E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Is there a proven way to improve the xdrive suspension without getting springs?

06-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
bman5150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport (sold)

Is there a proven way to improve the xdrive suspension without getting springs?

I've had my car since January, and now realize what everyone talks about when they diss the stock xdrive suspension. It's not that it can't handle decently; its just that its not nearly as stable or confidence inspiring as the rwd 3 series cars with the sports suspension that I've driven. For example, it seems like the car's rear gets unsettled very easily mid turn when you hit a bump. It's very bouncy and honestly it feels like the steering angle changes pretty substantially when the rear bounces like that mid turn! It's different than the bump steer and snap oversteer I experienced driving rwd mustangs...bouncy and slightly out of control....not good.

Anyway, I don't want to install springs or a coil over kit on this car. That being said, are there other ways to make noticeable improvements to the stock suspension-particularly addressing what I described above? Im looking for some low hanging fruit he...Would really appreciate some input.
      06-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe, 17 nx200t, 23

I probably would start off by ditching the run flat tires. I did and it made the stock suspension more tolerable. Having said that, I am now in the market for coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
bman5150
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeGuy View Post
I probably would start off by ditching the run flat tires. I did and it made the stock suspension more tolerable. Having said that, I am now in the market for coilovers.
That's another thing I probably won't do for a variety of reasons, although I don't like the entire RF concept and hope BMW ditches the RF technology sooner than later.

I also don't think that wold address the characteristics that are bothering me about the stock suspension.
      06-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
bman5150
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just read the review on the bilstein HD struts and shocks. Sounds like this is one ingredient that might help reduce that floatiness at speeds and in turns. An added bonus might also be reduced ride harshness.

What else should I replace when I go to replace my struts and shocks? Upper strut/shock mounts and that's it?
      06-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
Well I can speak from personal experience that the sloppy feeling over bumps is most definitely the rear sub-frame bushings. First I had Bilstein and H&R and it was way to stiff and the rear was too tucked. Then I got some Eibachs to match with the bilsteins. Much better drop and much better comfort. Handling was a little softer but still good but the sloppy "disconnected" feeling was getting to me. I had always pondered replacing the rear sub-frame bushings but the cost of the M bushings and rear sway cost a ton when you factor in the install cost. The install was a royal PITA. Everything in the rear must come down and getting the old bushings out and the new bushings in with no proper tool is not an easy task. I have had the bushings and sway in for 3 days and it is exactly the solution to the the problem. Now it feels like the shocks and springs take the hit and not the whole car. It is much more planted and connected to the road.
Appreciate 0