E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Got a ticket a week ago

08-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #23
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
^^ LOL. Eyes and ears calibrated? Please don't do that unless you discover the cop was wrong about one or more things, and you can prove it. For example, if the tint or exhaust actually is legal. Otherwise, you aren't ripping the guy to shreds, you're just making an ass of yourself.
      08-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #24
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbojangles View Post
I finally did some mods to my car (which ill post tonight.. after a wash).. So i was exiting a parking lot on Devonshire and decided to punch it. I recently changed my exhaust system.. custom straight pipes.. i wanted to hear how it would sound while the air was cold. Right when i hit the gas i see a cop, i Slow down but i noticed that the cop had already made a U-Turn. He Pulls me over in a spot where it was dangerous for two cars to be. So i pull into a parking lot, where it would be safer for the both of us. Next thing i know the two cops are yelling and holding out their guns. lol. so I just stop where i was, turn off my car and wait for the cop to slam me with a speeding ticket. He searched my car.. and at the end i get a ticket for no front plates. Tints. and loud exhaust system. (all fix it's).. I dont know what im going to do about the exhaust system yet. but the other two will be easy to take care of. Thank god i didnt get a speeding ticket though.. fix-it's arent bad..
thats bs! la cops are crazy. they need to be watching out for drug dealers etc...not loud exhaust systems.
      08-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #25
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
thats bs! la cops are crazy. they need to be watching out for drug dealers etc...not loud exhaust systems.
Maybe most drug dealers in that area have cars with loud exhausts?
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #26
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

The race thing is absolutely true. I am not a targeted minority so generally I can drive around without a hitch.

I once lent a buddy of mine (who happens to be black) my BMW and he got pulled over 2x driving across the city. (1) Rear left tire crossed solid yellow on left turn (2) Changed lanes too quickly. I guess they expect a minority in a nice car must have stolen it! The ironic bit is that my friend is probably in the top 2% in terms of salary and has more ivy league degrees than I care to mention. You can't tell me he wasn't profiled!

About not allowing the cop to search your car: Wouldn't it just piss him off and cause him to screw you otherwise? You may get off without a search, but what if he was going to give you a warning but instead now decides to give you a ticket?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #27
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
I once lent a buddy of mine (who happens to be black) my BMW and he got pulled over 2x driving across the city. (1) Rear left tire crossed solid yellow on left turn (2) Changed lanes too quickly. I guess they expect a minority in a nice car must have stolen it! The ironic bit is that my friend is probably in the top 2% in terms of salary and has more ivy league degrees than I care to mention. You can't tell me he wasn't profiled!
Yes, or he was driving erratically.

As for the search thing, I would always say "no" to consent to search. Not that I have ever been asked, or ever expect to be asked. I have absolutely nothing to hide, but why the hell should I consent to a non-mandatory search? To allow the guy to mess up my nice, clean interior?
      08-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #28
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
^^ LOL. Eyes and ears calibrated? Please don't do that unless you discover the cop was wrong about one or more things, and you can prove it. For example, if the tint or exhaust actually is legal. Otherwise, you aren't ripping the guy to shreds, you're just making an ass of yourself.
You do not have to prove you were legal only show the officer has no proof or evidence to the fact on the ticket. In order to say the exhaust was too loud the officer must measure it, it has to be an objective measurement not subjective.

It goes something like this.

Officer - state he ticketed you for a loud exhaust.

You - follow up and say, "how did you determine the exhaust was too loud"

Officer - I heard it

You - Did you measure it

Officer - well kind of... Your honor, I know when exhaust was too loud

You - Officer, are you saying your hearing has been calibrated to measure sound to Statute such and such....

Officer - Well, not really but your honor I know it was too loud....

You - Officer, are you aware the Statute say that it must be over xx dba's

Officer - well, kind of, maybe I am not sure

You - Officer, are you saying you have no idea what the dba measurement of my exhaust is

Officer - well kinda of maybe not, Well judge it was loud that I am sure....

You - Your Honor I request a immediate dismissal since the officer is unreliable witness and is making statement of fact with no evidence to back it up.

This is what you do and never have to make any claims whether you were legal or not.

You might want throw in a few well place objections of "hearsay" and "Facts which are not in evidence" or "Lack Foundation" for good measure.

You can use the same argument for the tint since that too has to be measure and since you said it was night tint tends to be even darker at night

Last edited by Maestro; 08-09-2007 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 03:38 PM   #29
Maestro
Major
Rep

The best reason to never consent to a search of your car is, for the simple reason if you ever had someone else in your car and can you say with the same level of confidence as yourself that a person did not leave something behind in the car that would cause you a problem.

I had a buddy in high school who was practical joker and would do things that he thought was funny but in the ended would cause problems for others. I went for a job which required a security clearance and they asked me to list each and everyone person I associated with while in high school, so I listed him since they told me not to leave anyone out because if they find out that could be bad.

Well they called him and he thought it was funny to tell them all the stupid things we did and made a few things up for good measure. Oh they never ask him to tell them this stuff he offered it up on his own. Needless to say, I didn't get the job and they sighted I did not pass the clearance. Later I talk to my friend and he told me what he did. He was like oh you didn't want that job, plus it was funny.

Last edited by Maestro; 08-10-2007 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #30
Mrbojangles
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3- Melbourne RED-

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice..the tint and front lisence plate ticket is no probelem.. it should be around 20 $$ or so... now for the exhaust.. personally i wouldnt want to go with the hastle of fighting it.. I think im just going to pay for it.. because on the ticket it sais Non correctable. taking it off and putting the stock on then putting the after market on will cost me around the same price.. and next time i wont let them search my car
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 02:08 AM   #31
Mrbojangles
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3- Melbourne RED-

K guys, so I got the letter from the court telling me how much i have to pay.. ok im not really sure about one thing.Hopefully you guys can help me out.. if i pay for the ticket through online lets say.. do I still need to go to the marshall and show him my car? Or Once i pay im done with it?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 09:55 AM   #32
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbojangles View Post
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice..the tint and front lisence plate ticket is no probelem.. it should be around 20 $$ or so... now for the exhaust.. personally i wouldnt want to go with the hastle of fighting it.. I think im just going to pay for it.. because on the ticket it sais Non correctable. taking it off and putting the stock on then putting the after market on will cost me around the same price.. and next time i wont let them search my car
if it says non correctable, you can't fix it and pay a lesser fine
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #33
Maestro
Major
Rep

I personally never heard of a non-correctable fix-it ticket. By definition of Fix-it means you have to fix-it, it really sounds like the guy cut you some odd break. I would pay if you plan on doing so and do not worry about it. Unless your instructed to show up somewhere to show someone.

The last one I got, I had to bring the ticket to the court house with an officers signature on it to prove it was fixed, and did not have to pay. Well that was true as long as I did it in 10 days so they said.
Appreciate 0