E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Anyone have the M3 strut bar installed??

12-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
joegeeZe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Anyone have the M3 strut bar installed??

Im considering this and just want to know if some people can share their experience with it.

Was it easy to install? (I am not mechanically inclined at all)
Did you notice a difference in handling? (I have base model suspension)
Was it worth the price? ($325 on ECS)

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
berserkerx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

if you are meaning the strut brace like the one that bolts to the top of the towers do not spend that much on one. buy the $100 one that is ecs brand.

if you mean sway bar then yeah I have that installed and it made a huge difference. this topic would do better in the suspension forum though.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
joegeeZe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerx View Post
if you are meaning the strut brace like the one that bolts to the top of the towers do not spend that much on one. buy the $100 one that is ecs brand.

if you mean sway bar then yeah I have that installed and it made a huge difference. this topic would do better in the suspension forum though.
Your right, I'll post it there.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

I've got one on the way to me right now. It is the best option currently for strut braces, but most members say there really isn't much difference.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

With base suspension You most likely wont notice it at all. I would start with springs/shocks or coils, and sway bars before a strut brace. The OEM one is fine especially if the rest isnt even sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
joegeeZe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
With base suspension You most likely wont notice it at all. I would start with springs/shocks or coils, and sway bars before a strut brace. The OEM one is fine especially if the rest isnt even sport suspension.
If I get coilovers will I pre-maturely wear out the other components of my suspension? Which brands are legit?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegeeZe View Post
If I get coilovers will I pre-maturely wear out the other components of my suspension? Which brands are legit?
A good set of coilovers shouldnt put any extra stress on anything. Coils will make the most difference to your car.

H&R, KW, Bilstein, Etc. Others will chime in. I would get a good set since it would be dumb to cheap out on such a nice car.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegeeZe View Post
AST, Ohlins, Moton, JRZ

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have it and drove with the stock sports suspension for a few weeks. Wasn't that noticeable, but I didn't push the car that hard. After installing coil overs and taking it to the track, the car was definitely more lively. The biggest benefit is the clearance and access to the adjusters for the front dampers. It definitely looks much better than the spindly stock bar.

I installed the strut bar myself and would say to try it yourself if you have the tools. I ended up purchasing a torque angle gauge, a set of universal sockets to accomodate the torx E14 bolt. I'll dig up part numbers for the extra bolts you should get instead of using the supplied studs. I feel it is worth the tools you'll need to buy to install it yourself and you'll get the satisfaction of working on your car.

Update: Add two more bolts, M8X20-8.8ZNS3 (p/n: 07119904401), and use in the place of the studs and nuts. This makes the installation much easier.

Last edited by neoduffer; 12-26-2011 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: fix typos; add bolt information
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #10
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

I just installed the M3 strut tower brace today. I have AST's and with the adjuster knob, the OEM bar would not fit. The M3 version has a ring with all three bolts as mounting points. Otherwise it is similar. I believe it will be significantly more effective based on its design. Not sure how much I expect it to increase handling, but certainly it is preferable to nothing- and since my oem bar didn't fit that was my alternative.

Regarding install, very easy. Google m3 strut tower brace install and there is a good write up. Half the job is pulling the cowl, so if you owned a JB3 or proceed in the past you have that down. Everything is easy to access. One issue I had was figuring out which bolts went where (they are all the same size, but 2 different types. There is a bit of an issue with getting the cowl back in place, but after some adjustments it is in.

FYI- I just used a 14mm socket on the torx bolt without issue.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #11
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI

If i were to get a strut bar I would get this one. Coils are priority for me though
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 02:09 AM   #12
yesido
Private
Rep
Drives: 135 and 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerx View Post

+1
Appreciate 0