E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Brake Pad shootout

01-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
rotarypower101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Brake Pad shootout

Is there a fairly comprehensive review of the different popular applicable brake pads and their attributes?

I am using EBC RED on a different car because of extensive user reviews specifically for my usage patterns on that specific vehicle and comparisons that go into some very detailed differentiation, is there anything like this for E9x?

I know what I am looking for, but have not read any compelling direct differentiation between the different options.

Interested in the Akebono, only because there is so much exposure here, but unsure how to compare them to other options as I find isolated reviews, having a difficult time getting the feel for how they compare or how to make a selection.

How did you determine which pads to replace with, whether OEM or aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

I based my decision solely on the reputation that Akebono brakes dramatically reduce brake dust. They do not have the initial bite of the OEM pads and require slightly firmer pressure. But I don't care. I don't have to clean my wheels every 3 days.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #3
rotarypower101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
I based my decision solely on the reputation that Akebono brakes dramatically reduce brake dust. They do not have the initial bite of the OEM pads and require slightly firmer pressure. But I don't care. I don't have to clean my wheels every 3 days.
I will be honest that is a large draw for me as well!
I read the dust they do create is supposedly more grey colored as well, so that dust it creates blends into the wheels more readily.

But it seems there are other options out there that would still have these attributes right?

The EBCs I got specifically because I had long term reports on compatibility with the rotors, estimates of wear, lack of any squeaking or squealing over time, bite point and pedal feel descriptions, good descriptions of the pads character under a wide range of driving conditions and even when being tormented on the track for an idea what they will react like if ever in a time of need.

I felt like I knew exactly what I was getting into, and what to expect, and if there was a variance that something was probably wrong or odd.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
bluescoupe
motorhead
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Since I enjoy and depend on the "bite" of the OEM pads, my bias would be toward OEM or similar. Performance is the key word in brakes for me.
I don't find brake dust an issue actually.
I do use Armorall wheel protectant on a semi-regular basis, but just cause I want the wheels to look clean.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

I have Akebono Euro ceramics and love them since there's virtually no dust, although, I wouldn't track my car with them since they don't "bite" like others do. But for a DD, they're awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Personally, I run AutoZone Duralast Gold's for all of my DD applications. You can't beat that lifetime warranty.

On my E90 I've found that they dust significantly less than OEM, even if they do have slightly less initial bite.
      01-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ
I have Akebono Euro ceramics and love them since there's virtually no dust, although, I wouldn't track my car with them since they don't "bite" like others do. But for a DD, they're awesome.
I track them with no issues
      01-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Personally, I run AutoZone Duralast Gold's for all of my DD applications. You can't beat that lifetime warranty.

On my E90 I've found that they dust significantly less than OEM, even if they do have slightly less initial bite.
How much were those?

I thought the lifetime warranty only covers if the pad some how fails. Not the wear and tear of the pad.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig13 View Post
I track them with no issues
Do they seem to perform better when they get heated up? Because I haven't actually beat the brakes up on these pads yet, so I'd like to hear your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #10
E90Graphite07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Lifetime warranty covers all wear/tear on brake pads (regardless what make/brand)... just get it down to near the end, pull'em out, show'em your old pads and your receipt, and onto the next set of free brake pads. I use Akebono Euro ceramics myself...been pleased with them.

Join us on Facebook:
E90Post - Houston
Houston BMW DIY Services
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #11
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Graphite07 View Post
Lifetime warranty covers all wear/tear on brake pads (regardless what make/brand)... just get it down to near the end, pull'em out, show'em your old pads and your receipt, and onto the next set of free brake pads. I use Akebono Euro ceramics myself...been pleased with them.
That is great. Wish I would have done that but I guess not that big of a deal. Pads usually last me 3 years +

How do the duralast golds compare to the Akebono?

I might put durlast golds on the back. Does it make difference to mix pads? I have hawks on the front
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #12
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

The initial "bite" of OEM pads is nice and all, but overall stopping distance is not as good with certain aftermarket brands that are designed for sportier driving. Although more sport-oriented brake pads may lack that initial bite and feel like they don't stop as quickly, they actually do give you an advantage of several feet, sometimes several yards vs the OEM. Also, they won't transfer to the rotors as readily as the OEMs do, causing that "warped" feeling we all know and dread.
Last but not least, brake pads designed for more intensive use tend not to fade as much as the OEMs.

Caveat: I am repeating pretty much by memory what a racing mechanic told me. If you don't drive aggressively, the OEMs are fantastic. If you do tend to drive aggressively, or take an hour out of your weekend to do some intense canyon carving, you will get brake pad transfer to your rotors and you will get brake fade. I've had my rotors replaced three times now because of it.
      01-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #13
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

I recently switched from OEM to Akebono and they are a huge improvement. The stopping ability is about the same, but these pads produce virtually no dust. After about 1200 miles on the new pads my wheels look as clean as they did after 20 miles with the OEM pads. They don't have that initial bite like the OEM ones do, but I like it better without. They are also less "sticky" than the OEM ones when releasing the brakes, which is a huge improvement. They are also affordable and don't squeal where my OEM pads would squeal when warmed up. I also replaced the rotors with the Akebono pads so they might be to blame for some of my observations.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #14
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender rodriguez View Post
How much were those?

I thought the lifetime warranty only covers if the pad some how fails. Not the wear and tear of the pad.
I want to say the fronts were ~$80 (ceramic) and the rears were ~$50 (semi-metallic). They don't offer ceramic rears.

And that's never been my experience. I've been using them for a little over a decade now and the process has always gone like this:

#1. Buy first set of pads, install and use up.
#2. Go buy replacement set, keep receipt.
#3. Perform brake change, keep old pads. I like to just put them right back in the boxes the new ones came in.
#4. Take olds pads and receipt to Autozone, get refund.

I can't speak to longevity since I've only been using them for a year or so (~10k miles) on this car, and I'm running slotted rotors which will decrease pad life, but so far so good.
      01-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #15
Indygiant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

I've been running power stop evolution ceramics. I'm pleased with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #16
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ View Post
Do they seem to perform better when they get heated up? Because I haven't actually beat the brakes up on these pads yet, so I'd like to hear your opinion.
I'm not sure. I've done two events with the same set of pads and rotors. The first event they were just installed and the second was two years later. I would say fade was minimal if any at all. I didn't feel unsafe at anytime with them.
      01-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #17
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 STX Advance

i got a set of Akebono Euro pads because...I worked there as an R&D engineer

but seriously, i was sick of having to wash my wheels a couple times a week with the OEM pads.
      01-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #18
thecooltype
drive to survive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540 XI

smh at ppl that went with less dust over performance. Yeah I clean my wheels everything weekend and it annoys me but I love that bite of the OEM brakes
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #19
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooltype View Post
smh at ppl that went with less dust over performance. Yeah I clean my wheels everything weekend and it annoys me but I love that bite of the OEM brakes
One member posted that he used the Alebonos on the track with no issue, and even then for daily driving there's absolutely no reason these could be any worse than OEM for braking. I also added they don't "bite" like the BMW pads, but I'm also not slamming on the brakes all the time to have that be an issue, and I'd assume there's plenty of other people in agreement.

I've had a couple instances where I had to hit the brakes pretty hard, and the car stops just as well.
Appreciate 0