E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida > Bert Smith Service mod friendly?

03-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Bert Smith Service mod friendly?

Does anyone have any experience with Bert Smith's service dept. regarding mods? Not so much regarding a tune but with exhaust, suspension, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
ManyMoonsAgo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Bert Smith is my local dealer and where I purchased my 335i. In five and a half years of ownership, I have been to their service department 5 times and never had any issue with them. To be fair, I have never had a warranty claim with them through the years though.

My water pump failed out of warranty, and they performed the HPFP/Injector recall on my car when I brought it in for its 'every two year free brake fluid service'.

Based off conversations I have had with my service advisor at Bert, I believe they are more concerned over ECU tunes than anything else. Suspension and exhaust mods I think will go unnoticed by them.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
reelop19
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. I think thats what its called/how its spelled. Anywho, unless your mods fcuked up your car they have to fix it under warranty
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by imola20th View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Bert Smith's service dept. regarding mods? Not so much regarding a tune but with exhaust, suspension, etc.?
I have gone in with suspension and exhaust and had no issues. Now if your engine blew up and you were FBO running meth they would probably question you. Ask to work with Matt Sanford.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Thanks. I've used Reeves for my past two 335i's. Getting a 335is through Bert Smith this time since they're very close to me and they matched Reeves price.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Glopez5
First Lieutenant
Honduras
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelop19 View Post
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. I think thats what its called/how its spelled. Anywho, unless your mods fcuked up your car they have to fix it under warranty

ehhh, technically they don't have to fix it, they can just cancel your warranty and give you your money back or if you have used warranty they just issue you back your money minus w/e they have spent on warranty work in the past..

From my experience, long story short, I had an RSX w/ only an intake, megan coilovers, rear camber kit and 18'' wheels. Ferman Acura was cool about it, they said the mods were minor. All service advisers were really nice to me. But, once my transmission went out, they through me under the bus to my extended warranty people saying my car was heavily modified and they should have flagged it earlier. They put blame on my tranny going out on me having 18'' wheels instead of factory 17'' rims. They told that to my extended warranty, I tried to fight it but in the end they voided my warranty. I then ended up buying a used transmission from junkyard of a car w/ low miles, did the work in my garage after another shop fucked up my tranny casing. It actually was fairly easy.

Point of my story, don't trust your dealer i don't care who it is try to bring it in as close to stock as possible.

Also, one of those ferman advisers that was all cool and friendly is now working at Reeves Tampa, his name is Jonathan. I'm steering clear of him...

07 E92 335i -BSM- Sport- iDrive- Premium- Cold Weather- Aero Lip- M3 Trunk Lip- Injen Dual Cone- Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads- R1 Premium Cross Drilled Rotors- H&R Sport -JB4+Ethonal- - Raceland DPs - Avant Garde M310- Alpine TypeR 10''- Alpine MRP-M500 Amp

Last edited by Glopez5; 03-22-2013 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0