E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Help me with MOST bus distribution block

09-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Help me with MOST bus distribution block

So, I am retrofitting BT and the USB/AUX option into my e92 335i using a MULF in the trunk.

I want to make sure that I setup my fiber optic distribution block correctly. With a flashlight I checked the plug in the trunk and this is the diagram I came up with.

The lower block which I have read is the block that is in the MOST loop only has 2 in/out cables currently. My MULF cables are on the upper block and on pins #1.

What pins on the two blocks should I move around to get the MULF cables into the loop? Diagram below
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep

Will this config work?

Move TOP LOWER block #2 to TOP position LOWER block #3
Move TOP position UPPER block #1 to TOP position LOWER block #2
Move BOTTOM position UPPER block #1 to BOTTOM position LOWER block #3

BOTTOM and TOP refer to position on each block & UPPER and LOWER refer to the two blocks separately

Last edited by Gossypiboma; 09-15-2012 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

I've not touched the MOST distribution block. but from the retrofit guide, it says to swop the fiber optic cables which in this case will be as follows

LOWER block BOTTOM #2 move to UPPER block BOTTOM #1
UPPER block BOTTOM #1 (MULF cable) move to LOWER block BOTTOM #2

please label all your cables properly before swopping in case you need to reverse the changes
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozee View Post
I've not touched the MOST distribution block. but from the retrofit guide, it says to swop the fiber optic cables which in this case will be as follows

LOWER block BOTTOM #2 move to UPPER block BOTTOM #1
UPPER block BOTTOM #1 (MULF cable) move to LOWER block BOTTOM #2

please label all your cables properly before swopping in case you need to reverse the changes
I don't see how that gets the MULF into the loop. Doesn't the MULF have an input and an output? If so, then both need to be in the loop.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting View Post
I don't see how that gets the MULF into the loop. Doesn't the MULF have an input and an output? If so, then both need to be in the loop.
yes, one of the cable is IN and the other is OUT.

so ASSUMMING that all TOP positions are IN and all BOTTOM positions are OUT, what I've suggested is getting the IN from MULF to the OUT from another device, then the IN from another device to the OUT of the MULF.

How MOST works is that it is a ring circuit. imagine you have a big circular hoop (MOST circuit) and you need to add something (MULF) to the ring. so what you need to do is to cut the ring (at LOWER block #2) and join your new thing to it.

hope you can visualize my analogy.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep

Quote:
yes, one of the cable is IN and the other is OUT.

so ASSUMMING that all TOP positions are IN and all BOTTOM positions are OUT, what I've suggested is getting the IN from MULF to the OUT from another device, then the IN from another device to the OUT of the MULF.

How MOST works is that it is a ring circuit. imagine you have a big circular hoop (MOST circuit) and you need to add something (MULF) to the ring. so what you need to do is to cut the ring (at LOWER block #2) and join your new thing to it.

hope you can visualize my analogy.
I somewhat see what you are saying. Look at the configuration I proposed, will that work as well? I searched and saw someone mentioned they used that config and everything was ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting View Post
I somewhat see what you are saying. Look at the configuration I proposed, will that work as well? I searched and saw someone mentioned they used that config and everything was ok.
I think the last part you meant LOWER block #3 instead?
Should work as well but why move 3 cables when you can move 2?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep

Quote:
I think the last part you meant LOWER block #3 instead?
Should work as well but why move 3 cables when you can move 2?
Yeah, I meant lower. Ill try it and see if I get any problems while coding my car.
Appreciate 0