E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E92 alignment

02-28-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
mburg
MBurg
Rep
Drives: '22 230

E92 alignment

I have a 335i delivered 9/28/06. Since delivery, going straight requires that the steering wheel be turned approximately 2-32 degrees to the left (e.g., 357-358 degrees). The shop forman at my dealer (BMW of Bayside) initally said, "it's a dynamic suspension; you have to give it time to break in". I didn't buy this, and pushed to have the allignment checked. He siad their machine was down, to wait a few months and schedule an appointment. I did so, and when I brought the car in for the service was told that, 1) they didn't have the software for this car downloaded to their machine yet, 2) it's not the front end, but rather the a steering column sensor that needs adjustment, and 3) as proof of (2), the car goes straight when you let go of the wheel (of course, not consistent with my driving experience on whatever road in Connecticut). This last explanation furthermore would seem only possible if it was 'drive by wire', which I don't believe is the case with the e92.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Am I correct about the 'drive by wire" notion? Does anyone have a favorite dealership in Connecticut?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

lol what a load of bullshit, besides that, if it was ANY of their excuses they should still be fixing it
      02-28-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
boggysv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A4, but riding the bus for now

I'm guessing you have active steering?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
jsarrafi
BiCoastal Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3

I had an early alignment issue with my e92 as well. Took in in a couple of times and the problem seems to be currently resolved. Allegedly something to do with the camber being off. Don't know why they couldn't have fixed it properly first go round.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
homerunball
Private
Rep
Drives: 96 Geo Metro 1.0L

E92 is drive by wire, but only for the throttle. Steering mechanism still has a hard mechanical contact. If you have active steering you may feel corrections by the system but only in certain conditions, ie, when you get a large crosswind at 80mph your vehicle will swerve slightly even though the steering wheel may be at the staight 0 degree position inherently due to suspension design, suspension compression, caster angle, etc. and the AS may adjust your steering input to straighten the vehicle out. (also in emergency situations) That is if you have AS.

Assuming your tire pressure is even and correct, tire condition is comparable left and right, experiencing no tramlining, and the road is even, not banked (even though most of them are)........

If your vehicle is tracking straight (even though the steering wheel may not be at the 0 degree position,) when you let go of the wheel at high speed, it sounds like a simple steering wheel adjustment.

If you let go of the wheel and the vehicle goes off track, then you have an alignment problem. Alignment is where most auto service shops rip off the customer the easiest. They love doing alignments. Most will just throw it on the alignment machine and just eyeball it. If is somewhat ok, they'll take the car off. If you really want to get a correct alignment, something that you can take to the track, go to a reputable alignment shop who will do it for you with you in the drivers seat. Your weight, how much fuel you have, etc. will all affect the alignment albeit slightly.

(camber adjustments will not make the car go off track. It will make it turn in faster or slower, may be a little jumpy. Toe settings might throw off the vehicle if they are not exactly the same left and right. all of these will kill your tires though.)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
homerunball
Private
Rep
Drives: 96 Geo Metro 1.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
lol what a load of bullshit

+1 Your dealer is misinformed.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
mburg
MBurg
Rep
Drives: '22 230

Don't have active steering. My assumption all along is that it is a "minor" allignment issue. I had the same thing on my previous car ('03 330ci) and my local tire/allignment shop made a very minor correction that fixed the problem right off.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
nin1616
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 30i Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburg View Post
I have a 335i delivered 9/28/06. Since delivery, going straight requires that the steering wheel be turned approximately 2-32 degrees to the left (e.g., 357-358 degrees). The shop forman at my dealer (BMW of Bayside) initally said, "it's a dynamic suspension; you have to give it time to break in". I didn't buy this, and pushed to have the allignment checked. He siad their machine was down, to wait a few months and schedule an appointment. I did so, and when I brought the car in for the service was told that, 1) they didn't have the software for this car downloaded to their machine yet, 2) it's not the front end, but rather the a steering column sensor that needs adjustment, and 3) as proof of (2), the car goes straight when you let go of the wheel (of course, not consistent with my driving experience on whatever road in Connecticut). This last explanation furthermore would seem only possible if it was 'drive by wire', which I don't believe is the case with the e92.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Am I correct about the 'drive by wire" notion? Does anyone have a favorite dealership in Connecticut?
After I got my car lowered, I had the same problem of having to hold the steering off center in order for the car to go straight. A few miles down the road I had the stability control and brake warning lights go off. I took it to the dealer to get it checked out and they said it was some issue with the steering sensor and that I needed an alignment (because of the spring install).

Once they did the alignment, no more warning lights and the steering wheel is back to the normal position.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nin1616 View Post
After I got my car lowered, I had the same problem of having to hold the steering off center in order for the car to go straight. A few miles down the road I had the stability control and brake warning lights go off. I took it to the dealer to get it checked out and they said it was some issue with the steering sensor and that I needed an alignment (because of the spring install).

Once they did the alignment, no more warning lights and the steering wheel is back to the normal position.
did they know your car was lowered when you brought your car into service?

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 12:39 AM   #10
nin1616
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 30i Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhwik View Post
did they know your car was lowered when you brought your car into service?
I didn't tell them it was lowered but when they called me to let me know what was wrong, they knew that I had after market springs on the car. I did have to pay for the alignment but I was expecting to.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 12:48 AM   #11
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

BMW of bayside has to be the worst service department. I called them to make a appointment, she tried to give me something 2 MONTHS later, I hung up, called BMW of Manhattan and they took my car within 2 days. If you decide to go to BMW of Manhattan ask for George (the greek) as a service advisor, really great guy, tells you everything straight, and doesnt give you the usual service BS run around.
      03-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #12
Ccatznip
Cat
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Space Grey

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2004 330i  [0.00]
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
i think i would try a differant dealership. I hate all these half-ass dealerships!!!! if you pay close to 50 grand for a car, you should expect allot better service.
      03-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #13
kevE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F8x

BMW of Bayside = Evil
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 08:08 AM   #14
Placey
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 3.0SI

George at BMW of manhattan is a good advisor to deal with. I used to work down there and deal with him, the techs that work under him (manhattan has a system where there is approx 8 techs that deal w/ 2 advisors, anything those 2 advisors get goes to one of those 8 techs, therefore if a customer sticks with the same advisor, the same guy will possibly get the car back that worked on it previously). He's your best bet at getting the best quality from BMW manhattan, i know its a pain in the ass if you're in the city to leave and go elsewhere.

If you dont mind travelling, come up to OC BMW and i'll make sure its done right!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2007, 01:17 PM   #15
MMakoto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lookin'

i had this problem when the dealer changed one of my rear tires a few months ago. i instantly felt the difference after that time, steering was slightly off, and the ride wasn't stable on tilted roads, but goes straight on flat roads. i took it in for wheel alignment 2 weeks ago, but the problem still exists. now i don't even know what more to do. anyone w/ suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2007, 07:17 PM   #16
rts001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Same problem. My car has 800 miles on it...and i hit a bump in Louisiana which we have got to have the worst roads...mine was off for ever...100 miles later hit a bump on the other side...problem fixed...self aligned !~ STILL going to have it checked.
Appreciate 0