E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Is the 335 xDrive sedan fun to drive?

10-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #23
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

i have an XI coupe but it's close enough... YES IT'S FUN TO DRIVE!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #24
Lenaxia
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1822 View Post
Its awesome, step on the gas and into any corner even when its raining !!
Unfortunately I can't say the same. I managed to drift about 15' out of a corner into a rock face 2 days ago in my 330xi. It sticks to the road and is still really fun, but it's not invincible.

I swear by AWD these days too, the loss in mileage isn't really significant, I still get 19-20mpg in city driving though I shift around 2.5-3k. I may be in cali, but the convenience of when I want to go skiing is nice.
      11-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #25
chaz58
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328iT

Ouch. I assume you were ok? Better off than the car at least!

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #26
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Just wait and see when you get a little snow up there in Packer land. I have a winter set of tires and wheels I put on sometime around thanksgiving and I have never driven a car that handles better in the snow, I swear with dtc on you cant even tell there is snow on the ground and I fly past everyone. tons of fun in the snow. My car is better than the wife's x5!!!
      11-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #27
Firefly6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Xdrive

The feeling you get when you accelerate midway through a turn -- now that's fun.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #28
vantage_coupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly6 View Post
The feeling you get when you accelerate midway through a turn -- now that's fun.
I agree theres something about pulling through a corner with train-like authority that separates awd cars from the rest in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #29
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernande-bmw View Post

1) Is the 335i really that bad in snow, even with winter tires?

2) Is the 335 xDrive fun to drive in dry conditions even with the extra weight and the additional traction in the front wheels compared to the 335i?

Thanks!
1) My e90 335i is awesome with winter tires. You may have an e-diff with the 2010s, but I installed a real Quaife diff, so I have two wheels pulling rather than one wheel spinning. Winter tires make all the difference with braking...you don't really need to get an xdrive, as long as you have good winter tires....and drive sensibly.

2) xdrive cars have an open diff up front, so I don't know how that works. I drive my wife's Mercedes E350 4Matic AWD car and love the traction, so if the xdrive is comparable, you will have fun.

At the end of the day, I think that you don't necessarily need an xdrive car. Just get a 335i, add a Quaife or Wavetrac diff for under $2K total installed if you don't have a welded diff, get some dedicated winter tires, and enjoy the winter with the same amount of fun, without the extra weight! Plus, in summer, you will have more power to the pavement with power slides in a lighter chassis!

Just my preferences ... either way, you won't go wrong!

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #30
chaz58
Captain
Rep

Very good points. However, I think most of the people here would rather spend $2K on AWD rather than $4K on a Quaife (MT cars).

FYI, the RWD LCI cars have the e-diff. For the winter, it works similar as a Quaife (a Quaife would be better as a summer performance option though). You will never have 1 wheel spinning with the updated RWD cars.

Either way, they are both fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post
1) My e90 335i is awesome with winter tires. You may have an e-diff with the 2010s, but I installed a real Quaife diff, so I have two wheels pulling rather than one wheel spinning. Winter tires make all the difference with braking...you don't really need to get an xdrive, as long as you have good winter tires....and drive sensibly.

2) xdrive cars have an open diff up front, so I don't know how that works. I drive my wife's Mercedes E350 4Matic AWD car and love the traction, so if the xdrive is comparable, you will have fun.

At the end of the day, I think that you don't necessarily need an xdrive car. Just get a 335i, add a Quaife or Wavetrac diff for under $2K total installed if you don't have a welded diff, get some dedicated winter tires, and enjoy the winter with the same amount of fun, without the extra weight! Plus, in summer, you will have more power to the pavement with power slides in a lighter chassis!

Just my preferences ... either way, you won't go wrong!

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #31
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

I think the weather conditions is what makes up most of people's decisions, and how often they drive. If it is your daily car, then the xDrive would be a good investment. I know a lot of people or heard of a lot of instances where people crash their rear wheel drives on a curve even in the rain. The snow must be harder.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #32
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernande-bmw View Post
I am coming from a 2004 330i sedan and have survived with 225 HP and all-season tires for the last five years in Milwaukee, WI. Now, I am considering my next purchase from the 2010 sedan models.

Originally, I started looking into the 335i sedan. However, considering the 300 HP and additional torque, it has been brought up that it may not be a good choice for the icy/snowy winter months even with high performance snow tires.

The other choice is the 335 xDrive. On one side, the xDrive is $2K more expensive than the 335i, has worse fuel economy due to the heavier weight, and also lacks the sports suspension. On the other side, the AWD is useful in cold climates and if you deal with a lot of snow.

So, the questions I am pondering are:

1) Is the 335i really that bad in snow, even with winter tires?

2) Is the 335 xDrive fun to drive in dry conditions even with the extra weight and the additional traction in the front wheels compared to the 335i?

3) Are there any OEM additions to the 335 xDrive that would make it sportier?

Thanks!

Living in Utah, right in the middle of ski country, I can say the 335xi is a great machine. I also have 6 or 7 friends in 335i's who simply run snow tires with few issues. Sure the all-wheel drive is nice to have in the snow, but the RWD platform is quite capable in the snow with the proper tires.

If you want to drive an AWD car hard, you'll need to adjust your technique a bit.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #33
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I don't know about the E9x's, but I know the E46 xi's with the old AWD system had far less suspension travel, and made it more difficult to tune in suspension components for aftermarket parts.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 12:55 AM   #34
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
I love my xi. I wouldnt trade it for the i even if I wasnt in a snowy area.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #35
chaz58
Captain
Rep

I traded mine in. I just like the tossability and responsiveness of the RWD cars. They both have their advantages. Certainly there are things you can only do with AWD. You really need the turbos for it with the e90 - it gets pretty slow in the 328 with AWD and Auto trans.

Someday, BMW will make a car like the new S4 - then you won't have to make much of a compromise with AWD. But the e90 isn't quite there yet. Maybe 2012...

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #36
DavidJ_d.jervis@bmwofmiss
Rep
Drives: 96 328is

Garage List
1996 328is  [0.00]
A decent driver can still manage with RWd in winter, with awd it's basically a non issue. Buy winter tires either way tho
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #37
Winston Wolf
Tax Paying, Gun Toting American Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

People don't go around "tossing" their cars around every corner and spinning tires and doing donuts all the time. If you're like 99% of Americans you will drive to work and social functions, sit in traffic, and go to the store to buy groceries and dog food with your car. If your driving like a maniac, speeding and fishtailing all over, you will be getting tickets and your days of a valid drivers license will be short numbered. In normal driving you will never even know you have the x-drive. The only time you will need it, it will be working away to safely propel you and will likely go un-noticed. I have the Dinan Stg 2, unless your gun it off the line or are dropping the clutch to smoke tires,they are the same. In that situation you will feel the front wheels pulling you, that I can attest to. AWD is great in the snow, WITH SNOWTIRES. Don't expect miracles though. You will still slide the ass end out if you give it too much gas on the ice and snow, but it helps you to get moving in fluff and on ice and gets you back on course faster when you slip and slide. The weight is negligable and the mileage is all about how much and how quickly you plant that right foot. If I want, I can and sometimes do still get 29 mpg. So, if you are wanting safer travels and don't desire to stay in when there is 6 inches of snow on the ground, get the Xdrive. Also, the difference in the ride height just may be the difference from you hung up on the snow pack and you driving along warm and happy......Ive yet to be suck in my XI, the rear drive car before that....not so much. And as far as the horsepower thing; I don't care if you have 100 HP or 500 HP, unless your putting your foot to the floor to accelerate as fast as possible, they will both drive the same. I don't know about everyone else, but I adjust my horsepower output constantly, by metering the gas pedal....and when I take off I don't punch it every time.

Last edited by Winston Wolf; 12-07-2009 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #38
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
People don't go around "tossing" their cars around every corner and spinning tires and doing donuts all the time. If you're like 99% of Americans you will drive to work and social functions, sit in traffic, and go to the store to buy groceries and dog food with your car. If your driving like a maniac, speeding and fishtailing all over, you will be getting tickets and your days of a valid drivers license will be short numbered. In normal driving you will never even know you have the x-drive. The only time you will need it, it will be working away to safely propel you and will likely go un-noticed. I have the Dinan Stg 2, unless your gun it off the line or are dropping the clutch to smoke tires,they are the same. In that situation you will feel the front wheels pulling you, that I can attest to. AWD is great in the snow, WITH SNOWTIRES. Don't expect miracles though. You will still slide the ass end out if you give it too much gas on the ice and snow, but it helps you to get moving in fluff and on ice and gets you back on course faster when you slip and slide. The weight is negligable and the mileage is all about how much and how quickly you plant that right foot. If I want, I can and sometimes do still get 29 mpg. So, if you are wanting safer travels and don't desire to stay in when there is 6 inches of snow on the ground, get the Xdrive. Also, the difference in the ride height just may be the difference from you hung up on the snow pack and you driving along warm and happy......Ive yet to be suck in my XI, the rear drive car before that....not so much. And as far as the horsepower thing; I don't care if you have 100 HP or 500 HP, unless your putting your foot to the floor to accelerate as fast as possible, they will both drive the same. I don't know about everyone else, but I adjust my horsepower output constantly, by metering the gas pedal....and when I take off I don't punch it every time.
+1. explained beautifully