E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Opinions needed: '09 R8 vs '10 911 C4S

04-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #45
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

R8. Not as common.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #46
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Well, he pulled the trigger. New C4S. It's a very nice car, drove it today. The PDK is amazingly quick. He was quite happy to get rid of the GT3 and have something to drive all year. We have 2 dedicated race cars already (one street-legal and one not), so he still has a track car when he wants one. Its not nearly as sharp or responsive as the GT3, but wasn't expecting it to be. It's quite comfortable on the terrible chicago roads. Should be a nice daily for him and my mom to use all year round. Was a little disappointed he didn't go for something a little crazier, but they gave him the car a couple thousand under invoice and a ridiculous lease rate, so all in all it seems to be a pretty damn good deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #47
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben14142001 View Post
Well, he pulled the trigger. New C4S. It's a very nice car, drove it today. The PDK is amazingly quick. He was quite happy to get rid of the GT3 and have something to drive all year. We have 2 dedicated race cars already (one street-legal and one not), so he still has a track car when he wants one. Its not nearly as sharp or responsive as the GT3, but wasn't expecting it to be. It's quite comfortable on the terrible chicago roads. Should be a nice daily for him and my mom to use all year round. Was a little disappointed he didn't go for something a little crazier, but they gave him the car a couple thousand under invoice and a ridiculous lease rate, so all in all it seems to be a pretty damn good deal.
The C4S actually handles pretty good. Most will agree the worst handling car in the lineup is the turbo. It is fast as hell though.

C4S is a great choice. Lucky guy!
      04-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #48
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Unfortunately, the porsche is a better driver's car...but:

1. Porsche is ugly and is less exclusive (For now) than the R8...due R8's pricing...R8 is not unattainable...its only a 100 000 K car...someone earning 350 - 500 should be able to easily afford it. Lots of those ppl in the US

2. R8 probably doesn't drive half as nice as the porsche (why C4S tho...get the rear drive)...R8 has the downside of being a 4 wheel drive car...not as fun feeling as rear drive; you don't get that nice push in curves.

3. Porsche is probably more realible...why would you lease a car in chicago? You can't drive the porsche for 1/2 the year in winter. Buy.

4. I'd go with R8...though I haven't driven one, the porsche I drove was amazing, even though its weight dynamics were rear heavy. R8 because it looks nice and has status...and is a bit of a driver's car.

buy it new. Its like a 20 K price difference.

Edit: +1 on R8's mid engine design...weight balance.

Normally I completely dislike AUdi's...overpriced VW with little status. The R8 though is based on lambo...different ball game.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #49
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben14142001 View Post
No s&it? Did he get what he wanted on the GT3 trade?

If so, let me do this again.

Colors?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #50
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post

1. Porsche is ugly and is less exclusive (For now) than the R8...due R8's pricing...R8 is not unattainable...its only a 100 000 K car...someone earning 350 - 500 should be able to easily afford it. Lots of those ppl in the US

2. R8 probably doesn't drive half as nice as the porsche (why C4S tho...get the rear drive)...R8 has the downside of being a 4 wheel drive car...not as fun feeling as rear drive; you don't get that nice push in curves.

3. Porsche is probably more realible...why would you lease a car in chicago? You can't drive the porsche for 1/2 the year in winter. Buy.
4. I'd go with R8...though I haven't driven one, the porsche I drove was amazing, even though its weight dynamics were rear heavy. R8 because it looks nice and has status...and is a bit of a driver's car.

Normally I completely dislike AUdi's...overpriced VW with little status. The R8 though is based on lambo...different ball game.

Wha?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #51
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Considering the R8 is regarding around the world by the professionals as one of the best driving car I wonder how you came to that conclusion, have you got information that we are lacking?

Quote:
I can't comment on most of this apart from looks are a personal thing and though I agree that the R8 is the prettier this again is only my opinion.

Quote:
Again this is the opposite to my own personal experience and almost everyone I know but the fact you haven't driven each makes your assumption only that. Also the R8 due to it's weight distribution and the way it's awd system distributes the power actually makes it one of the most fun cars to drive, extremely playful and extremely controllable, not two words that spring to mind at the limit in a Porsche but then some might look for that difficultly and see that as a bonus.

Quote:
You might be right on this one, Porsche historically are very reliable, even though I know that the R8 should be very good in this too.

Quote:
The C4S (the latest one) is probably the sweetest of all the normal 911s to drive, but until you go to a Turbo, GT3 or higher they don't shout supercar at you, this is the one area that even the ordinary R8v8 has the Porsche beaten, there is a sense of occasion when driven one that few cars better.

Quote:

Audis aren't overpriced VW with little status, at least that isn't the opinion else where in the world, the very fact that only the A3 it's most basic model shares much in common shows that this opinion has little to do with reality. The same is true about the R8 being based on a Lamborghini, since the Gallardo was a Audi design and uses almost all of their technical know how in it's execution one could equally say that the Gallardo was more an Audi than a Lamborghini.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #52
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

My dad just got his C4S. 2010.

AWESSSSSOMMMMMMMEEEE car

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #53
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

^Nice car! Ours is black on black. Apparently Porsche wanted to sell 911's in the first quarter of 2010, so they took 15k off everything they had in stock and got a ridiculous lease rate as well. Basically, this was what they had in stock that fit what he was looking for, he generally prefers the RWD 911's, but I've heard good things about the updated all-wheel drive in the new 911's.

@TheRox: He leases because he always likes to lease one car, something about tax write-offs, not sure of the details. And an R8 is not a 100k car. They start at 115k and you're lucky to find one for under 130k, at least around here. Dealers don't like to deal on them because they are so rare. Our C4S came in under 100, leaving a 30k difference between our C4S a new R8. He didn't want a used R8 for various reasons.
Appreciate 0