E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E91 to A6...

02-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
E91 to A6...

My car FINALLY goes in to be repaired on Tuesday, and as it's a non-fault accident I get a like-for-like hire car.

The bodyshop expect to need my car for 3 or 4 days, so for the rest of this week I'll be driving a 2011 Audi A6. Not sure yet what trim or engine but if it's like for like it should be the 2.7 or 3.0 TDi.

I'm very interested in this - the A6 was one of the cars I dismissed when buying the 330d because on paper, the equivalent engines just didn't stack up in terms of performance or economy and I knew if I bought one I'd be forever wondering "what if...".
      02-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Nice temp replacement that mate! Be sure to let us know how you get on! one of our MDs runs an A6, looks lovely.
      02-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
That's the thing, they look lovely, they're supposed to be lovely cars to sit in, just a little uninvolving to drive. I wonder though, whether that's at 10/10ths and if my daily slog up and down the M6 will actually be any different?
      02-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
FRG
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 325d M Sport

You won't be rushing out to get an A6, I can assure you! Fantastic interior and bags of room but totally numb drive and that's the killer. You'll be smiling from ear to ear when you get back in the E91.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
$pringy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRG View Post
You won't be rushing out to get an A6, I can assure you! Fantastic interior and bags of room but totally numb drive and that's the killer. You'll be smiling from ear to ear when you get back in the E91.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
sohlman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330iSE

I had an a6 3.2 Quattro. Nice interior handsome car, but I hatted it to drive.

Razor sharp throttle making town driving very difficult. Lousy on fuel and felt very big around corners think boat. Overly light steering. Brake pedal that's like an on off switch. If you switch auto to sport everything gets even worse.

Brilliant on motorways, comfy, well equipped. Diesels are far better, but completely different car to E9x. E6x is hands down a better nicer car, but not as big if that floss your boat.
      02-11-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRG View Post
+2... The drive is what lets all Audis down.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Well, I picked it up this morning... And I can't wait to get my E91 back!

The first gripe is the steering. It's unbelievably light, with zero feedback. Anyone who remembers arcade games like Sega Rally, it's seriously that bad. The car goes where it's pointed but my hands have absolutely no idea what's happening at the front wheels. That would be fine if it were just for parking etc, but it doesn't get any better with speed. Absolutely awful.

It's an S-Line, so comparable with my MSport. It's got Audi's MMI, so comparable with the iDrive. Everything's not peachy though. The centre console has waaaay too many buttons, really not safe to use while driving, and not very intuitive either. The rotary controller scrolls the opposite way to the iDrive one too. Nav seems very good though, and the (presumably standard) stereo is much, much better than the BMW Professional. White dials are lovely - definitely a mod I'd consider on my car in the future.

The steering wheel is thin and doesn't feel at all sporty. It has a 7 speed auto box which is perfectly adequate, and flappy paddles which are horrible small plastic things that just lend more weight to the arcade rally game feel.

Engine is only a 2.0TDi 170 though, and it's a shocker. Compared to the boxed 330d it's rattly and unrefined and, given that the car is a fucking behemoth it feels woefully underpowered. It's fine once it's up to speed but acceleration is pitiful.

Fingers crossed I'll only need it for a few days...
      02-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
Well, I picked it up this morning... And I can't wait to get my E91 back!

The first gripe is the steering. It's unbelievably light, with zero feedback. Anyone who remembers arcade games like Sega Rally, it's seriously that bad. The car goes where it's pointed but my hands have absolutely no idea what's happening at the front wheels. That would be fine if it were just for parking etc, but it doesn't get any better with speed. Absolutely awful.

It's an S-Line, so comparable with my MSport. It's got Audi's MMI, so comparable with the iDrive. Everything's not peachy though. The centre console has waaaay too many buttons, really not safe to use while driving, and not very intuitive either. The rotary controller scrolls the opposite way to the iDrive one too. Nav seems very good though, and the (presumably standard) stereo is much, much better than the BMW Professional. White dials are lovely - definitely a mod I'd consider on my car in the future.

The steering wheel is thin and doesn't feel at all sporty. It has a 7 speed auto box which is perfectly adequate, and flappy paddles which are horrible small plastic things that just lend more weight to the arcade rally game feel.

Engine is only a 2.0TDi 170 though, and it's a shocker. Compared to the boxed 330d it's rattly and unrefined and, given that the car is a fucking behemoth it feels woefully underpowered. It's fine once it's up to speed but acceleration is pitiful.

Fingers crossed I'll only need it for a few days...
Go on, tell us what you really think
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
And...

The suspension is AWFUL! Anyone who complains about the standard MSport setup has never driven an S-Line Audi. It's hard and crashy and somehow still floaty at motorway speeds.

Road noise is a problem too. I don't know whether it's the tyres or a lack of insulation generally, but it's intrusive.

2 days and counting, and I don't have to drive it tomorrow
      02-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
And...

The suspension is AWFUL! Anyone who complains about the standard MSport setup has never driven an S-Line Audi. It's hard and crashy and somehow still floaty at motorway speeds.

Road noise is a problem too. I don't know whether it's the tyres or a lack of insulation generally, but it's intrusive.

2 days and counting, and I don't have to drive it tomorrow
It wasn't just me then... I sold my S-Line A3 due to the hard ride. My E90 M Sport with 313M's on it rides better than that did!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
FRG
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 325d M Sport

The suspension was one thing that really put me off mine, awful ride on our roads. I think the 'box will be the Multitronic (CVT) one like I had, 7 preset ratios in 'manual' or sport but infinite in D. It's a strange 'box, I grew to dislike that also. Have a look for the revs going down as your speed is going up (steadily), it's odd!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
sohlman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330iSE

The quattro's are much better and the auto is a proper one. However this is not a car that gives any driving pleasure. It's best sampled in the passenger seat.
      02-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #14
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Paul
I tried an A5 3.0tdi after my E91 got lunched.
Nice place to sit until you wanted to go anywhere.
Took a demo (manual) out from Stoke Audi, and the run up from the J16 island up Trentham Road towards Whitmore was all it took for me to turn it round and take it back!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Mike,

aside from Pauls comments - I'd be interested to know what you didn't like about the A5? Or has Paul pretty much covered most things with the A6?

Cheers.

Last edited by Cyprio; 02-14-2013 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #16
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
Mike,

aside from Pauls comments - I'd be interested to know what you didn't like about the A5? Or has Paul pretty much covered most things with the A6?

Cheers.
From mine and other friends Audi experiences, the above comments cover A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, Q3, Q5, Q7 and even the current RS4, 5 and 6.

Basically all but the first gen V8 RS4 then...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Never driven an Audi, although really suprised how crap alot of folks think they are to drive.
      02-15-2013, 03:13 AM   #18
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I think from peoples comments here that you dont realise what you have until you try something else.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #19
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Having had BMW's for some years, I thought that I'd try the "opposition" as the A5 Sportback ticked all the boxes.

The sales person was very good - he knew I didn't want to buy that particular car as it was the wrong colour for me. He did let me take it out though. Ride was comparable to the E91. Seats similar. As noted previously, there were a lot of switches and controls dotted about. Not an issue for me.
On the couple of corners that I threw the car round, it went well, as it should. There was one uphill drag, that I floored it on, then slowing down, and flooring it on the flat. At similar points on the road, the A5 was doing 20-30mph less than the 335d. I said to the sales person that I didn't think I'd be a good enough driver to notice the difference in power. Good or not, the power difference was noticeable. Enough that within seconds of giving it a blast, I knew I wouldn't be satisfied.
Yes, it was a roomier, more practical car for my needs than the E91, but performance-wise, it is in another class

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #20
andy9188
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: van

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
Having had BMW's for some years, I thought that I'd try the "opposition" as the A5 Sportback ticked all the boxes.

The sales person was very good - he knew I didn't want to buy that particular car as it was the wrong colour for me. He did let me take it out though. Ride was comparable to the E91. Seats similar. As noted previously, there were a lot of switches and controls dotted about. Not an issue for me.
On the couple of corners that I threw the car round, it went well, as it should. There was one uphill drag, that I floored it on, then slowing down, and flooring it on the flat. At similar points on the road, the A5 was doing 20-30mph less than the 335d. I said to the sales person that I didn't think I'd be a good enough driver to notice the difference in power. Good or not, the power difference was noticeable. Enough that within seconds of giving it a blast, I knew I wouldn't be satisfied.
Yes, it was a roomier, more practical car for my needs than the E91, but performance-wise, it is in another class

Mike
Are you going to get the new 335d mapped mike? It's a different animal then.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:06 AM   #21
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
Never driven an Audi, although really suprised how crap alot of folks think they are to drive.
It was my first, and to be honest, probably my last. I'd rather have driven the OH's 10 year old Focus.

And it's true about the Audi's shocking economy - I know I only had it for a few days, but driving it exactly how I drive the 330d, over exactly the same journeys, it returned exactly the same mpg.
      02-18-2013, 04:12 AM   #22
RAR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Alpine Ed.

My mate has an Audi A6 3.0TDI Le Mans avant with the 19" alloys and all the toys in black, absolutely gorgeous looking car and the cockpit is beautiful.

He's had it remapped too so it's pushing out a bit more than standard and I have to say after driving it, I was sadly disappointed. As most of you have commented, the steering lacked any real feedback and the whole experience was just a bit numb. Was pretty quick for a 2 tonne car but still not my bag.

I must say though, after driving it I was smiling from ear to ear....because I almost went for an A3 3.2 Quattro instead of the E90 and I'm so glad I didn't!

I did get to drive his Lotus Elise afterwards though, that was much better than the Audi.
Appreciate 0