E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB3 at Laguna Seca

07-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #23
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
If you kiss the wall, will the insurance pay or are you SOL? That sober a lot of trackie wannabes IMO. I am curious if you have to sign all your rights away.
It depends on a couple of things.
1. Your insurance company/policy.
2. The "group" you are on the track with.

Edit: You can also buy track specific insurance for the days you are going to be on track.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #24
kptaylor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Quote:
If you kiss the wall, will the insurance pay or are you SOL? That sober a lot of trackie wannabes IMO. I am curious if you have to sign all your rights away.
Questionable. Most insurance companies used to exclude for "timed events", so HPDE events might not have been grounds to deny the claim. Nowadays many insurance companies are excluding all track events, timed or not. Guaranteed if you call up your agent that it may raise a red flag, so better to read the policy and see what it says.

I personally can't wad my car up and walk away, so I bought an E30 track car. That I can walk away from if I ever put it into the wall.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #25
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Back in the day (10 years ago), most insurance companies would cover a loss just as long as it was a driving education event. Which usually meant them calling the organizer of the event to confirm that there were instructors present and that there was no lap timing. This may have changed in the past years. Best to talk to your insurance company.

Back in '97, I kissed a wall at Turn 9 at Laguna, in my insured street car (FD3S RX-7). Most cosmetic but the total repair bill was substantial. My insurance covered it without question.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #26
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

DSC/DTC off right? Possible to track with those on?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:53 PM   #27
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
DSC/DTC off right? Possible to track with those on?
You would be the only one pressing the button.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #28
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Cool video. I was just there in my 1 about a month ago. I almost lost it on turn 4 too, but I think my LSD helped me keep it in line.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #29
XLR8MF
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan 2008

Thanks for sharing the video. looks like you had fun. Your hands were moving pretty fast on the steering wheel, I thought you had it pulled out until it snapped back the second time. Mr 5, is the exhaust on the Lambo as nice as they say it is? I have heard it online but not in real life.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #30
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8MF View Post
Thanks for sharing the video. looks like you had fun. Your hands were moving pretty fast on the steering wheel, I thought you had it pulled out until it snapped back the second time. Mr 5, is the exhaust on the Lambo as nice as they say it is? I have heard it online but not in real life.
It is a sweet sounding v-10, both stock and aftermarket. Last friday I was driving through Danville, and a Yellow Gallardo came out of a gated community. I slowed so he could get by and I could listen, he was running catless, my wife said it smelled like hell, but it did sound good. The driver was kind of a douche, lots of unnecessary reving and it sounded like he missed a gear at one point....but it sounded good.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #31
stillclaimndp
Dancing Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 ZSP

Ha cool videos man, that brings back memories of playing Gran Turismo tournaments with my roommates in 2001 on my 65" mitsubishi projection tv... Evo vs STI all day.
2007 e90 & 1981 Corvette Predecessors: 2007 BMW 335i E92, 2006 M5, 2008 Viper SRT10 Coupe, 2005 Viper Yellow, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2006 S4, 2001.5 Nogaro Blue S4, 2006 GTI w/ DSG, 06 Evo IX, 04 S4, 04 911x51, 03 Evo VIII, 98 Eclipse GSX, 96 GST, 92 Galant Vr-4, '70 Grand Prix Model J, '70 Nova, '68 Firebird
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 01:21 AM   #32
jun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

general rule: if you can't afford to write it off.. don't race it!

in most instances insurance will not cover it. read your policy carefully. there have been some track day insurers popping up here and there. I remember there is one company, but they do not allow your track car to be your street car. in addition, the car must be garaged when not raced and transported to and from the track on a trailer. there was some other BS too.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #33
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun View Post
general rule: if you can't afford to write it off.. don't race it!

in most instances insurance will not cover it. read your policy carefully. there have been some track day insurers popping up here and there. I remember there is one company, but they do not allow your track car to be your street car. in addition, the car must be garaged when not raced and transported to and from the track on a trailer. there was some other BS too.
Track time doesn't always mean "racing". I track and I can't afford to write it off....I'm more afraid of someone hitting me rather than hitting a wall. No one should be driving 10/10ths in a street car anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #34
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula0 View Post
Two tips for you:

1) This is personal preference, but you may be able to pick up a bit of time by doing a double apex (for lack of a better term) into turn 2. Halfway between turns 1 and 2, start moving to the left of the track and start braking at the same time. You will be braking in a straight line but on the track you will be moving from right to left.

2) In general, I noticed that one thing you're doing on a couple of the corners is you're cutting off where the car tracks out after a corner. Don't be afraid of using up the whole track. Let the car go where it wants to go before you gently reign it back in to set up for the next corner.

I noticed this after the corkscrew...you can let the car track out a little bit more to the left before you head back to the right to set up for turn 9.

Same with the exit out of turn 9. You seem to be pinching off and keeping your steering wheel turned to the left after you exit turn 9. Don't be afraid to track out further to the right after turn 9 exit as you may be able to pick up a few mph by not cutting off your turns.

Anyways, good work. I think you did very well.

P.S. Don't worry about the spin. Everyone does it
Quote:
Originally Posted by jun View Post
Nice vids! Just from initially watching the video it looks like you may have jumped off the throttle resulting in a snap oversteer. Been there myself a few times. Remember to use the accelerator and steering input together to bring the car back in line.

Be more aggressive!

I'm kind of shocked your club doesn't require you to have an instructor at all times (unless you are advanced/instructor level).
Thanks for the tips guys.
Yah, Speedventures doesn't require it for every session but it is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidio335xi View Post
kinda felt like i had my playstation controller in my hands play GT4.

How much does that cost for a day?

Also, on that slide the biggest thing to preventing the spin out is not letting up on the throttle. It is hard not to take you foot off but it transfers weight to the front of the car.

Overall AWESOME =)
I paid 360 for the day, which included the instruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post

Were you running R-comps?
I was on Hankook evo12 street tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW335 View Post
As a guy who sucks on the track too, one thing I can tell you is that these piggys etc. are no favor on the track to us. Its way to much power. Brakes, suspension etc. all good for beginners (and a good instructor sitting there) but extra HP is not your friend until you are really good.
I don't know if I agree with this. I agree that tunes don't help on an autoX, but I felt that the tune helped at Laguna Seca.
I passed a lot of Porsches, Audi S4s, Audi TT, and a C5 Z06.
The tune on the straight away is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
Cool video. I was just there in my 1 about a month ago. I almost lost it on turn 4 too, but I think my LSD helped me keep it in line.
I wish I had my LSD before, because I agree with you. I think it would have helped meout a bit more during my slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8MF View Post
The exhaust was unbelieveable! Listening to it for 25 minutes was pure music!!

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #35
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

How much damage did the gravel do?
2007 E92 335i / 6MT / Monaco Blue Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Comfort Assist / Premium / Sport / Heated Seats / Navi / Active Steering / Active Cruise Control / Park Distance Control / Rear Sunshade / Sirius MODS PicoTray / M3 Steering Wheel / Front OEM Aero Lip / Bimmian Aluminum Pedals / CDV / Ram Air Scoops / Painted Reflectors / HID 5000k / LED Angels / M Perf. Shifter / Euro Light Switch / 8500 x50 / Center Armrest Pouch / JB4 / BT
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #36
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS View Post
How much damage did the gravel do?
Actually nothing to the paint.
I haven't lifted the car yet to check out the underneath but everything feels great.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #37
Lowcruzr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335, '99 Civic Si, BUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula0 View Post
Nice work!
2) In general, I noticed that one thing you're doing on a couple of the corners is you're cutting off where the car tracks out after a corner. Don't be afraid of using up the whole track. Let the car go where it wants to go before you gently reign it back in to set up for the next corner.

P.S. Don't worry about the spin. Everyone does it
+100000

You paid for every inch of the track, USE IT!! Track out all the way. Don't turn in too early. The basics.

Additionally, if you could have had an instructor in there, DO IT!! They are (for the most part) instructors for a reason.

I'm no Andretti, but it sounds like your getting on the gas pretty late. That tells me you're going in too hard, the tire squeal on entry confirms that. Try braking more before turn-in and accelerate through them. Remember, slow in, fast out. Your spin was more than likely the result of dancing on the gas pedal. You went too hot in and thus you couldn't accel the entire way out. A mid-corner lift will spin ya more often than not.

BTW, the red vette(?) in front of you going into 1-2 seemed to have the line I see guys use on TV @ LS. He late apexed it and checked out. BYE-BYE!

Way too keep her off the wall in the end!

Mods |Painted Kidneys|Black Lower Mesh Grills|Rho-plate|7500 GP Fogs|JB3 2.0|LED Tag Lights|Rear Fogs|And maybe some day an M3 Rear Spoiler|
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #38
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcruzr View Post
+100000

You paid for every inch of the track, USE IT!! Track out all the way. Don't turn in too early. The basics.

Additionally, if you could have had an instructor in there, DO IT!! They are (for the most part) instructors for a reason.

I'm no Andretti, but it sounds like your getting on the gas pretty late. That tells me you're going in too hard, the tire squeal on entry confirms that. Try braking more before turn-in and accelerate through them. Remember, slow in, fast out. Your spin was more than likely the result of dancing on the gas pedal. You went too hot in and thus you couldn't accel the entire way out. A mid-corner lift will spin ya more often than not.

BTW, the red vette(?) in front of you going into 1-2 seemed to have the line I see guys use on TV @ LS. He late apexed it and checked out. BYE-BYE!

Way too keep her off the wall in the end!
You pretty much hit the nail on the head.
It was a learning experience no matter what.
I really appreciate the constructive criticism!

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #39
jun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

360 for a day? dang.. it's like $400 a weekend here with NASA.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #40
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

I've done tons and tons of driving at Laguna*... you're lap wasn't too bad at all for your first time! Nice job 5!

* in gran turismo
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #41
Lowcruzr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335, '99 Civic Si, BUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
You pretty much hit the nail on the head.
It was a learning experience no matter what.
I really appreciate the constructive criticism!
My older brother is one of six Master instructors for the Mid-West PCA division. So I've been on track once or twice.

Constructive criticism is the only way to learn. Well, that or hitting the wall.

Mods |Painted Kidneys|Black Lower Mesh Grills|Rho-plate|7500 GP Fogs|JB3 2.0|LED Tag Lights|Rear Fogs|And maybe some day an M3 Rear Spoiler|
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #42
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Sorry if I missed it (I did read the whole thread). Did you press the DSC button once or hold it, or did you leave it as is? I've heard mixed things from people at the track regarding whether to leave it alone, press it once, or dissable the whole jobby. Surprisingly (to me at least, who hasn't been on the track myself) the most common answer was leaving it alone, and if you are activating it, you are not driving smoothly and hence will be slower as a result. Personally, I would imagine the single press might allow some slippage ( A: good for learning, and B: I'd think a little scrubbing of tires could be the fastest method on some areas), but I could be way off.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #43
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Very nice man.. Good to see you going to more track days...
Hopefully I'll see you at the next one.. Satakal and I should be going to a couple of BMWCCA events in the next couple of months.. (definately Buttonwillow in Sep)

The Lambo is beautiful, ugly rims though.. Very flat, not concave enough
I am sure it was awesome to ride in that thing... How good was the driver?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #44
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 E36 325is; 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Back in the day (10 years ago), most insurance companies would cover a loss just as long as it was a driving education event. Which usually meant them calling the organizer of the event to confirm that there were instructors present and that there was no lap timing. This may have changed in the past years. Best to talk to your insurance company.

Back in '97, I kissed a wall at Turn 9 at Laguna, in my insured street car (FD3S RX-7). Most cosmetic but the total repair bill was substantial. My insurance covered it without question.

Shiv
There are companies that offer supplemental insurance for track events for those that don't want to take a chance. From what I recall, you can specify a certain percentage of the value you want to insure plus a pretty large deductible.

2007 Jet Black 335i Coupe: Saddle Brown interior | ZSP | ZCP | ZPP | iPod integration.
1994 Hellrot 325is: Sport Package | PSS9 Coilover | AutoThority chip | AutoThority CF Intake | UUC pullies | Dinan HiFlo Throttle Body | UUC StrutBarbarian | UUC Evo II SSK | BMW Motorsports X Brace | Rogue Engineering DMS exhaust | Kumho Ecsta V700 R Comps |
Appreciate 0