E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Hot Hatch...help needed

05-31-2011, 03:39 AM   #23
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Megane and Clio seem attractive but once you have sat in one the build quality really is off putting.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 03:45 AM   #24
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Megane and Clio seem attractive but once you have sat in one the build quality really is off putting.
Its more about the drive with me, you're talking to a man who had a MK1 Lotus Elise! so interior spec is by the by.

All reports that the R26 is a real hoot in the driving dept.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 04:38 AM   #25
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Another shout for the MK5 GTi. I'd go for one with DSG and think about remap of the box as well as the engine.

I also like the Leon Cupra R as it's a bit different and arguably looks nicer than the Golf, especially the K1 model.

No experience of the R26 but have never been a Renault fan. A friend bought a Clio F1 as a fun car a few years back. It was fun but he never kept it long as the build quality convinced him he was going to die in it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:23 AM   #26
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Hi mate,

If your budget is 10k, you'll be looking at something like a 2007 GTI.

Edition 30's, Pirelli's and R32's are still 13k minimum. I wouldn't reccomend an R32 anyway as they are too heavy, thirsty and underpowered. More like a mini GT.

The main difference between GTI's and the ED30 or other special editions is what you plan to do with it. ED30's have the larger KO4 turbo than the GTI (KO3) as well as a few other Audi S3 engine parts, so they modify up to 300 ish bhp with a map, or 350-370 with Stage 2+ parts.

The GTI will make ED30 power (230 bhp) with a remap, so if that's all you need then your laughing!

Spec and gearbox wise... I've had both and I prefer the DSG, though I can tell why the manual is preferred by many. My manual was whiney, which is apparently common whilst many say the DSG is troublesome and expensive to fix. I can't say much more, but I'd say try both before you buy.

Sat nav/Bluetooth etc is nice, but on early cars not essential as the older versions are pants. If there IS sat nav on offer, don't bust a gut for it UNLESS its an RNS510. That's got a hard drive for music and maps and is very expandable with ipods, Bluetooth, tv functions and so on. Leather is nice as is heated seats, but neither is so common you should make it 'must have.' 18's are a must really, as the 17's are awful!

Drive wise, all engines and gearboxes are fun, but Golfs understeer a bit. Mine has an LSD and soon an anti-roll bar and antilift kit.... All help and I'll let you know how the ARB/ALK work out - only cost 320 for the pair.

You'll find plenty of torque low down, giving way to a nice revvy top end which will tail off by about 6000 rpm. A remap will help that and should give you a bigger powerband. You have a company called Awesome GTI not far off, they sell all the above parts I've mentioned including REVO remaps which are one of the most popular.

To be honest I love my Golf now. I like the fact that miss are cheap and there is no complicated idrive etc. I like that everyone loves a Golf and that it never offends or amazes, until I put my foot down and rip more expensive cars a new one! It's comfy and quiet, but 95% of a 'better' sportscar when the road allows.

Honestly, I love the R26 too.... But with no oem Bluetooth, nav, heated seats, etc etc you might just find it a bit basic. I did - though its a slightly better drive than the Golf when standard.

Hope that helps and if you make it to NM4 I'll be happy to chat and take you out in mine etc.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:36 AM   #27
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

As per PM, Thanks Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:58 AM   #28
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

No probs mate. Thought it was worth posting the info lol!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 06:07 AM   #29
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need more space

max return, i would say a well spec'd cooper s or a mk4 R32