E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Coilover install: What's the proper washer order? (concave washer)

05-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Coilover install: What's the proper washer order? (concave washer)

I wanted to confirm what the correct orientation of washers is for FK Silverline coilovers.

Washers:
A) There is the OEM washer (pictured below) aka concave washer
B) There is the flat washer supplied by FK with the coils (shown below)

What is the proper way to orient these?
1) Remove OEM washer, use the FK supplied washer only
2) Remove FK supplied washer, re-use the OEM washer
3) Add the OEM washer on top of the FK supplied washer
4) other?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

OK I'll bite, where exactly is the that washer located? Front or rear? Spring or shock in the rear (what I'm guessing your referring to???). Front strut top hat assembly?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

that washer goes directly under the guide support (upper strut mount) - flat side down, and the black stripe facing UP.

that oem washer has a rise in the center compared to the edges. You need a rise in the center so that the bottom of the guide support doesn't rub against the spring plate, and bind up your steering.

Since the FK upper spring plate is different (flat), their supplied washer may be just fine, and keep the upper guide support from rubbing on the spring plate when the wheels turn. but I'd check the instructions, and at least test fit the guide support and see if it rubs when turned. If it rubs, use the OEM washer.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
that washer goes directly under the guide support (upper strut mount) - flat side down, and the black stripe facing UP.

that oem washer has a rise in the center compared to the edges. You need a rise in the center so that the bottom of the guide support doesn't rub against the spring plate, and bind up your steering.

Since the FK upper spring plate is different (flat), their supplied washer may be just fine, and keep the upper guide support from rubbing on the spring plate when the wheels turn. but I'd check the instructions, and at least test fit the guide support and see if it rubs when turned. If it rubs, use the OEM washer.

The FK's came with no instructions unfortunately so that's why I'm not really sure if I should re-use the oem washer or use the flat one provided.

The first time I had them installed a long time ago I had a shop do the install and I had a popping sound coming from the drivers side when turning the steering. When I met up with a buddy to have him look while I turned my wheel to see if my springs were binding he said they are so I opened things up in my garage and saw that the oem washer wasn't re-used and the flat FK washer was what sat under the guide support.

I also had a clunk on my drivers side (not endlinks) and I saw another thread where someone mentioned they switched to the OEM washer and a new guide support and the clunking went away. They said their bearings were shot because they never re-used the OEM washers. I'd rather be sure of what the proper install method is so I don't just start throwing parts at the car every week trying to solve the issue.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
To add to that a couple days ago I was bored so I removed the FK washer and added the OEM on the drivers side and the clunking didn't go away, but the steering seemed slightly more fluid, but it could be unrelated to the washer since I did add some more toe-out at the same time.

Basically I'm annoyed of ripping things apart and buttoning them up over and over in my garage so I'd like to take a more methodotical approach into narrowing down what it could be and having the proper washer orientation would be a good start haha.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid For Life View Post
OK I'll bite, where exactly is the that washer located? Front or rear? Spring or shock in the rear (what I'm guessing your referring to???). Front strut top hat assembly?

Located in the front, it sits between the spring plate and the guide support aka upper strut mount. It sits below the little dust cap thingy of the guide support.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]

13:30

Thats how i installed my coils, just remember to use the FK spring plate!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
13:30

Thats how i installed my coils, just remember to use the FK spring plate!

So you discarded the washer that came with the coilovers?

I have one side as shown in the video and one side using the FK washer (spacer place) instead of the OEM washer (spacer plate), both sides seem to "work", but I can't find a conclusive answer as to what the correct or best orientation would be.

FK's support email is useless as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
So you discarded the washer that came with the coilovers?

I have one side as shown in the video and one side using the FK washer (spacer place) instead of the OEM washer (spacer plate), both sides seem to "work", but I can't find a conclusive answer as to what the correct or best orientation would be.

FK's support email is useless as well.
yeah, i discarded it and used the oem one. no issues with that set-up! i can understand your frustration redoing suspension work lol pain in the butt.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #10
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
To add to that a couple days ago I was bored so I removed the FK washer and added the OEM on the drivers side and the clunking didn't go away, but the steering seemed slightly more fluid, but it could be unrelated to the washer since I did add some more toe-out at the same time.

Basically I'm annoyed of ripping things apart and buttoning them up over and over in my garage so I'd like to take a more methodotical approach into narrowing down what it could be and having the proper washer orientation would be a good start haha.

Thanks for your help!
How many miles do you have total on the new FK's.

When I installed my BC's I noticed a very slight clunking noise when I would go over bumps for about the first 40 miles I drove the car, now that has gone away, the only noise now is my tires rubbing on my fenders, but that's completely unrelated to the coils.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 02:42 AM   #11
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
yeah, i discarded it and used the oem one. no issues with that set-up! i can understand your frustration redoing suspension work lol pain in the butt.
Yeah man, beyond frustrated with this shit haha, I open things up and think I found the problem every weekend only to have it all come back.

Thanks for the help, I'm gonna switch out my passenger side to the OEM washer and see if it at least helps with the binding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid For Life View Post
How many miles do you have total on the new FK's.

When I installed my BC's I noticed a very slight clunking noise when I would go over bumps for about the first 40 miles I drove the car, now that has gone away, the only noise now is my tires rubbing on my fenders, but that's completely unrelated to the coils.
I've had them installed for a longgg longgg time.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #12
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328i

I just had FK's installed and I used both washers. FK washer right above spring plate, then OEM washer that has a black ring facing the strut mount.

Steering DOES feel a little fluid compared to stock, but no noises..
Appreciate 0