just cynically believe they are non-existent and 'pay peanuts and get monkeys' basically.

If the latter is the case, surely it's worth BMW addressing this imbalance as they must know that their paintwork is soft, therefore it's in their best interests to ensure that only properly trained staff are used to valet the cars, or at least ensure their dealers and franchisers do so!

Good luck anyhow.
They don't care.

They'll only care if enough people demand better treatment.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #17
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Its Polish at my dealer, The staff in the showroom joke about it too!
      12-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #18
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
I dont think they use any polish at my dealer. just soap and water. !

But seriously, whats the deal with eastern europeans and car washing? It seems every supermarket carpark in the country has them.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 03:33 AM   #19
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
The dealership a mate of mine works in also has some polish valeters.

After being there a couple of weeks they noticed him pushing a car around the yard to the valet bay. Turns out he could not even drive and had been pushing the cars around since he started!!!

Unbelievable!!

The mechanics used to drop the cars at the valet bay and he only had to push 'em a short distance to 'park' them after cleaning so no-one noticed!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #20
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

I believe I have found the source of my swirl marks. Courtesy of the two brushes in the bucket. The idiots are 'brushing' cars down in the cleaning process. May as well throw some extra grit into the buckets as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #21
Holden_Caulfield04
Pro Detailer
Canada
Rep
Drives: e46 BMW

Here's a site for you UKers.

www.detailingworld.com

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #22
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post
I believe I have found the source of my swirl marks. Courtesy of the two brushes in the bucket. The idiots are 'brushing' cars down in the cleaning process. May as well throw some extra grit into the buckets as well.

Oops, caught red handed!