E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > BMW Dealer Reviews + Ratings Forum > BMW of Sterling VA

12-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
335Turbojunkie
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 E90  [0.00]
BMW of Sterling VA

So I purchase my 335i on a Tue evening (not a BMW dealer) with the understanding that there is 6 weeks of factory warranty left. Not the case. So I show up on Thur. (BMW dealer) and find out that the warranty expires that day...or midnight the night before. So we are talking about 16 hours or so and remember...this is my first BMW and first interaction with the dealership as well as BMWNA. Long story short, they took a hardass stance with me and would not budge even in the spirit of goodwill / grace period / business development. The part that kills me is we are probably only talking about a couple hundred bucks of service at best as the place I got the car had already done the oil and put new tires on the car. So we are talking about the filter inside maybe??? Anyways, BMW and this dealership will never see any future business due to the short sighted greed that they have exhibited. I expected so much more from this caliber of auto mfg. Think I will go back to Porsche or MB or even Infiniti / Lexus for my future top end cars!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
bmw_bull
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

You can't just blame BMW NA or the dealership for something like this. Warranty is covered during certain period of time and an end date is provided within the warranty.

Besides its not the dealerships call whether to do the repair or not they have to call the BMW NA or other whoever you have the warranty with to get approvals for the repair.

Any other car company or dealership would do the same. I own a Porche and Jaguar and I can tell you the service is no different when it comes to getting repairs done under warranty.

Instead of going after the dealership you should ask the questions to the person you purchased the car from.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

So let me see if I understand this correctly,,,, You buy a used BMW and for whatever reason you "think" there is 6 weeks left on the warranty but did not research to verify or get it in writing, then you proceed to take your car in for warranty work only to find out that the warranty is expired and you blame the dealer and BMWNA for not honoring a warranty that has expired??? What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
335Turbojunkie
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 E90  [0.00]
Like I said, I was there on the 8th which BMWNA say's was the last day of the warranty, but the dealer say's otherwise....hmmmm...WTFever
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
I think the OP has a point. I had a windshield replaced at a Porsche dealer which warranted the install for 180 days. And promptly put the car in storage at my vacation home. Around 175 days later I had the car shipped to me and discovered that the windshield wasn't installed properly. I called the local dealer and told them I needed it fixed under "warranty" but by the time the could get a new windshield ordered more than 5 days at passed. The SA told me that it would cost 1250 since I had waited so long and that I should have taken in to the original dealer. Long story cut short, I asked to have the issued addressed by the SM and they agreed that they would handle all the costs and warranty the new install for an additional 180 days. Worse case scenario the dealer could have just written down that the car was checked in before the warranty expired if they wanted to get your business and have you promote them instead of leaving a bad taste in your mouth.
Appreciate 0