E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Wastegate stuck open, safe to drive on?

07-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Wastegate stuck open, safe to drive on?

After only 17k miles, the wastegate on one of my turbos has managed to stay stuck open, I\'m going to be getting it replaced under warranty, but in the mean time, is it safe to continue daily driving the car? I know I\'ll be losing boost pressure, but is that okay?

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Haus_07
E85 is my friend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335

If it were a single turbo set up, I'd say it shouldn't be an issue. But, since you have the twin set up, it might be a problem. The main thing that would cause me to be hesitant to drive it would be that one bank of cylinders (3ea.) is going to be getting boost from the properly working wastegate, while the other bank of 3 cylinders isn't going to be getting any boost. I don't know if the DME will take the open wastegate into account and try to balance it out or not. You could possibly be putting more pressure on one half of the engine than the other half, and that's not good. I think I would call the dealer, tell them what's going on, and see if maybe they can send a flatbed out to pick it up. Just my .02
//sparkling graphite metallic // sport package // logic 7 // m-tech wheel // HID fogs // LED angels // M3 style CF hood // matte black kindney's // AFE DCI // kittyless DP's // custom SS exhaust // Godspeed FMIC // 15ohm JB4// DV Mod //
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Haus_07
E85 is my friend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335

I missed the part about daily driving. I thought you were just gonna try and limp it to the dealer. No, I would not drive it as a daily driver. You will be just asking for trouble, not to mention the car is gonna run like shit. Get it into the dealer, and get yourself a loaner. That's what the warrenty is for!!!!
//sparkling graphite metallic // sport package // logic 7 // m-tech wheel // HID fogs // LED angels // M3 style CF hood // matte black kindney's // AFE DCI // kittyless DP's // custom SS exhaust // Godspeed FMIC // 15ohm JB4// DV Mod //
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
MKR_DmD
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 16 Jeep Cherokee

Park it. You would have to drive the car under no boost conditions which is hard, when it is designed to do it.

Get loaner from the dealer. You don't want to mess up something else and have the dealer deny the work.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: M2 and...

If you have faulty wastegate, than you shoud drive very-very moderatly until you change the faulty one.
When only one turbo works fine, and the other does not, than the good one has to be work much harder (instead of the faulty one) to provide the given total boost required by the ECU. It may means in your cases that the good turbo will do twice as much work as before.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

cylinder distribution will be the same... turbo air paths converge before the IC. part throttle should be ok for driving, until you can take it in.

How do you know it's stuck open... that's the mechanical default?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

If you don't build a lot of boost you should be fine. Just drive like a grandma and stay out of boost. If you try to drive too fast, you'll just go limp from underboosting anyways. I would drive it as little as possible, but if you need to, you should be fine as long as you drive slow.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
OfourTHREEfive
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

People are overexagerating. Drove my 1j with a stuck open every now and then. Just dont rev it out, not that big a deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

You can drive just stay out of boost. Although a conservative gent would say park it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

I can tell by the exhaust tone and how audible the turbo noise is. I'll need to go back to stock before I bring it into the dealer.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
Javier
Major
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

same thing happened to me, i only used the car for short trips before i got it into the dealership, i'm pretty sure the car goes into reduced engine power mode and opens the other wg to compensate.

did your 1/2 engine light come on?

btw, how did it turn out at the dealership? did they fix/adjust the wg or did they end up having to replace the whole turbo?
      10-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haus_07 View Post
If it were a single turbo set up, I'd say it shouldn't be an issue. But, since you have the twin set up, it might be a problem. The main thing that would cause me to be hesitant to drive it would be that one bank of cylinders (3ea.) is going to be getting boost from the properly working wastegate, while the other bank of 3 cylinders isn't going to be getting any boost. I don't know if the DME will take the open wastegate into account and try to balance it out or not. You could possibly be putting more pressure on one half of the engine than the other half, and that's not good. I think I would call the dealer, tell them what's going on, and see if maybe they can send a flatbed out to pick it up. Just my .02
Not true at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
melmo
Rep
Drives: 335i

I had a similar problem and drove it for awhile with the issue. I had the rattle and apparently one wastegate wasn't closing, but somehow I wasn't getting a warning light. Both turbos were replaced under warranty.

As Joshboody said, the turbo paths converge, so it's not like you'll only be boosting half the engine. More like the whole engine will be boosted half as much. Or something like that
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #14
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

One of my vacuum tanks failed and it went to limp mode so I can't see this being any more harmful.

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #15
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Check out the wastegate solenoids. Might be faulty
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #16
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
This quote needs to go into the record books... LOL Haus, when you figure this one out, let us know.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #17
Tiny Chainsaw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
After only 17k miles, the wastegate on one of my turbos has managed to stay stuck open, I\'m going to be getting it replaced under warranty, but in the mean time, is it safe to continue daily driving the car? I know I\'ll be losing boost pressure, but is that okay?
I know this might be a dead thread, but what ended up happening? The same thing is happening to my car n54, no CEL, 17K miles on the car, but now my car is behaving normally and I got a foreman to test drive it and he said it felt fine.

Could it be possible that the waste gate got unstuck? Or somehow the DME managed to compensate for the turbo that is stuck?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Chainsaw View Post
I know this might be a dead thread, but what ended up happening? The same thing is happening to my car n54, no CEL, 17K miles on the car, but now my car is behaving normally and I got a foreman to test drive it and he said it felt fine.

Could it be possible that the waste gate got unstuck? Or somehow the DME managed to compensate for the turbo that is stuck?
What makes you think there's something wrong? You said there's no codes, behaves normally, and a foreman thinks it's fine. Can you tell us what it's doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #19
MAC335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jet Black E90 335i

Quote:
You could possibly be putting more pressure on one half of the engine than the other half, and that's not good.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #20
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Chainsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post

My buddy and I got under the car on a lift and were actually able to get it to unstick, never made it to the dealer, same waste gates now at 45k miles. They never stuck again after messing with the actuator.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #21
Tiny Chainsaw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
What makes you think there's something wrong? You said there's no codes, behaves normally, and a foreman thinks it's fine. Can you tell us what it's doing wrong?
Less boost, less power overall, and I have throttle lag now. I gas it all the way in 4th going 50 and the car goes nowhere until 1-2 seconds later.

I just know there's something wrong lol. I'm pretty sure it'll show up again later though so I'll just see for now..

I just wanna find out what happened to OP.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #22
bmwturbopower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335i

Blast from the past, but I'm in the same boat. Going to go under the car and see if I can get the arm/wastgate to do anything. Dealer is quoting 6K