E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Euro Halogen Lights Retrofit Help Please!

04-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
E90X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport Wagon

Euro Halogen Lights Retrofit Help Please!

I have been looking for a set of lights to remove the amber corners as well as add angel eyes to my 08 with factory halogens. I don't have much interest in doing the full xenon conversion at the moment as I can't quite justify the costs involved. I stumbled across these Headlights and they look to be exactly what I'm looking for at a perfect price point. Only issue is "Reamark: For vehicles with headlight levelling (electric). With servo motor for LDR. "

To my knowledge my headlamps on my pre-lci have manual adjusters only. I do not have an adjust wheel on my headlamp selector. I know the lights will obviously will fit in the whole and light up. My question is, how will I align and level the lights? Will I throw codes / need coding? Can I just never use the extra bits of electronics and finally not have to look at those ugly amber corners on my silver car?

Last edited by E90X; 04-15-2013 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90X View Post
I have been looking for a set of lights to remove the amber corners as well as add angel eyes to my 08 with factory halogens. I don't have much interest in doing the full xenon conversion at the moment as I can't quite justify the costs involved. I stumbled across these Headlights and they look to be exactly what I'm looking for at a perfect price point. Only issue is "Reamark: For vehicles with headlight levelling (electric). With servo motor for LDR. "

To my knowledge my headlamps on my pre-lci have manual adjusters only. I do not have an adjust wheel on my headlamp selector. I know the lights will obviously will fit in the whole and light up. My question is, how will I align and level the lights? Will I throw codes / need coding? Can I just never use the extra bits of electronics and finally not have to look at those ugly amber corners on my silver car?
First of all, the below experiences are mine and may be different for you and your specific vehicle.

I bought a pair of LCI halogens a couple months ago, and mine were shipped from England. According to the fellow I bought them from, the Euro halogens have the electronic leveling that you mentioned (which is controlled by a button/scroll button near the headlight switch in the Euro cars). When I bought mine I noticed the motor in the back of the housing, which is why I found out about this. My car does not have the electronic feature like the Euros do, and everything was still plug and play (no errors). I plugged them in and everything worked and I have never had a problem with the lights. You should have any issues with it.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
E90X
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd8ksn View Post
My car does not have the electronic feature like the Euros do, and everything was still plug and play (no errors). I plugged them in and everything worked and I have never had a problem with the lights. You should have any issues with it.
Thanks for the reply, helps tremendously. How is the light pattern / cutoff? Is there still a way to manually adjust them or did you lose this ability with the new light? Did the AEs work without issue as well?

I wonder if there is a way to buy the euro light switch and get the electronic adjusters to work, not to mention rear fogs...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, helps tremendously. How is the light pattern / cutoff? Is there still a way to manually adjust them or did you lose this ability with the new light? Did the AEs work without issue as well?

I wonder if there is a way to buy the euro light switch and get the electronic adjusters to work, not to mention rear fogs...
The cutoff isn't bad. It could just be my lights, but I feel like the cutoff is at an angle for both lights. And yes, you can still manually adjust them with a screwdriver or allen wrench. The AEs worked great, too. I did install the Daeos harness to allow the AEs to run as DRLs. If you have an FRM2 on your car you could probably just code it in. The harness was a pretty easy and cheap ($60) solution.

I don't know about the euro switch. It would depend on if the wiring is there or not. If the wiring is there I would think it would be p&p.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
E90X
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The cutoff isn't bad. It could just be my lights, but I feel like the cutoff is at an angle for both lights. And yes, you can still manually adjust them with a screwdriver or allen wrench. The AEs worked great, too. I did install the Daeos harness to allow the AEs to run as DRLs.
Awesome! Great to hear. So the cutoff is different than your originals? Did the AEs work with just parking lights by chance? Thanks for your replies. I still need to buy a coding cable. Just worried what my computer engineer roomate is going to do to my car once it's in his possession... I'll probably get in my car one day and have it ask about missile launch.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! Great to hear. So the cutoff is different than your originals? Did the AEs work with just parking lights by chance? Thanks for your replies. I still need to buy a coding cable. Just worried what my computer engineer roomate is going to do to my car once it's in his possession... I'll probably get in my car one day and have it ask about missile launch.
I feel like they are a bit more defined, but they are at more of an angle. I think that is just my lights, though. The cutoff is still not anything like a HID.

The AEs do work by parking lights, but the orange parking lights come on in addition. You could get this coded out, though (corner delete).

I haven't done any coding myself, but I've heard it's easy to DIY. Might be worth checking into so you can avoid any surprises.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
E90X
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I feel like they are a bit more defined, but they are at more of an angle. I think that is just my lights, though. The cutoff is still not anything like a HID.

The AEs do work by parking lights, but the orange parking lights come on in addition. You could get this coded out, though (corner delete).

I haven't done any coding myself, but I've heard it's easy to DIY. Might be worth checking into so you can avoid any surprises.

Thanks for all the help

Now to find a cheap coding cable...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the help