E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > F$&$#^& RFT...Good Bye BMW

09-07-2009, 12:40 AM   #23
.dee
Private
Rep
Drives: M3, GT3 RS, Bentayga, 600LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Sits on the existing floor of the boot. There is then another cover they supply that goes over it like a false floor. I did not initially get the cover as I was one of the 1st the dealer had sold to and they had no idea how it went together.
interesting, might have to venture past the dealership. what is it worth?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #24
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

The spare tyre kit is nothing special, but it does provide a flat load space on top of the spare wheel for a price.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 01:23 AM   #25
.dee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
The spare tyre kit is nothing special, but it does provide a flat load space on top of the spare wheel for a price.
thanks, i'll have a look out of interest, although i suspect that it will barely fit with the roof down...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 01:41 AM   #26
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .dee View Post
thanks, i'll have a look out of interest, although i suspect that it will barely fit with the roof down...
hmm.. I am not really sure if they make the version for E92/E93.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 02:04 AM   #27
mark325
Europhile
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325i Manual

Another win for the sedans haha :P

'06 E90 325i 6MT | Full M3 Kit | H&R Euro Race | VMR V710 | Colour Kidneys

AusBMW :: My Tutorials
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 04:26 AM   #28
systech
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i (sold) 997.2 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark325 View Post
LOL, I will be soon swapping them out for Non Run flats purely for some better traction as they are too bloody hard.

That and my new wheels are bigger than my current ones.
I think I read somewhere that the standard wheels will not host normal tyres (different lip or something?) and you need to replace the mags as well...is that true?

If so, it's makes the exercise of replacing RFTs pretty expensive. I have the standard E92 335i 18" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #29
eff1dude
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY17 M3 Competition S/S

Man, that has to be the most punctures (run flat or not) I have EVER heard of in 3 years. You need to go & buy a lottery ticket coz your luck has got to turn soon. You know the whole Chinese Yin & Yang thing - well I must be your yin (or yang - whatever) coz I have had 2 punctures in total in 30 years of driving - city, country - you name it (madly searches for some wood to touch ;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #30
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep

The BMW rims have a slightly different lip profile from most rims for conventional tyres. They have EH2 profile specifically designed for run-flats. Many people have changed to conventional tyres using the OEM wheels, so I wouldn't be too worry about that aspect.

I have read on the forums where someone claimed the EH2 rims cause the air to leak due to some problem with the beading of the tyre, but it seems like that is an isolated case. My local tyre shop told me there is no problem to use conventional tyres on BMW wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 01:27 AM   #31
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff1dude View Post
Man, that has to be the most punctures (run flat or not) I have EVER heard of in 3 years. You need to go & buy a lottery ticket coz your luck has got to turn soon. You know the whole Chinese Yin & Yang thing - well I must be your yin (or yang - whatever) coz I have had 2 punctures in total in 30 years of driving - city, country - you name it (madly searches for some wood to touch ;-)
LOL...Right up until the RFT on this 335i, I had one puncture in probably the last 15 - 20 years.
I'll go find the ying or the yang!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 02:12 AM   #32
R1200RT
R1200RT
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d (E90)

Garage List
2009 R1200RT  [0.00]
2009 E90  [0.00]
That's a lot of punctures. Don't think I had that many in the 38 years I have my license.

I exchanged my 17" runflats with new wintertyres for € 100,- including rebalancing and bought a new non-runflat 18" set and a Slime compressor set.
I can have all te normal repairs I want now.

I presume that's cheaper than trading in your very nice car.
      09-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #33
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I have had two direct follow ups via my work e-mail from the sales manager Trivett BMW and tyre manager at Trivett Tyres. (Not the HO guys...they would not care)
And received the following information...I can not fault the efforts of Trivett at Parramatta nor Trivett Tyres in trying to understand the issue, and they have asked I keep them informed of any future issues.
The attached from Trivett Tyres I thought may interest some of you.

“Whilst I can empathise with XXXXXX comments our hands are tied in regards to the repairing of RunFlat tyres, the cost of the tyres and the ride that the RunFlat gives, Trivett Tyres will always renew the tyres as per factory specifications unless other wise requested, we will carry out repairs as per the guidelines set out by the tyre manufacturers, the guidelines that we are currently are following are as follows:-
Bridgestone RunFlat Tyres – if the tyre is marked with “Do Not Repair” we will not repair it under any circumstances , if the tyre is not marked “Do Not Repair “ we will carry out a puncture repair following normal puncture repair guidelines ( no sidewall damage , no excessive sidewall cracking etc)
Pirelli RunFlat Tyres (Eufori@ & PZERO RunFlat) can not be repaired under any circumstances
Continental RunFlat or SSR Tyres - can not be repaired under any circumstances
Goodyear RunFlat Tyres (EMT or ROF) – these tyres can be repaired following normal puncture repair guidelines
Dunlop RunFlat Tyres (DSST or ROF) – these tyres can be repaired following normal puncture repair guidelines
Michelin RunFlat Tyres (ZP or Zero Pressure) – if the tyre is marked with “Do Not Repair” we will not repair it under any circumstances , if the tyre is not marked “Do Not Repair “ we will carry out a puncture repair following normal puncture repair guidelines ( no sidewall damage , no excessive sidewall cracking etc)
I have carried out some research into the 19” tyres for the 335i , the only tyres that are available for this car in 225/35/19 & 255/30/19 in a RunFlat are either the Bridgestone RE050A RFT or Pirelli Eufori@ , unfortunately the Pirelli tyre can not be repaired and at this time we have yet to see a Bridgestone RFT in the sizes above that does not have “Do Not Repair” marked on the tyre, we have asked Bridgestone Australia if they can confirm when we will receive Bridgestone tyres that can be repaired in the future in all sizes , at this point they do not have that information available.
In Regards to fitting Non RunFlat tyres to the 335i, my understanding is that this is not advised by BMW, the other issue is that I am not aware of a premium tyre manufacturer that makes the sizes that the 335i with 19” wheels uses in the same tread pattern front and rear, to fit Non RunFlat tyres would mean changing up or down a size on either or both front and rear to achieve a matching tread pattern front and rear. Also the other issue is that the 335i has no spare tyre or means of mobility of you did fit normal tyres on the vehicle.”
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #34
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac View Post
In Regards to fitting Non RunFlat tyres to the 335i, my understanding is that this is not advised by BMW, the other issue is that I am not aware of a premium tyre manufacturer that makes the sizes that the 335i with 19” wheels uses in the same tread pattern front and rear, to fit Non RunFlat tyres would mean changing up or down a size on either or both front and rear to achieve a matching tread pattern front and rear. Also the other issue is that the 335i has no spare tyre or means of mobility of you did fit normal tyres on the vehicle.”[/I]
If those are your sizes then like me you are limited to these ones in the correct sizes (non-RFT);

Dunlop Sport Maxx -> useless with very soft side walls. I had 1 sidewall puncture and 1 sidewall bubble occur when I gave a set a go.

Yokahama Advan Neova AD08 -> Look the goods and are available in the correct size. Have not tried these but another member runs them I think and is happy with them.

Yokahama Advan Sport V103 -> Front is a 235 which is 6mm higher and 12mm wider than the normal size for these wheels. Rear is the correct size. If your not lowered then should be okay. I just realized that my panel beater installed these rather than the Neova ones that I asked for. I've yet to put the wheels back on the car so I'll have to double check tonight as I won't be happy if the buggers don't fit properly.

Conti Sportcontact 2 -> good tyre, grips well, strong side walls. Downside is they wear out damn fast and are expensive.

I also think Bridgestone make a non-rft in the right size but I have not tried that.

Hope this helps.

BTW -> regarding no spare tyre, just get the mobility kit or the space saver spare. Personally I have both but only carry the space saver on longer drives, for city stuff the mobility kit is fine IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 03:44 AM   #35
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

I hear mum and pop shops will repair them.

What do you mean same tread pattern front and rear?? Why not go with 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 there are about a dozen good tyres to choose from and rolling diameter is only 1% different.

I rely on a can of high pressure foam from Repco for my mobility
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #36
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
I hear mum and pop shops will repair them.

What do you mean same tread pattern front and rear?? Why not go with 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 there are about a dozen good tyres to choose from and rolling diameter is only 1% different.

I rely on a can of high pressure foam from Repco for my mobility
Assuming you stop as soon as the warning appears then a repair is probably okay on a RFT if it's in the tread and not the sidewall. However how many mom & pop's will stop straight away, SFA I'd expect. They will drive a few days before going to the tyre shop thus putting excess wear on the sidewall.... so you can understand the reluctance of a branded tyre shop to do a repair..

Same tread pattern is supposed to be better, I've personally never run different tyres front & back and honestly not sure if it would be good or bad

Agree about rolling dia, but if you have a stack then insurance could become an issue. Keep in mind these are very expensive cars to fix so if an insurance agent can say the wrong XYZ was fitted maybe contributing to the accident then you could have issues. Also look at your gaps on the front of an e90, an extra few mm will mean rubbing if your on coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #37
cloudyday
Rep
Drives: NA

I have a BMW 335 that has 400km on the clock, brand spanking new. Ran over a screw the other day. Called up BMW and about 5 other tyre dealers around the country. No one will fix it, it's illegal. They said there are 2 types of RFT. One that is non-repairable and ones that can be repaired. Guy said there is NO RFT repairable tyres currently sold in Australia. They could be coming in next year or the year after.

Had to fork out $870 to get a replacement. Screw penetrated a 2mm hole in the tyre and for that had to waste $870.

Having second thoughts on these BMWs, unless they get RFTs that can be repaired... $870 per tyre is asking too much. The BMW flat tyre monitor devices on these BMWs are very sensitive. If you have something sitting on the tyre and the wheel rotation slows down, you still get the prompt which will never go away.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 03:50 AM   #38
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
i won't be putting run flats back on when i get a puncture or they wear out, that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 04:39 AM   #39
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyday View Post
The BMW flat tyre monitor devices on these BMWs are very sensitive. If you have something sitting on the tyre and the wheel rotation slows down, you still get the prompt which will never go away.
Not entirely true. If you have a very slow leak (I have 19" wheels) the TPM will NOT alert you until you are effectively completely flat (I know- It happened to me). And visually you cannot tell if the tyres are flat, and the handling on RFTs is not very good so with a slow leak you don't notice the problem via poor cornering etc. (I had a screw in my tyre too. Killed the tyre on the inside because of low tyre pressure).

Moral of the story (RFTs or not- on very low profile tyres) is to check your pressures regularly and NOT rely on the TPM.

My 2c worth.
      12-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #40
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Let me do an update on my fantastic experiences with BMW and the stupid RFT's and now the rims.
Drove to Noosa on 19/12...morning of 21/12 saw the dreaded RFT sign light up on the dash...not again!!
This time called Beaurepairs and the guy said he would simply fix the puncture since I still had 20psi in the tyre and only drove 2KM (Did not bother with Bridgestone)
It was the right rear only replaced by a BMW approved tyre vendor some 60 odd days ago...when to be honest I could see nothing wrong with it.
Well what they found is astounding...Both rear rims are cracked one in 4 places perfectly aligned into a cross, so bad that I can get a finger nail into the crack.
Cracks are on the inside lip and it goes all the way back into the flat rim area, so the air was laeking through the cracks...in total some are over 30mm long.
I was advised that these cracks were not recent in the making and had been there for sometime and should have been picked up last time I had tyres replaced.
Glad I did not know about it driving up at 110KMH in the wet!!!
Long story short I had BMW Roadside assist pick the car up and take it to the nearest dealer 50K away.
Then BME dealer called to say that it is even worse..both rear rims are also badly out of round (bent) and also to a lesser extent one of the front ones...they are 19" style 230.
They have ordered new rims (will take a week to get) and submitted claim on BMW for the costs.
They were not confident that BMW would pay they said they will tell me the car hit something...yeah it DID...F%$^* potholes.
So I am getting the feeling I am going to be talking to my lawyer re compensation not to mention the risk of the driver and potential accident because BMW are putting tyres and wheel combinations onto cars which are not capable of handling the Australin roads.
How does one avoid potholes?...all I know is that there is a Sapphire Black 2006 e92 MT with 48K on the clock and all the options going onto the market.
This is in effect my last BMW after probably spending some money on tyres that did not even need to be replaced and the crap RFT and now rims I have had enough...love the car the engine etc etc...but this is just plain stupid I can afford the costs but why?
I will wait to see what BMW do with this issue, hopefully will know by Monday.
But in all seriousness those with 230 19" combinations may want to check the state of them.
I know I am going to get the ussual change the rims and tyres responses but the issue is I paid $130K for a car on the road with a tyre and wheel combination I like the look off. It should be able to handle the road conditions in a country they are selling the car in.
enough of rant...need to go and buy a Holden or a Toyota...at least I am going to have heaps of additional income.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #41
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

Tire and wheel warranty FTW and I know some ppl complained and bubles in those tires and BMW covered them under warranty
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #42
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

When I lived in the USA that was available..I have not seen any deal here for tyre insurance...but then I had no punctures in my BMW there or my prior BMW in Australia either...did not have the stupid RFT tyres either.
I am In Australia not Boston/USA
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 04:17 PM   #43
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
When I lived in the USA that was available..I have not seen any deal here for tyre insurance...but then I had no punctures in my BMW there or my prior BMW in Australia either...did not have the stupid RFT tyres either.
I am In Australia not Boston/USA
You may have a level of recourse to the local councils in the areas that you hit the particular potholes for breaching their implied duty of care. However whilst some have succeeded in this, i'd compare it drawing blood from a stone & hardly worth the effort. It is truly disappointing the condition our roads are kept in these days.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 01:29 AM   #44
.dee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Then BME dealer called to say that it is even worse..both rear rims are also badly out of round (bent) and also to a lesser extent one of the front ones...they are 19" style 230.

They have ordered new rims (will take a week to get) and submitted claim on BMW for the costs.
They were not confident that BMW would pay they said they will tell me the car hit something...yeah it DID...F%$^* potholes.
do not agree to pay for anything, neither labor, parts, nothing.

the 19's specially the style 225, and to a lesser extent 230, are known to have some structural weakness, its fairly serious too, i.e. in UK they stopped selling the 225's all together and BMW fixes all claims out "goodwill" ie not admitting manufacturing defects.

have a look here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313184
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315301
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190162

I'm keeping an eye on mine...
Appreciate 0