E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY- Trims wrap with CF fabric

09-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #133
E55 Bulldog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustysack View Post
I will continue to laugh at fake cf. The fact that 5000 yards of this material has been sold just reinforces the old saying "theres a sucker born every minute- and 2 to take em" I wish I had bought a bunch of this stuff to sell to people who put it on there lease cars then in 3-4 years do in again- and kiemyster as far as riced out pontiac YEAH OK- you will not see another car like this ever in your life- you know why?? because I made all the parts myself - good luck trying to buy any of the parts you saw in my post, they are all 1 offs- and that is the true essence of modding your car- one of a kind shit that no one else can get or at least being the first to have it- I mean really how many 1965 GTOs have you seen with a carbon fiber grill panel or interior??cmon if you like to mod out your whip you have to appreciate the time I have put into this car to make it unique-
now I am off to buy a roll of the fake cf to sell to everyone who wants it
Crustysack… really…. Your name is Crustysack?? You used the phrase “modyou’re your whip”…. I have a cool word too. Dooshbag…. Yup… you’re a dooshbag.

So just because you have the time, money, and ability to make you own CF parts you think you are better then everyone else on this forum… Really… You have a CF ego chip on your crustysack. At first I was giving you respect when I first started to look at your post to this thread but after I read what you had to say I lost all respect.

You think the sole reason for people modding their cars is so the will have something that no one else has… I don’t think that’s true. The reason people mod their cars and are on this forum and all the other forums is because of their love for the automobile and having a sense of ownership of making their car look and drive they way they want to.

The dry carbon look is the direction that BMW themselves have taken… look at the new year M3s.

Having a CF interior is really for looks only. You are not going to save that much weight by having a CF interior… unless you gut your car and truly have a full CF race interior. Im pretty sure you buddies 90k Mercedes probably had a real CF interior, unless it was aftermarket plates… but what I know about Mercedes, which is a lot, their CF interiors are not fake.

Sooo… with all due respect and I mean with all due respect… go f* yourself. Don’t come on this tread and like you are better then the rest of these guys because you do your own CF… We are all here to help and educate each other…. Not degrade what others have done.

Im done…. You’re a joke. Thanks for your input on Carbon Fiber Crustysack…. Thank you !!! Good luck with the GTO… too bad its owned by a dooshbag!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #134
E55 Bulldog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Oh yeah.. Good luck with the CF engine covers… since high amounts of heat turn CF yellow… yup… yellow….

And… I hope you used UV clear on all the outside pieces… they will turn yellow too from the sun… just a little FYI…

Best of luck buddy.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 02:46 AM   #135
zshortyz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 2007 328i

crusty nice job you spent 10k on CF for a car thats about 3k, and in 6 months that 10k you spent on the CF is gonna look like yellow piss in a toilet. dont be coming into forums belt high thinking your better than any of us, tbh, that CF looks way too shiny almost like you coulda just put chrome and it look the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #136
crustysack
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1965 pontiac gto

ok bulldog first off its spelled douche bag and second yellowing is caused by using sub standard resin systems and non uv clearcoats the carbon fiber does not turn yellow its the resin- thats why a $300 hood turns to shit in 2 months during the making of cf the strands are subject to heats around 5500 f- I dont think my engine will be putting out that much
I do not think I am better than anyone but I call em like I see em. Yes BMW is going with the flat carbon look- but that material is leather trim- and I bet the main reason is manufacturing costs. and the 90k benz had abs plastic trim but the owner swore it was real- so thats where my main beef comes in- people selling something that they say is something else- and the uneducated consumer believes he has bought something that is worth alot more than it is. It would be like me slapping M3 badges on a regular 3 series and trying to sell it as an M. so if I come off as an asshole I apologize

and zshorty before you run your uneducated mouth check the prices on 64-68 gtos and if you find 1 for 3k call me- the value of my car will continue to go up
and I will also go out saying that the diy guide was very well done
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #137
RON1X
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S Guards Red

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
what is the best way to get the trim pieces off the car? I just want to ask about the center console w/ idrive and the front piece with start/stop button electrics attached.

I haven't tried to take anything off at all, maybe its easier than I thought.

Do you simply use a flat head screwdriver? Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't want to break one of the clips on the back of the trims and have to buy new ones...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #138
Soni
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Just a car

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL E92 View Post
what is the best way to get the trim pieces off the car? I just want to ask about the center console w/ idrive and the front piece with start/stop button electrics attached.

I haven't tried to take anything off at all, maybe its easier than I thought.

Do you simply use a flat head screwdriver? Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't want to break one of the clips on the back of the trims and have to buy new ones...
I used 2 old credit cards and either flat head or butter knife. First you insert the 2 credit cards then slice the flat head or butter knife between the credit card then twice. the credit cards will prevent you scratching the trims and the part behind the trims. I started on the Start button side, then the far side by the door, and work my way to the middle. Becareful there are 2 sets of wires (the Start/stop and the DTC) connected to the trims. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #139
jobe325
Rep
Drives: Dropped Silver 325i

Thanks

Your post inspired me to have my car done. I could not afford BMW's CF and heard how the overlays lose the adhesive over time. So finally I found a company that would do it for me. If anyone needs cf wrapping I highly recommend truCarbon 954-254-0253.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #140
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

How are the early adopter's fabric install holding up? 1-2-3 years? Is there any fabric besides CF? I had the brushed aluminum in my E46 M3 and really liked that. I have Terra interior and really don't think CF is a good choice...neither is the wood crap.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #141
Soni
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
How are the early adopter's fabric install holding up? 1-2-3 years? Is there any fabric besides CF? I had the brushed aluminum in my E46 M3 and really liked that. I have Terra interior and really don't think CF is a good choice...neither is the wood crap.
use the right adhesive and they will hold up good. If you like your brushed aluminum, keep it that way IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #142
Car54
Captain
Rep

But I have wood...and there's a chip in it. I'm looking for an aluminum looking fabric.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #143
Soni
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [9.00]
Quote:
But I have wood...and there's a chip in it. I'm looking for an aluminum looking fabric.
in that case, you can go with the CF Titianum fabric color.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #144
Car54
Captain
Rep

Are you guys spraying the backs of the trim after you first apply the fabric to the trim piece? Spray topside, lay on fabric, flip over, spray back side, wrap edges, trim? Spraying the back of the trim seems to get pretty messy.
      11-06-2009, 11:52 PM   #145
Soni
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [9.00]
Quote:
Are you guys spraying the backs of the trim after you first apply the fabric to the trim piece? Spray topside, lay on fabric, flip over, spray back side, wrap edges, trim? Spraying the back of the trim seems to get pretty messy.
that how I did my. Put the 3M spray can closer to the area you want to spray. Do a quick one layer spray will be enough. This will reduce the spray area, less messy, but you must let it air dry or blow on it for like 20-30 sec before you wrap over.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 03:29 AM   #146
D.yi
Major
Rep
Drives: SB e92 335i

now we need a diy on taking all the trim out of an e92...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #147
Car54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soni View Post
that how I did my. Put the 3M spray can closer to the area you want to spray. Do a quick one layer spray will be enough. This will reduce the spray area, less messy, but you must let it air dry or blow on it for like 20-30 sec before you wrap over.
Just got all my pieces back in tonight. I'm so happy the way everything came out. The only issues I had were small and on the main DTC trim panel wrapping the outer sides. It's a complex compound angle and found it difficult. Everything else took lots of patience and planning. My wife was surprised that it came out so good...I was too actually.

Last edited by Car54; 11-09-2009 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 01:01 AM   #148
AllEyesOnMe
TeQuiero
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Has anyone tried to put clearcoat on it?
      11-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #149
Car54
Captain
Rep

I couldn't imagine why you'd want to do that. I think getting it all back together with increased mil thickness of the material + clear coating, you'd have a challenge. The feeling of it is really quite nice and I hated the glossy wood look.
      11-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #150
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Hey, has anyone decided to wrap the trim on the steering wheel? I saw some pics in another thread by BavarianX that had done it, but it's disappeared... Was wondering how you get the trim off the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #151
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Hey, has anyone decided to wrap the trim on the steering wheel? I saw some pics in another thread by BavarianX that had done it, but it's disappeared... Was wondering how you get the trim off the wheel.
it might be better to just get the real CF steering wheel, as there are edges/curves on the steering wheel already

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #152
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92-Lighting View Post
it might be better to just get the real CF steering wheel, as there are edges/curves on the steering wheel already

I was thinking about doing that actually, but when I researched what's involved, decided it's not worth the hassle for me.

First you have to take the wheel off, which is a 2 hour project, and involves taking out the airbag too, which I don't want to mess with...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11825

And THEN... you have to do the cover:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13859
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #153
FoShizzle
aka Mike
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
I was thinking about doing that actually, but when I researched what's involved, decided it's not worth the hassle for me.

First you have to take the wheel off, which is a 2 hour project, and involves taking out the airbag too, which I don't want to mess with...
Actually, taking of the steering wheel trim is its a 10 min job max. Removing the entire wheel isn't necessary. And after you disconnect the battery there's just two clips holding the airbag in.

Airbag removal is like this for sport AND non-sport:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19680

Heres how to unbolt the trim piece:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ing+wheel+trim
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 11:40 PM   #154
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJabb View Post
Actually, taking of the steering wheel trim is its a 10 min job max. Removing the entire wheel isn't necessary. And after you disconnect the battery there's just two clips holding the airbag in.

Airbag removal is like this for sport AND non-sport:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19680

Heres how to unbolt the trim piece:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ing+wheel+trim
Thanks Mike! The second link doesn't mention anything about him removing his airbag though. You think it's possible to swap the trim without removing the airbag? That would be awesome!
Appreciate 0