E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > New Engine Price 335d

09-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

New Engine Price 335d

hey guys, I had a little mishap few weeks ago, after doing the oil change by the dealer and driving little over 1000 km I had sadden oil pressure loss, driving on the two lane highway with no shoulder line could not just pull over just anywhere but shortly I found a place and stopped. Other dealer after some investigation found that the drain plug was not installed correctly and that caused the oil loss. Now they say the engine is a garbage and awaiting for a new engine from Germany. I am just wondering if anyone knows how much is the new 335d for 2009 model. I did ask a dealer but as most of you know all of them just over exaggerate. I am not paying for that fix but would like to know what is the price of new engine.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

check realoem. IIRC a long block is listed at like $12k. After they get done, go back to the dealer that did the oil change and thank them for the refresh on your engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

http://car-part.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
check realoem. IIRC a long block is listed at like $12k. After they get done, go back to the dealer that did the oil change and thank them for the refresh on your engine.
thx man, yes, I am happy for the new motor that is for sure, but I was very pissed when it happen as I was approx. 500 km away from home (around 300 miles). I just hope that they will install it properly, after all what guarantee do I have if they screw up a simple oil change
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

wow... wtf
which dealer is this?
some tech is definitely getting slapped over this one

I had a similar story but the outcome was not so bad.
went to the dealer for a final check and maintenance before warranty expired.
They changed the oil among other things and the next time i wanted to change the oil I start undoing the drain plug only to strip it. It took me literally 5 hours to extract it, 5 mins to tap new threads in the pan and replace the drain plug.

These oil change techs are not the brightest.

Glad they are fixing your engine on their dollar
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David0ff View Post
wow... wtf
which dealer is this?
some tech is definitely getting slapped over this one

I had a similar story but the outcome was not so bad.
went to the dealer for a final check and maintenance before warranty expired.
They changed the oil among other things and the next time i wanted to change the oil I start undoing the drain plug only to strip it. It took me literally 5 hours to extract it, 5 mins to tap new threads in the pan and replace the drain plug.

These oil change techs are not the brightest.

Glad they are fixing your engine on their dollar
yes, you are right, those oil change techs are not the brightest ones, but when you think about it, it does not require any knowledge to replace the oil lol so how stupid one has to be ??? LOL For sure he is getting a slap on the hand or even more. I am happy that they are correcting the mistake with the new engine. I do however am puzzled a little, I drove the car for over 1500 km after the oil change, not a single drop of the oil on the garage floor and all of the sudden the plug just comes out?? How is that possible? the dealer inspecting the car after it was towed took some pictures and said they found the plug on the sub floor of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

This is the reason I do my own oil changes, whenever possible. Early in my sports car life, I had similar experiences with extremely tight drain plugs by Porsche dealers of all things.

I have a friend who is a busy professional and car enthusiast who does his own oil changes. Such a simple job given to the least experienced at the shop with such grave consequences.

My theory that some dealers don't use LL04 in our engines causing all sorts of problems is still alive. Knowing how many mechanics in the past have told me there is no difference in oil and to change it every 3,000 miles gave me great pause. It wouldn't surprise me that an operation like a dealer goes cheap on oil and gets "whatever" by the barrel. The culture is different here than in Germany where mechanics get more respect.

PL
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
This is the reason I do my own oil changes, whenever possible. Early in my sports car life, I had similar experiences with extremely tight drain plugs by Porsche dealers of all things.

I have a friend who is a busy professional and car enthusiast who does his own oil changes. Such a simple job given to the least experienced at the shop with such grave consequences.

My theory that some dealers don't use LL04 in our engines causing all sorts of problems is still alive. Knowing how many mechanics in the past have told me there is no difference in oil and to change it every 3,000 miles gave me great pause. It wouldn't surprise me that an operation like a dealer goes cheap on oil and gets "whatever" by the barrel. The culture is different here than in Germany where mechanics get more respect.

PL
I have learned my lesson, from now on I will do my own oil change, after all it is very simple job and hell do they charge a lot for it. You are also correct when it comes to the approach of some mechanics, they simple do not care as that is not their car
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
I have learned my lesson, from now on I will do my own oil change, after all it is very simple job and hell do they charge a lot for it. You are also correct when it comes to the approach of some mechanics, they simple do not care as that is not their car
I change the oil on my other German cars through the dipstick tube, and as is often the case, the filter is on top too. Its simple with my manual oil extractor ($70 at the local marine supplier - avoid the electric ones, they are cheap and break early and often).

Best wishes with your new engine!

PL
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
I change the oil on my other German cars through the dipstick tube, and as is often the case, the filter is on top too. Its simple with my manual oil extractor ($70 at the local marine supplier - avoid the electric ones, they are cheap and break early and often).

Best wishes with your new engine!

PL
Yep, we still have the 'luxury' of having a dipstick. Changing the oil with a topsider couldn't be easier. I have found most of the ones do not have the needed full 8 quarts of capacity. Got a air driven one (makes vacuum using a venturi) with a capacity of over 6 gallons from Harbor Freight Tools. I use it on all my cars then once a year when full take it to Autozone and dump into their recycling tank. I did have to make my own suction tube as the included ones were not long enough.

Best wishes as well with your new CBU free engine!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #11
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
Yep, we still have the 'luxury' of having a dipstick. Changing the oil with a topsider couldn't be easier. I have found most of the ones do not have the needed full 8 quarts of capacity. Got a air driven one (makes vacuum using a venturi) with a capacity of over 6 gallons from Harbor Freight Tools. I use it on all my cars then once a year when full take it to Autozone and dump into their recycling tank. I did have to make my own suction tube as the included ones were not long enough.

Best wishes as well with your new CBU free engine!
the old engine was CBU free already as they did perform CBU cleaning with the BMW tool which was covered by them as well, but yes, now new engine should be more fun to have One thing I am just worry is that they can screw up the installation or break something that I can't see from the engine bay. But I am trying to be optimistic Already delayed, the original date of getting my car is already delayed by a week LOL
Appreciate 0