E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD dyno numbers are in!

02-28-2016, 04:47 AM   #89
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

Did you say next week? *grin*
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #90
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
Yes, MHD E40 map. Boost peak 18 psi. Recommend FMIC at this boost level to keep IAT's down. My car was 100% stock and I left power on the table because my LPFP couldn't support E40. I have a new Stage 2 LPFP now and will be heading back to the dyno this coming week.
Just stumbled across this thread. My 335is is stock other than DCIs/ charge pipe, and I'm running the 93 S1+FMIC tune. Since I'm stock FMIC I've supplemented octane slightly with a couple gallons of E85, and the logs are absolutely clean as a whistle. I'm going to take the car to the track here in a few hours to see how it does. What's funny is a friend was just asking yesterday what I thought the car was making, and I said "seat of the pants, it feels like about 360-370 whp and 390 tq or so." Nice to see I was likely pretty close.

One thing I have noticed is that my launch control is no longer present after I flashed to MHD. The car is appropriately warmed up, and all the necessary car settings are in place. Is that a common issue after the flash? It's useless at 5k rpm setpoint, but I would be interested in dropping it down to 3500 with the 135is software.
      02-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #91
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
Just stumbled across this thread. My 335is is stock other than DCIs/ charge pipe, and I'm running the 93 S1+FMIC tune. Since I'm stock FMIC I've supplemented octane slightly with a couple gallons of E85, and the logs are absolutely clean as a whistle. I'm going to take the car to the track here in a few hours to see how it does. What's funny is a friend was just asking yesterday what I thought the car was making, and I said "seat of the pants, it feels like about 360-370 whp and 390 tq or so." Nice to see I was likely pretty close.

One thing I have noticed is that my launch control is no longer present after I flashed to MHD. The car is appropriately warmed up, and all the necessary car settings are in place. Is that a common issue after the flash? It's useless at 5k rpm setpoint, but I would be interested in dropping it down to 3500 with the 135is software.
We'll add that to the list of things we need to address. New v6 maps with new DCT settings will be out shortly. I think you'll really enjoy the new maps.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #92
Rory
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SE 6MT

Garage List
2005 Z4 3.0 6MT  [0.00]
2007 335i 6MT  [0.00]
Are all maps updated in v6 ?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #93
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, MHD E40 map. Boost peak 18 psi. Recommend FMIC at this boost level to keep IAT's down. My car was 100% stock and I left power on the table because my LPFP couldn't support E40. I have a new Stage 2 LPFP now and will be heading back to the dyno this coming week.
I'm looking at my mhd app and the built-in maps. The E40 V 5.1 at the bottom says fmic + dp's required. Is this not correct? I'd like to run the E40 OTS but I'm on stock cats.

I have the fuel-it original online walbro lpfp setup and AMS fmic. Would this be sufficient to run that E40 map? Your post above said 100% stock...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #94
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
I'm looking at my mhd app and the built-in maps. The E40 V 5.1 at the bottom says fmic + dp's required. Is this not correct? I'd like to run the E40 OTS but I'm on stock cats.

I have the fuel-it original online walbro lpfp setup and AMS fmic. Would this be sufficient to run that E40 map? Your post above said 100% stock...
Well popular beliefs and assumptions have set the standards for FBO to include DPs. On stock turbos with almost 100% wgdc, Doug from FrankenTurbo has show zero power gains which lead me to believe that the stock down pipes are fine to run any of the MHD maps. I do recommend for safety a CP, FMIC, and K&N drop in filter. The #1 most restrictive part on our cars would be the inlet piping.

So to answer your question, Yes you can run the E40 without any issues. For the Ethanol maps, I do recommend people log there LPFP and upgrade to a stage 2 if they see pressure drop below 50 psi.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #95
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Quote:
Well popular beliefs and assumptions have set the standards for FBO to include DPs. On stock turbos with almost 100% wgdc, Doug from FrankenTurbo has show zero power gains which lead me to believe that the stock down pipes are fine to run any of the MHD maps. I do recommend for safety a CP, FMIC, and K&N drop in filter. The #1 most restrictive part on our cars would be the inlet piping.

So to answer your question, Yes you can run the E40 without any issues. For the Ethanol maps, I do recommend people log there LPFP and upgrade to a stage 2 if they see pressure drop below 50 psi.
Right on and very interesting re the lack of power gain!

Thankfully I am dci, cp, fmic, walbro inline. I'll give it a go. Just flashed the stage 1+fmic 91 and it is a nice bump from stock. I'm ultra gunshy as I'm the last 6 months I have had to replace the entire engime due to cracked #2 piston, new injectors, DME and a load of other shit. 2015 was not a good year for my 335. My engine failure and the DME happened on the literally the same exact spot on a road right by my house...i will never go that way home again. I have a full-on complex and really scared to lay into it!

Previously ran e50 PTF for a couple years...guess it was payback time for flogging it every day.

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 10:57 PM   #96
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance
Quote:

Wait I must be misunderstanding this or something are you saying upgraded downpipes really don't give us any extra hp ?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 11:59 PM   #97
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Right on and very interesting re the lack of power gain!

Thankfully I am dci, cp, fmic, walbro inline. I'll give it a go. Just flashed the stage 1+fmic 91 and it is a nice bump from stock. I'm ultra gunshy as I'm the last 6 months I have had to replace the entire engime due to cracked #2 piston, new injectors, DME and a load of other shit. 2015 was not a good year for my 335. My engine failure and the DME happened on the literally the same exact spot on a road right by my house...i will never go that way home again. I have a full-on complex and really scared to lay into it!

Previously ran e50 PTF for a couple years...guess it was payback time for flogging it every day.

Thanks for the info.
Funny, no one ever talks about PTF blowing motors. LMAO I thought I was the only one who blew motors on this platform. hahaha Oh wait, those were both JB4 cars.

Could have been a number of things that lead up to the failure. I had a car last year blow a hole through a piston when an injector failed. All the other cylinders looked fine accept for that one.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 12:10 AM   #98
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485 View Post
Wait I must be misunderstanding this or something are you saying upgraded downpipes really don't give us any extra hp ?
Did anyone ever post any real world numbers to support gains? We are talking stock turbos here with regard to downpipes.

We need to re-write the standards here for FBO.

Before anyone tries to call BS because you read it somewhere at some point in time, but can't remember when or where... I also put down 650 whp on stock catback. Normally with a restriction, you see power tail off. My power was still climbing, but my transmission shifted at 6800 rpm. That alone tells me there is more there.

So do I think DPs are required for stock turbos? No...
Appreciate 4
OlliD28.50
      02-29-2016, 01:34 AM   #99
C.Pop
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Did anyone ever post any real world numbers to support gains? We are talking stock turbos here with regard to downpipes.

Before anyone tries to call BS because you read it somewhere at some point in time, but can't remember when or where... I also put down 650 whp on stock catback. Normally with a restriction, you see power tail off. My power was still climbing, but my transmission shifted at 6800 rpm. That alone tells me there is more there.

About 5 almost 6 years ago Bren of Brentuning gave me a custom e50 map for my car setup with stock dp's. I left that tune on when I swapped out for some "non bottleneck" dp's. I heard a difference for sure, but Virtual Dyno told me I didn't gain a ton -about 15 whp or so. It wasn't the big deal I had hoped it would be.

My findings with stock E90 exhaust vs. Corsa 3.5" were similar, but my data is somewhat flawed because at the time I had upgraded turbos but stock turbo inlets. Knowing that handicap, and Bren targetting a power curve that was very smooth through 7200 rpm (i.e. not a huge mountain of power with no reason to rev past 6k), going to the Corsa exhaust netted me about 15 whp over just dp's. I'm very sure the difference would have been more had I installed my turbo inlets earlier (made ~70 whp more at redline after the inlets, no tune change) but that's all the data I have concerning it at the moment.
      02-29-2016, 08:32 AM   #100
V8bait
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt

Quote:
Funny, no one ever talks about PTF blowing motors. LMAO I thought I was the only one who blew motors on this platform. hahaha Oh wait, those were both JB4 cars.

Could have been a number of things that lead up to the failure. I had a car last year blow a hole through a piston when an injector failed. All the other cylinders looked fine accept for that one.
Motors are not indestructible and the dme doesn't always save you, PTF JB4 not excluded at all. That's the precise reason I lobby for rational tunes, and tear into some of the more questionable practices that are either dangerous or generally not worth the added stress. People pushing the engine to the edge with stock turbos often leads to failures.

As for downpipes, I wasn't ever impressed with the power gain but I did notice improved spool and more consistency pull to pull. I think he misinterpreted his results a little anyway, he measured identical logs/times/wgdc but made less boost. I've said it before and I'll say it again, downpipes increase engine VE and allow the motor to make the same power at less boost but the turbo still works just as hard. It's not like an intercooler that reduces pressure drop since downpipes after the turbine.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #101
Varjo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i 6MT & ZSP

Quote:

Interesting, so do you think a FMIC alone (otherwise stock) is enough to run stage 2fmic maps?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #102
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varjo View Post
Interesting, so do you think a FMIC alone (otherwise stock) is enough to run stage 2fmic maps?
I'm running the E40 on my car with the stock FMIC, stock DPs, and a drop in K&N. I have a new FMIC to install, but it's still cool here and I don't go out and do multi gear pulls to cause IATs to go out of control. I also don't reduce the stock tables which pulls timing if IATs do get to high.

FMIC is a recommendation, DPs are a recommendation... Recommendations. Not requirements. Bottom line, use your best judgement.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 04:42 PM   #103
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8bait View Post
Motors are not indestructible and the dme doesn't always save you, PTF JB4 not excluded at all. That's the precise reason I lobby for rational tunes, and tear into some of the more questionable practices that are either dangerous or generally not worth the added stress. People pushing the engine to the edge with stock turbos often leads to failures.

As for downpipes, I wasn't ever impressed with the power gain but I did notice improved spool and more consistency pull to pull. I think he misinterpreted his results a little anyway, he measured identical logs/times/wgdc but made less boost. I've said it before and I'll say it again, downpipes increase engine VE and allow the motor to make the same power at less boost but the turbo still works just as hard. It's not like an intercooler that reduces pressure drop since downpipes after the turbine.
I agree.. Any time you turn up the power you increase risk. Regardless of how you do it.

I agree that DPs can play a role in increased performance as turbos rely on that pressure drop to maximize efficiency.

I agree DPs can have an impact on Engine VE, but I don't think it has a big impact on most stock turbo applications. If someone is wanting to push the limits of their stock turbos or upgrade to hybrid turbos, DPs should be a requirement.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #104
Varjo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i 6MT & ZSP

Quote:
I'm running the E40 on my car with the stock FMIC, stock DPs, and a drop in K&N. I have a new FMIC to install, but it's still cool here and I don't go out and do multi gear pulls to cause IATs to go out of control. I also don't reduce the stock tables which pulls timing if IATs do get to high.

FMIC is a recommendation, DPs are a recommendation... Recommendations. Not requirements. Bottom line, use your best judgement.
Interesting, thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #105
dreyo27
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Any updates on the e40 DYNO?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 10:01 PM   #106
Aqid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

Little off topic but I didn't want to open a new topic as there is a lot of e85 / MHD discussion going on in this post. I was browsing Google for some Ethanol calculators since I wanted to see how many gallons I needed to create e20, e30 etc. When I select 10 gallons of 91 e0 and 4 gallons of e85 according to the calculator it turns into roughly e25. But it also shows that the octane rating would be 95. Does that mean one could run the oct93 flash? Or does it not work that way? Sorry I'm new to all this so I'm just curious. So far I haven't found any actual 93 in my little town.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #107
cochran
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i (E90)

Quote:

Can you add a FMIC to a 335i that isn't sports package and doesn't already have the stock IC?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 11:42 PM   #108
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochran View Post
Can you add a FMIC to a 335i that isn't sports package and doesn't already have the stock IC?
All 335 have intercoolers.

You're confusing it with the oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #109
MHD Tuning
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3F80#M5F90#340iF31#SupraA90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqid View Post
Little off topic but I didn't want to open a new topic as there is a lot of e85 / MHD discussion going on in this post. I was browsing Google for some Ethanol calculators since I wanted to see how many gallons I needed to create e20, e30 etc. When I select 10 gallons of 91 e0 and 4 gallons of e85 according to the calculator it turns into roughly e25. But it also shows that the octane rating would be 95. Does that mean one could run the oct93 flash? Or does it not work that way? Sorry I'm new to all this so I'm just curious. So far I haven't found any actual 93 in my little town.
Yes, and v6 maps are even having a 95 octane variant.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #110
=C=
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i M-Sport E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
No cat-less downpipes for me. I like to breathe clean air ;-). I considered doing a stock pull as well, but it takes time to flash back to stock and I didn't want to eat up dyno time. I'm pretty happy with these numbers - a bit more fine tuning and perhaps a custom tune down the road to nudge a bot more out of pump gas and catted downpipes.

What's the point of doing a dyno tune if you don't do a dyno of stock in order to compare the results?

You said in OP it's a great bang for buck, but you don't know what you ran stock so how can you tell....
Appreciate 0