E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > OBDII Code 0306. Code only thrown with PROcedeinstalled. HELP

09-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
jusbechillin
/|/|uffin/|/|an
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Space Gray BMW 335I coupe

OBDII Code 0306. Code only thrown with PROcedeinstalled. HELP

So I have been throwing my service engine light and/or limp mode almost daily in my car since I have installed Procede....... I have checked wiring many times. Vishnu Tuning has told me that since I am only throwing one specific code(306 "cylinder 6 misfire") that it isnt the PROcede it has to be something else... When the chip is defective and/or installed incorrectly it would throw multiple codes not just one. First they wanted me to make sure it didnt happen with PROcede installed but with the stock map loaded..... So for a week and a half I ran the car with the chip installed but with stock map loaded. I drove my car harder than ever trying to create the problem with no trouble at all... So then they thought it would either be a bad spark plug or a bad coil pack. So I ordered the special tool to remove the spark plug and replaced spark plug #6. I also swapped coil pack #1 with #6. I still throw code 306 and have limp mode almost any time I get on it. I have also cleared the code and took it to service and they found no problems... They also ran a stress test on the fuel pump.

I am hoping someone will have a solution to this for I am ready to uninstall my PROcede and trade in the damn car..... At my wits end..... ANYONE?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 10:27 PM   #2
Shinchan
LED Rules
Rep
Drives: Sold: 335xi Coupe

sell ur procede.. and get Xede

When was the last time someone post Limp with Xede?
      09-14-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I say instead of loading the stock map...take the uninstall the Procede and return everything to its original...See how the car performs..if still throwing this 306 code take it to dealer and have them fix the problem or lemon the car...thats what i would do
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 10:51 PM   #4
jusbechillin
/|/|uffin/|/|an
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I say instead of loading the stock map...take the uninstall the Procede and return everything to its original...See how the car performs..if still throwing this 306 code take it to dealer and have them fix the problem or lemon the car...thats what i would do
After I got my car back from service it was a good week before I got around to re-installng Procede and the car was fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 10:56 PM   #5
kaji335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by headparrot View Post
I'd sell your procede and get a JB2....I have not heard of any complaints about "throwing codes" with this system. power increase with the JB2 seems to be very good.
Thats cause theres a whole 50 people running it. If you are looking for a JB why not just buy a manual boost controller.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 01:50 AM   #6
jusbechillin
/|/|uffin/|/|an
United_States
Rep

Im not questioning that PROcede is the chip to have.... I really want mine... I just want it to work properly... As of this point since I have tried everything Vishnu's suggested, besides switching the PROcede unit, I feel that it would be fair for Vishnu Tuning to replace my hardware to see if that might just be the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 02:15 AM   #7
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Ever tried the v1.47 LBT map ?

- Eugen
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 04:18 AM   #8
bnj
Banned
Rep

Would that help for code 306?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 07:11 AM   #9
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Change the plug for cylinder 6 and if it still occurs, move the coil pack to another cylinder and see if the problem moves with it. Sounds like either a plug or coil pack is marginal and and becomes visible with the extra load from the PROcede.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 07:27 AM   #10
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Change the plug for cylinder 6 and if it still occurs, move the coil pack to another cylinder and see if the problem moves with it. Sounds like either a plug or coil pack is marginal and and becomes visible with the extra load from the PROcede.
he already did that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusbechillin View Post
So I ordered the special tool to remove the spark plug and replaced spark plug #6. I also swapped coil pack #1 with #6. I still throw code 306 and have limp mode almost any time I get on it. I have also cleared the code and took it to service and they found no problems... They also ran a stress test on the fuel pump.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #11
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

If the car ran fine without the Procede unit installed, then my final solution is speak to Calvin or Shivs and ask for a new Procede unit with the harnass and return your old one...Maybe one in a million your old Procede unit has a glitch....The would be your last resort and i am sure the guys at Vishnu can accomodate you because of all your troubles...If you get the new one and its still doing this, i wouldn't know what else to suggest to you...I hope you resolve your issues soon...Its been a long journey for you and i feel you dude...You love your car and this mod and you just want the car to run perfect...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #12
jusbechillin
/|/|uffin/|/|an
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Ever tried the v1.47 LBT map ?

- Eugen

Thats what i have loaded...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #13
bnj
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaji335i View Post
If you are looking for a JB why not just buy a manual boost controller.
You should be careful of what you propose. That would affect the threshold of boost onset and also increase lag. I think you are proposing functionally a lot worse alternative. Also the safety will deteriorate by installing a manual boost controller, whereas JB2 fuel enrichment improves safety.

Can you explain by what way do you address the inherent problems that come along just a manual boost controller?

Is there even anyone who would offer a manual boost controller for 335i? I certainly hope not! Suggesting something like that is just insane and shows no responsibility. Someone could go and install it!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Have you thought about switching your map from 1.47 to 1.45? I've been running 1.45 since day 1 and love it.
      09-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #15
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
he already did that...
Doh, that is what I get for browsing quickly prior to walking out the door.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #16
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
You should be careful of what you propose. That would affect the threshold of boost onset and also increase lag. I think you are proposing functionally a lot worse alternative. Also the safety will deteriorate by installing a manual boost controller, whereas JB2 fuel enrichment improves safety.

Can you explain by what way do you address the inherent problems that come along just a manual boost controller?

Is there even anyone who would offer a manual boost controller for 335i? I certainly hope not! Suggesting something like that is just insane and shows no responsibility. Someone could go and install it!
I think he was being sarcastic with the manual boost control comment.
      09-15-2007, 11:03 AM   #17
scalbert
Major General
Rep

I believe what is being missed by most here is that these misfires are occurring on only one cylinder. The PROcede does not have ignition or fuel control per-cylinder; it adjust the input signals which the DME alters the timing and fuel for all cylinders. So, a wiring issue or boost target (different map) is not likely to be an issue. This sounds like a pure mechanical function which may be difficult to resolve.

Since the plug was replaced and the coil packs moved and the problem persisted then the other area to look at it the fuel for that cylinder. Not having pulled these DI's I do not know how difficult they are to pull but that is probably the next step. Move an injector and see if the problem moves with it.

If it stays with cylinder 6 the problem could be more significant. An improperly seated valve, etc. This is most likely becoming visible under the increased load but the problem has always been there. Heck, even a poor casting of this head could cause the issue and under stock loads, it may never be seen or may take longer to become visible. But I would hope it is just the injector at this point.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #18
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusbechillin View Post
First they wanted me to make sure it didnt happen with PROcede installed but with the stock map loaded..... So for a week and a half I ran the car with the chip installed but with stock map loaded. I drove my car harder than ever trying to create the problem with no trouble at all...
The above would suggest that the PROcede hardware and installation is fine. As mentioned previosuly, since the plug and coil pack were eliminated, start looking at the next portion and that would be fuel. You may need to move an injector just like what was done with the coil pack.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #19
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Just brainstorming:

...Maybe BMW came up with a new ECU program that trigger issues when piggybacks are detected. This began to occur after he got the car back from service, so a new ECU program may have been loaded.

...Perhaps this is the 1st sign of issues with the N54 engine and increased boost mods. Dinan (and others) have said in the past that cylinders 5 and 6 lack adequate cooling capacity for big power performance mods...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #20
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

^ Don't think so ( ECU SW upgrade with that intension ). I also had ( once ) cylinder misfire on #6, loaded v1.47LBT and it has gone. The map is less aggressive. I wait for V2 now and will use the new maps and user adjustable parameters to find "my" tune with upgraded FMIC and catted DP's.

However, what we are talking about seems to be a different problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
The above would suggest that the PROcede hardware and installation is fine. As mentioned previosuly, since the plug and coil pack were eliminated, start looking at the next portion and that would be fuel. You may need to move an injector just like what was done with the coil pack.
+1

- Eugen
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 03:01 PM   #21
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
Just brainstorming:

...Maybe BMW came up with a new ECU program that trigger issues when piggybacks are detected. This began to occur after he got the car back from service, so a new ECU program may have been loaded.

...Perhaps this is the 1st sign of issues with the N54 engine and increased boost mods. Dinan (and others) have said in the past that cylinders 5 and 6 lack adequate cooling capacity for big power performance mods...
On the first thought, I would not believe to be the case. It is my understanding that misfire detection is done by monitoring the frequency of the CPK signal (crank position sensor) and possibly the cams position sensors. If a misfire occurs the acceleration of the engine briefly slows and then speeds up again. The DME will pick up this momentary lag and know which cylinder fired. It normally does not do set a code on a single misfire detection but after several (perhaps fifteen or so) a code would be triggered.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment though, since the PROcede does have the ability to retard timing some, I could see a single or a few detections might be triggered since there would be an immediate pull back in the phase. This could be construed as a misfire. However, I highly doubt that this would only be seen on a single cylinder. If an update to the DME could try and detect a piggyback system this way, I would highly suspect that P0306 would not be the singular code but rather P0300 would be thrown. P0300 is a random misfire code.

On the second matter, if it were a general weakness I would suspect that we would see this with more vehicles at this time. While limp mode has occurred with others, it has not been due to a misfire detection on a single cylinder for the vast majority. And of that majority, most were boost target not being reached codes or octane issues.

This issue intrigues me as it is not all surprising. Why I say that is due to experience in seeing unique issues with certain cars occur across all makes and models when modified. There will always be a few cars which have inherent issues (may not be the case here, just commenting) that only appear when the load is increased. Often times these issues do show up in stock form at some point though. Heck, (although unlikely) could a cam have been installed and be off by one tooth or jumped (very highly unlikely) at some point. In the end, this is the issue with modifications; some will never have problems, while others will be plagued.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 12:06 AM   #22
jusbechillin
/|/|uffin/|/|an
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
Just brainstorming:

No, as I stated I have had this problem since day one with Procede...
Appreciate 0