Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin PSS from Costco not the same as that sold by Michelin Dealers?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #1
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Michelin PSS from Costco not the same as that sold by Michelin Dealers?

So I ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sports from Costco and when they came in the shop manager calls me to tell me that they won't install non runflats on a car that came with them OEM. This is a major headache because now I have to go get them and take them somewhere else to be installed.

As I start calling installers and telling my story, 2 separate shops give me shit about buying Michelins from Costco claiming that the tires are different than those sold at any other Michelin dealer and are inferior. One shop claimed they are BFG's rebranded as Michelins and said the sku#s are different. I don't believe the first part of that but it turns out the SKU's ARE different. Anyone have any idea why this is or hear of this before? I find it had to believe that Michelin would sell a lesser quality PSS flaghip to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Lot of bs there.
1) if it says Michelin on the side, it's a Michelin tire. Trademark infringement is a very serious no-no.
2) likely what the shops mean is that it's not a Starred BMW OEM tire (BMW oem tires have a star on them, if you didn't know.) All it means is that it's slightly different from the OEM. (I have no idea about the actual differences; they're sure to be so slight it won't matter.)
3) bs from your Costco, too. I ordered a set of Bridgestone WS80 go-flats from the Issaquah Costco today for my 335d (sale for $70 off - they're next year's winter tires), and yeah they asked if I had TPMS in the rims, but they didn't care other than that.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #3
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
So I ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sports from Costco and when they came in the shop manager calls me to tell me that they won't install non runflats on a car that came with them OEM. This is a major headache because now I have to go get them and take them somewhere else to be installed.

As I start calling installers and telling my story, 2 separate shops give me shit about buying Michelins from Costco claiming that the tires are different than those sold at any other Michelin dealer and are inferior. One shop claimed they are BFG's rebranded as Michelins and said the sku#s are different. I don't believe the first part of that but it turns out the SKU's ARE different. Anyone have any idea why this is or hear of this before? I find it had to believe that Michelin would sell a lesser quality PSS flaghip to anyone.
SKU is different just because it's Costco.
They do not make a lesser tire for Costco.

They are giving you crap because you got them cheaper than they sell them.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
Murf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post

Lol yes I understand their motivation for giving me a hard time but the SKUS should be the same across the same merchandise. I googled this question and there's some heated debates on the Internet about it, just wondered if anyone knew why they were not the same.

And yes, my local Costco is full of it, they are claiming they can't do it for liability issues. Going to cost me more than double for a different installer.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Agreed.

If they won't touch the car because it came with run flats, take your wheels off, pop out the center caps, and just take the wheels in and tell 'em they're off of a ford windstar or something lol

If that doesn't work, go get the list of installers off of TireRack that have already given price quotes to do this exact work.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 01:35 AM   #6
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Yes, find a TireRack installer. They have no issues mounting tires that were not sold by the shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 04:15 AM   #7
k335d
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d

They tried the same crap here where i live. What i did was take my wheels off myself and then had them mount the tires on my loose wheels. That way they are not putting them on the car and can't say anything.
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
ians
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i 6MT, 04 TSX 6MT

I dunno about tire but I did work for a company which is also a costco supplier. Costco business logic is they buying a big truck load of defeated products that any other resellers not willing to take(not passing QC). So that's why the model#/sku# are different than you find from usual store. So I avoid buying any electronics from Costco
      03-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #9
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

Quote:

Exactly

Many brands make a special sku for costco items, so they don't have issues with other distributors getting pissed off about having to price match.

Happens with their tvs all the time. Same brand, same tv specs, different sku at Costco vs best buy
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Was explained to me by our tire rep, there are basically three levels of tires. They are built the same, and then go through 12 or 13 different quality checks. The best ones that pass all the tests go to the car manufacturers for cars on the assembly line. Next level that pass most of the tests go to the tire companies authorised retailers, like Tirerack or wholesalers, who in turn either sell to the public or dealerships. The ones that are "good enough" passing only some of the quality tests go to places like Costco.

So yes, it is the same tire, but it is not the same quality.

I will never buy tires from Costco, or for the other Canadians of the forum, from Canadian Tire.

I believe Michelin puts an X in the tire DOT to denote a tire that is sold to third parties, and Michelin will not directly warranty these tires. We can not send Costco Michelin tires back to our wholesale tire supplier for warranty issues.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 03-04-2016 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
Volasko696.00
      03-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #11
Murf
Captain
Rep

Yeah, with some digging my understanding is that the warranty needs to be covered by Costco initially and that if I am not happy with Costco warranty service then Michelin will cover it.

BTW when I called Michelin and asked them and they adamantly denied that the tires sold at Costco are different in any way from tires sold elsewhere other than the warranty process.

Just passing along my experiences...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #12
h4bs
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 328i xdrive

My Costco has a 50,000km warranty on PSS. 80,000km on Pirelli P Zero. Good enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #13
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Sounds like the Costco RFT policy differs by location or individual.

I burn through 2 - 3 sets of performance tires per summer on the track. I took time to cultivate a relationship with the local Costco tire manager, because I knew that I would be working with him frequently. He's never let me down, replacing some tires under warranty, swapping different rims, etc.

Additionally, Costco is Class A. I've met Jim Senegal (founder / CEO) through various good works. He's always impressed me as an ethical businessman, and his company reflects this by giving back to the community and standing behind what they sell.
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #14
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

It's straight BS. I used to work for a tire delivery company, and Costco got the exact same tires as everyone else (Walmart, small shops, dealerships, you name it). We didn't have a special section for just Costco or Walmart...despite popular belief.