E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > The not so fun parts of the N54

05-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #89
SCS15
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Thanks man

I don't think so... Didn't feel any stumbling and definitely no codes. Drove it hard today too and didn't misfire either. I think plugs might have done it but time will tell. Hahaha even though it was pulling pretty hard I still can't get over your buddy's car with the meth... Once everything is running right that will be my next "go" mod. Show mods are done once I can get this stupid lip mounted
Lmao i feel ya man, made me feel even slowerr....need Tiago to ship out these damn downpipes soon so i can get off map 1
JB4 G5 - Forge FMIC - VRSF V2 DP - Magnaflow 15529 Catback Exhaust - BMS Clutch Stop - BMS DCI - CDV Delete - Dinan Stage 3 Suspension - 19x8.5/10 Forgestar F14 Gloss Gunmetal - Michelin PSS - M-Sport Front & Rear - M3 Side Skirts - OEM M3 Decklid Spoiler - BMW Performance Grilles - ZHP Shift Knob - M-Sport Steering Wheel - M-Sport Door Sills
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #90
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS15 View Post
Lmao i feel ya man, made me feel even slowerr....need Tiago to ship out these damn downpipes soon so i can get off map 1
Hahaha you should just go to that Exxon by birdies and do map 5 with 5 gallons of E85
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #91
SCS15
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hahaha you should just go to that Exxon by birdies and do map 5 with 5 gallons of E85
I thought I needed downpipes before going e85 and map 5
JB4 G5 - Forge FMIC - VRSF V2 DP - Magnaflow 15529 Catback Exhaust - BMS Clutch Stop - BMS DCI - CDV Delete - Dinan Stage 3 Suspension - 19x8.5/10 Forgestar F14 Gloss Gunmetal - Michelin PSS - M-Sport Front & Rear - M3 Side Skirts - OEM M3 Decklid Spoiler - BMW Performance Grilles - ZHP Shift Knob - M-Sport Steering Wheel - M-Sport Door Sills
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #92
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
I wouldn't do it without DP's
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #93
SCS15
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
I wouldn't do it without DP's
Yea i was under that impression as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #94
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope not needed from what i've heard. It will help and be better for the turbos with downpipes but as far as I know you don't need it. I think i've even seen Terry do dynos with Tune, intake and E85. If you have time definitely go grab 4-5 gallons then fill up with 93 and switch to map 5 tomorrow. After 3 pulls in 3rd gear to help it learn on the highway it will feel like a new car again
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #95
SCS15
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Nope not needed from what i've heard. It will help and be better for the turbos with downpipes but as far as I know you don't need it. I think i've even seen Terry do dynos with Tune, intake and E85. If you have time definitely go grab 4-5 gallons then fill up with 93 and switch to map 5 tomorrow. After 3 pulls in 3rd gear to help it learn on the highway it will feel like a new car again
Its all good, my dp's should be here next week and ill slap on the whole exhaust and dp's at the same time and get some e85 right away.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #96
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its all good, my dp's should be here next week and ill slap on the whole exhaust and dp's at the same time and get some e85 right away.
Sounds like it will be a fun week
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #97
DefactoM6
Sees the world the way it could be
United_States
Rep
Drives: '88 M6, '02 Z8, '09 E92 335i

Quote:
Ok that's good to know. Thanks

Thanks

Ehh I would much rather buy the bosch ones that plug right in. Cheaper than BMW ones but same thing. The code isn't appearing 100% of the time but does appear most as you can see from the pictures i've put up in this thread. Before the easiest way to get the car to misfire would be to do a pull starting from a stop with traction off 1-2nd gear. Usually that would trigger the misfire codes. Over the last few days though they've been coming on relatively easy. I could just be cruising at 40 then downshift to third and go to pass someone and boom, misfire and stumbling. I didn't drive the car today but did replace the plugs so i'll go out tomorrow and see if its still misfire which i'm sure it will be. Oddly enough yesterday was tough to get the car to misfire. On my way home from school I did my usual 3rd and 4th gear pulls to trigger the misfire but it wouldn't... It would stumble once or twice during the pull but not trigger a code... I even drove past my house to keep trying and went up a hill in 4th, 6th gear pull from 40, etc... I finally gave up and started heading home then right before my house did a quick third gear pull and sure enough I got the codes. Yesterday were misfires cyl 4,5,6. I'll post up pics of the plugs in a bit
RPM? We are only concerned with pertinent facts. And do you like hearing yourself talk, or do you really enjoy hitting your head against a wall repeatedly? You've now had a number of experienced, well informed individuals tell you the order in which you should chase things down, yet you ignore the advice and heed your quixotic desire to find issues where you've already troubleshooted (and where the evidence does not suggest looking), only paying mind to those who validate your thoughts. It's a pretty shitty way to approach problem solving, if not life. Yes, those plugs don't look like they were ever changed, but seriously, blast your valves first and stop wasting people's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleventeen View Post
Just a small correction: a backfire or popping could be caused by an actual misfire, but not a perceived misfire. When the DME thinks there is a misfire, it cuts spark AND fuel, so there wouldn't be popping. In fact, the whole point of misfire detection is to preserve the cats and prevent excess emissions from the unburnt fuel passing through; so the fuel is cut. This being the case, the popping signifies an actual misfire.

Also, not sure if the front O2 sensors help to detect misfires or not; but the primary detection is based on CPS feedback.
Eleventeen-I would generally agree on the first point, the DME cuts both to protect the cats. I would get backfire when my car was misfiring from the DMFW, but I am spraying meth at a pretty high concentration, which would certainly cause that (and that was the only real way in which I mean the DME "thinks" it has a misfire vs. actually having one). Two friends claimed backfiring symptoms with their misfires (one was injectors, the other was carbon buildup), but I couldn't personally verify. And in either case, an actual misfire with unburnt fuel entering the exhaust would be possible.

Also agree that primary method of miss detection is CPS feedback, however, I have been told by a number of well informed sources that there does seem to be a certain relationship to the front o2s. That said, if there is a problem with the o2s, the car will certainly let you know. Either way, the rear o2s really only exist to determine catalyst efficiency.

Last edited by DefactoM6; 05-07-2013 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #98
ZTZ1010
Aficionado of All Things Vroom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefactoM6 View Post
You've now had a number of experienced, well informed individuals tell you the order in which you should chase things down, yet you ignore the advice and heed your quixotic desire to find issues where you've already troubleshooted (and where the evidence does not suggest looking), only paying mind to those who validate your thoughts. It's a pretty shitty way to approach problem solving, if not life. Yes, those plugs don't look like they were ever changed, but seriously, blast your valves first and stop wasting people's time.
+1000

Retired:
'18 6MT AW F30 340x Drive | '15 6MT F80 M3| '11 AW DCT E92 M3| '09 6MT AW E90 335i| 08' 6MT E92 328xi
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #99
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
RPM? We are only concerned with pertinent facts. And do you like hearing yourself talk, or do you really enjoy hitting your head against a wall repeatedly? You've now had a number of experienced, well informed individuals tell you the order in which you should chase things down, yet you ignore the advice and heed your quixotic desire to find issues where you've already troubleshooted (and where the evidence does not suggest looking), only paying mind to those who validate your thoughts. It's a pretty shitty way to approach problem solving, if not life. Yes, those plugs don't look like they were ever changed, but seriously, blast your valves first and stop wasting people's time.
Have you even read the thread...? I haven't had a stumble or misfire since Saturday and that was after the new plugs. I'm not really looking for help anymore with the misfires since they seem to be gone. Am I going to get a walnut blasting? Of course. Stop hitting your head against a wall and read the fucking thread. My appointment is May 18th for walnut blasting as that's the earliest they could do it. Instead of sitting on my ass like a fool until May 18th, I decided to try other things that are easy to replace first. I drive the car every day and need to be driving it every day so i'm not going to deal with it running like shit until I can get a walnut blasting. Once again read the thread and you would see i'm 99.99% sure the misfires are gone. Don't need your help buddy but appreciate you coming in here in an attempt to "educate."

In terms of what RPM I just told in the post you replied to... It was not a consistent RPM it happens all over the place at different times. Sorry I don't have a pinpoint 3567 RPM point for you to analyze.

I normally don't get annoyed and try to maintain my composure on the forums but you coming and trying to make me seem like a fool really annoyed me. I'm not wasting anyones time, if people don't want to help out they don't post. People that do want to help out usually do post. Those knowledgable people have been a huge help and suggested why not try plugs which I did. They are cheap so why not just do it and get one step colder? Guess what their suggestions worked and so far misfire free whereas your suggestions did not. Thanks again for your "help"

Edit: Also paying attention to only those validating my thoughts? You asked for more details on when misfires happened and whatnot and I wrote you a lengthy response of exactly when i've been noticing them. As said above sorry it's not an exact RPM but it's not a set thing. It's been all over the place so i've provided you with as much info as possible.

Now time to go out and do the logs those of you that are actually helping and not just ranting asked for. I'll do one pull what i've been running for the last few days with no misfire (map 5) and another on map 1. Also ordered both rear o2's last night to have in case they need replacing when i'm at the shop this weekend. If they don't, I will just return them
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #100
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ok went out and did a couple logs. 2 Map 5 from what i've had it in for the last few days and then 2 map 1. Idk why i'm getting so many timing drops even on map 1...?

Map 5:

Map 1:

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #101
DefactoM6
Sees the world the way it could be
United_States
Rep
Drives: '88 M6, '02 Z8, '09 E92 335i

Quote:
Quick update. So drove a bit today and everything seemed much better. When it was cold it was much smoother with less jerks accelerating gently. Mid day got the car warm and did a few short 2nd and 3rd bursts and all was good. I was ecstatic and thought the issue was finally fixed. Then as i'm driving I downshift to 2nd and go to pass someone and boom SES light and misfires... Checked coes and 2C7F Lambad probe behind catalytic converter 2, trimm control, 29D1 Cyl 5 misfire, 29D0 cyl 4 misfire. I did a restart then really pushed the car on the way home after the misfire and no hesitations. I was doing back roads and flooring it in 2nd, 3rd, etc... Only felt a slight hesitation once in 3rd but otherwise it was smooth and no misfires on the way home. Idk what to do anymore. The plugs definitely made it a bit smoother but still having the issues
Herp the derp much? According to you, they did come back. I read. And responded based on evidence. Which, by the way, there's no mention of RPM in your response to me at all. You were saying?
      05-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #102
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Herp the derp much? According to you, they did come back.
Once again read the thread. According to me on Saturday I went to pass someone in 2nd gear and did get a misfire. Since then, nothing. Haven't even felt the car stumbling. I've been doing 1st-3rd gear pulls, 3rd-4th, 4th up hill, etc... and so far so good. Trust me I hope it's not as simple as the plugs cause I would love to find more shit that needs replacing and get the car running near perfect.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #103
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Got an update for you guys. So just got home from Autocouture in NJ for the walnut blasting. The car runs a lot smoother but still misfiring like crazy. The odd thing is on map 2 the car almost never misfires and pulls very hard. On map 5 with E85 last weekend the car was misfiring from just 2nd gear pulls and today from high load like 4th gear at 30 mph.

Anyways since walnut blasting didn't fix it Autocouture is suggesting I replace the other 4 injectors that are not new. I guess that's the next step and hopefully what will fix this. Today at the shop the misfire was cyl 4 which is why we think it might be those injectors. I misfired a bunch on the way home so i'm going to go out to check those codes now. Here's some pics from today. Cyl 5 is the one in the pic with buildup. The guy doing it said the buildup honestly wasn't that bad and he's seen much worse come in

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #104
Eleventeen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:

Eleventeen-I would generally agree on the first point, the DME cuts both to protect the cats. I would get backfire when my car was misfiring from the DMFW, but I am spraying meth at a pretty high concentration, which would certainly cause that (and that was the only real way in which I mean the DME "thinks" it has a misfire vs. actually having one). Two friends claimed backfiring symptoms with their misfires (one was injectors, the other was carbon buildup), but I couldn't personally verify. And in either case, an actual misfire with unburnt fuel entering the exhaust would be possible.

Also agree that primary method of miss detection is CPS feedback, however, I have been told by a number of well informed sources that there does seem to be a certain relationship to the front o2s. That said, if there is a problem with the o2s, the car will certainly let you know. Either way, the rear o2s really only exist to determine catalyst efficiency.
Okay, I see what you're saying. If you have a bunch of meth or fuel already / still in the cylinder when the DME cuts fuel and spark, it makes sense that it would backfire in the exhaust.
      05-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #105
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

@psmitty95 , do you have a friend that has cobb. I think you should try it out just to rule out the tune or bad settings on it. You have nothing to lose really.
SOLD - '22 Tesla M3P | '10 E92 335i M, 6MT | '07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, FBO, HFS4
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #106
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

If for some reason you decide to sell your car....... call me; I want your headlights
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #107
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
@psmitty95 , do you have a friend that has cobb. I think you should try it out just to rule out the tune or bad settings on it. You have nothing to lose really.
Hmm that's not a bad idea but I think it would still misfire only because the first day of misfires was G4 board then then I swapped to ISO and nothing changed. I don't know anyone here with a cobb unfortunately but I guess I should start looking around. Pretty much willing to try almost anything at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChase View Post
If for some reason you decide to sell your car....... call me; I want your headlights
Hahahah will do
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #108
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Anyone think maybe it's the flywheel?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 04:26 AM   #109
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

So you have changed plugs coils and done the walnut blast?

What about a check of your vac lines, what codes have you pulled?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #110
///3dkn
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [8.67]
I don't know if this has been brought up already, but which firmware are you running? Have you updated to the latest JB4 firmware as of late? And also you might want to check to see if your AFR and Fuel open loop mapping numbers are set to default after an update. I had a similar problem awhile back and I updated my firmware and double checked all the default numbers and never had the problem ever again. Hope all is well.
Appreciate 0