E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > VRSF DP Leak @ Exhaust Connection

01-15-2016, 08:16 PM   #1
AX75F92
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Just installed my VRSF DP on my N55 E90. Started the car up while still on jack stands to check for leaks. Sure enough I found a big leak where the DP mates to the exhaust.

Everything is torqued down but I can actually see visually a small gap on one side between the DP and exhaust. I did notice during installation that the fitment wasn't perfect, but I recall reading reviews that the VRSF DP is a bit short and just go ahead and tighten it up and it'll be fine. I'm pretty sure the vband is seated correctly.

At this point I'm going to have to loosen everything up, maybe clock the DP at a slightly different angle, retighten everything and hope it mates up flush with the exhaust. If not, my only idea is to reuse one of the stock gaskets on that side (along with the VRSF metal gasket). Maybe the double gasket will fill the gap. Pretty lame tho.

Anyone else run into this? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 02:05 AM   #2
AX75F92
Private
Rep

Ok. After loosening everything to hand tight, adjusting/shifting/etc, reinstalling the factory gaskets, and gradually retightening little by little in crisscross pattern...still leaking at the same spot.

I am now convinced this DP is just poorly made. The flange may be slightly off (due to uneven heat shrinkage from welding) or not perfectly flat.

The leak is small but it's def there. I can feel it with my hand, but it is not large enough to hear it. I'd bet a lot of people with this DP have the same leak but are not aware because they either didn't check, or they had a shop install the DP.

I'm very disappointed from wasting my time with this. Going to call VRSF tomorrow and see if they have a solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 02:17 AM   #3
junniior95
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX75F92
Ok. After loosening everything to hand tight, adjusting/shifting/etc, reinstalling the factory gaskets, and gradually retightening little by little in crisscross pattern...still leaking at the same spot.

I am now convinced this DP is just poorly made. The flange may be slightly off (due to uneven heat shrinkage from welding) or not perfectly flat.

The leak is small but it's def there. I can feel it with my hand, but it is not large enough to hear it. I'd bet a lot of people with this DP have the same leak but are not aware because they either didn't check, or they had a shop install the DP.

I'm very disappointed from wasting my time with this. Going to call VRSF tomorrow and see if they have a solution.
It's unfortunate but they do have factory defect warranties...I bought my VRSF DP used for my N55 and I'm happy I bought it used. Reason being is because I could actually see burnt exhaust fumes leaking at the same spot that you had from the previous owner.
I then put a ruler and I could tell that the surface that sits on the exhaust intermediate pipe was not level, I sent it out to a local machine shop and he was able to resurface & level it so that everything would sit flush with the gasket between the DP & the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #4
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

I'll have to pull mine up on ramps and check for leaks.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:08 AM   #5
AX75F92
Private
Rep

Update:

I contacted Jeff @ Top Gear Solutions today (purchased the DP from him). He relayed my concerns to VRSF. Their response was pretty much..."well, we have sold hundreds of these things and have only received a couple back due to fitment defects. Send it in and we can inspect it.".

Now I'm left with the decision of sending it in and having my car down for couple weeks (cus f*ck putting the stock DP back in at this point), or figuring it out myself. I'm fairly certain the flange is not perfectly flat.

These next couple weeks will be really inconvenient to have the car down so I decided to just live with it for now and send it back to VRSF later.

I went out to button everything back up and get the car road worthy again and decided to test it one more time while it was on the stands. This time I let it get hot. After letting it idle for about 5min I checked the same spot for the leak and couldn't feel anything. So I guess it's small enough to seal under thermal expansion. This is good (because it's technically not leaking) and bad (because it does leak...when cold).

I'm still not sure exactly what I want to do. It would be really irritating to go through the hassle of sending it to VRSF only to be told "we looked at it and found no defect".

Guess the moral here is sometimes 'you get what you pay for' and saving a few bucks can end up making you pay with headaches. I'd spend the extra money for a higher production quality piece if I could do it again.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX75F92 View Post
Update:

I contacted Jeff @ Top Gear Solutions today (purchased the DP from him). He relayed my concerns to VRSF. Their response was pretty much..."well, we have sold hundreds of these things and have only received a couple back due to fitment defects. Send it in and we can inspect it.".

Now I'm left with the decision of sending it in and having my car down for couple weeks (cus f*ck putting the stock DP back in at this point), or figuring it out myself. I'm fairly certain the flange is not perfectly flat.

These next couple weeks will be really inconvenient to have the car down so I decided to just live with it for now and send it back to VRSF later.

I went out to button everything back up and get the car road worthy again and decided to test it one more time while it was on the stands. This time I let it get hot. After letting it idle for about 5min I checked the same spot for the leak and couldn't feel anything. So I guess it's small enough to seal under thermal expansion. This is good (because it's technically not leaking) and bad (because it does leak...when cold).

I'm still not sure exactly what I want to do. It would be really irritating to go through the hassle of sending it to VRSF only to be told "we looked at it and found no defect".

Guess the moral here is sometimes 'you get what you pay for' and saving a few bucks can end up making you pay with headaches. I'd spend the extra money for a higher production quality piece if I could do it again.
VRSF has no intention of playing games. If it's truly defective they have a no hassle warranty.

I know customers hate when vendors or manufacturers say we've sold 100's without a problem. That being said, I'm a realistic and I know there is also that 1% or less out there that could be truly defective. Only reason we say that is because if it was an epidemic problem, we wouldn't sell it and would either have the problem rectified or product removed. I've removed several manufacturers off my site for problematic products. If it continues, we'll remove it, plain and simple. That being said, I believe you and believe you are eligible for a replacement.

Trust me, I've been modding and playing with cars for over 15 years. Lost thousands and thousands in the mod game. Sleepless Nights. Bloody Knuckles. Car left on the side of the road. You name it.

I'd say you have 2 choices, try to true the surface or send it back. By no accident, if you play with it or modify it, VRSF won't want to touch it for obvious reasons. We don't need any bad blood over a simple exchange and they have no intention of playing games by saying "it's fine", they don't function like that.

I apologize on behalf of VRSF and myself for any inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 09:46 PM   #7
junniior95
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX75F92
Update:

If you don't want to be without a car for a couple weeks fork up a few extra bucks and send it to a machine shop, that's what I did and I've had no problems
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 10:56 PM   #8
AX75F92
Private
Rep

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I want to say for the record, Jeff and TGS have been great to deal with. Jeff is very attentive to his customers needs/concerns and seems like a stand up guy. As far as I'm concerned, TGS is my go to vender for aftermarket BMW parts.

I've been driving the car around quite a bit the last couple days. I'm going to recheck the leak sometime this week when cold...maybe things have seated now. I too have been involved in motorsports and the aftermarket tuning industry for close to 15 years. It seems unlikely to me that I could install, remove, and install again only to find a leak in the exact same location. I have some pics I'll upload to better illustrate the fitment issue.

I'm in no way looking to cause any bad blood with VRSF. I'm just being honest and posting my issues with the product. I can def take the DP to my buddies shop and have him true the flange, but to me that's pretty lame to have to do that. I have a VRSF 7" IC I purchased from Jeff waiting to be installed. Given these DP troubles, I am a little concerned about the IC install.

One thing I think they def can improve on is documentation. There is none. I've noticed their products don't come with any info. It's up to the installer to search online for write ups. I understand these products are somewhat straight forward, but a small printout with install tips would serve well to help installers save time working out the details (looking at the hardware package for the IC I instantly noticed these long screws with rubber stoppers and thought...wonder where these go). A simple, half page parts inventory sheet would be great to help people determine if they're missing any parts. I worked for one of the largest Japanese manufacturers of aftermarket performance/racing parts and basic product information/installation guides were standard with almost every part we sold. I think little things like that separate shops like VRSF from bigger tuning shops like Cobb.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #9
canadarob
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-sport, Nissan 350z

Why not send Tiago@VRSF some pictures? I am sure after seeing the issue he will send you a new Downpipe beforehand.... For a 0 downtime solution.

I bought a downpipe from them and didnt notice until after install that one of the inside edges of the flange was not welded. I sent VRSF a few pictures of the leaks and asked for a solution with no downtime. They had a new downpipe waiting for me in three days.

QA mistakes can happen in manufacturing but VRSF standards are not a leaky product.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
wwc310
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 LCI 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadarob View Post
Why not send Tiago@VRSF some pictures? I am sure after seeing the issue he will send you a new Downpipe beforehand.... For a 0 downtime solution.

I bought a downpipe from them and didnt notice until after install that one of the inside edges of the flange was not welded. I sent VRSF a few pictures of the leaks and asked for a solution with no downtime. They had a new downpipe waiting for me in three days.

QA mistakes can happen in manufacturing but VRSF standards are not a leaky product.
+1 on that. He sent me brand new charge pipe to install and test against the old one. I sent him the old one back the next day and everything has been groovy since. VRSF takes care of their customers.

JB4 Stage 2, VRSF chargepipe, VRSF downpipe, Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s
Appreciate 0