E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > 2012 Track Events (Québec, Ontario & North East USA)

11-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #441
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Nice video jgalaxy. I like seeing my car side step in the fast uphill esses. Scary moment which was greatly felt in the seat on my pants. I was flustered after my wide outing at turn 2, and maybe wasn't settled in my mind at the moment.

We learn something ever so often.
I'm thinking that was the case. The 'twitch' as I call it, up track on the 'S'es, must have been a tad more unsettling than the off at turn 2 ... Lucky you didnt lift too much ... that would have been ... Uhm, bad.

My off at 2 was a big surprise. I though I was all set with my steering angle for turn in and was back on the accelerator, fixated up field for corner 3 and 4 only to hear that rumble of the car going off into the dirt.

What was pretty interesting was being behind Chris on turn 4 as he turned in and gaving next to nothing for acceleration, broke the rear end free - nice recovery too -

I really like that track. Such a shame that it is 14 hours from Montreal.
      11-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #442
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
I'm thinking that was the case. The 'twitch' as I call it, up track on the 'S'es, must have been a tad more unsettling than the off at turn 2 ... Lucky you didnt lift too much ... that would have been ... Uhm, bad.

My off at 2 was a big surprise. I though I was all set with my steering angle for turn in and was back on the accelerator, fixated up field for corner 3 and 4 only to hear that rumble of the car going off into the dirt.

What was pretty interesting was being behind Chris on turn 4 as he turned in and gaving next to nothing for acceleration, broke the rear end free - nice recovery too -

I really like that track. Such a shame that it is 14 hours from Montreal.

We could look into hiring a transport co. to ship our cars and we fly down...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #443
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
We could look into hiring a transport co. to ship our cars and we fly down...
I just put in a quote to autorail.com for Danville, VA. Lets see what comes back.

Last edited by jgalaxy; 11-15-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #444
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
I will venture to Mosport or WGI next year (or both), which club is the best to do this with? BMW CCA? PCA etc?

Here are my constraints: Not available for 1 month, say starting 2nd week of July though first week of August (tentatively).

Next year the plan is:

1 event at Mosport (intermediate group)
1 event at WGI (intermediate group)
2-3 events at LCMT (Advanced - mainly 1 day events with BMW QC and/or Viper)
1 event at Calabogie (Advanced - but I may pass on this we"ll see)
Repost!
      11-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #445
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

How much can my 2007 60k car fetch? Thoughts? And where can I advertise?

Just an embryonic thought for now!
      11-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #446
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Repost!
The season is just but over for a few weeks and your already doing your early planning. Awesome.
      11-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #447
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
How much can my 2007 60k car fetch? Thoughts? And where can I advertise?

Just an embryonic thought for now!
Your car should be a monster on the track. Camber kit, juice, AST 4x00, inter-cooler ... track rims (Can we roll your fenders to stuff in some 265 or 275s? Seb has a tool)... You just need some new solid disks and PF01 pads and your ready to rock.

I would check auto trader, Kijiji, Auto Hebo, LesPacs etc for a few samplers.
      11-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #448
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
I will venture to Mosport or WGI next year (or both), which club is the best to do this with? BMW CCA? PCA etc?

Here are my constraints: Not available for 1 month, say starting 2nd week of July though first week of August (tentatively).

Next year the plan is:

1 event at Mosport (intermediate group)
1 event at WGI (intermediate group)
2-3 events at LCMT (Advanced - mainly 1 day events with BMW QC and/or Viper)
1 event at Calabogie (Advanced - but I may pass on this we"ll see)
i didnt get a chance to see you at all at the track this season. my season started late. i only started tracking in july since i was off getting married. which events did you do this year?

would be great if you joined us for watkins glen. we'll have one more montrealer doing the ride down. i believe pseudo nim is interested in going down as well... so we potentially have 5 cars going down. awesome!

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #449
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The season is just but over for a few weeks and your already doing your early planning. Awesome.
Quote:
Your car should be a monster on the track. Camber kit, juice, AST 4x00, inter-cooler ... track rims (Can we roll your fenders to stuff in some 265 or 275s? Seb has a tool)... You just need some new solid disks and PF01 pads and your ready to rock.

I would check auto trader, Kijiji, Auto Hebo, LesPacs etc for a few samplers.
This season was a complete write-off! I did the Viper LCMT with you in May and was then adjusting to my new rotors, remember the pads being chumped down rather fast?

Then I fell sick end of May but still went to the June LCMT BMW Qc event. I took it a little easy then.

Then my mum passed away in August and I cancelled my other events. The last event in October, we all know what happened, drove without boost....

So the last time I actually drove fast was in 2011......
      11-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #450
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
i didnt get a chance to see you at all at the track this season. my season started late. i only started tracking in july since i was off getting married. which events did you do this year?

would be great if you joined us for watkins glen. we'll have one more montrealer doing the ride down. i believe pseudo nim is interested in going down as well... so we potentially have 5 cars going down. awesome!
Yes, next year Which club do you recommend? BMW, Porsche, Other?
      11-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #451
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This season was a complete write-off! I did the Viper LCMT with you in May and was then adjusting to my new rotors, remember the pads being chumped down rather fast?

Then I fell sick end of May but still went to the June LCMT BMW Qc event. I took it a little easy then.

Then my mum passed away in August and I cancelled my other events. The last event in October, we all know what happened, drove without boost....

So the last time I actually drove fast was in 2011......
So the upcoming season should be a bonus. Boy all that pent up track wanting from this year. You'll be a demon next year.

Quote:
Yes, next year Which club do you recommend? BMW, Porsche, Other?
It depends what you are looking for. From an intermediate standpoint If you are looking for very conservative, with mandatory point bys and passing only on the straights, I think any of the organized clubs are best (BMW, Audi, and Porsche Club).

A little more challenging but still very organized and safe with passing in many more areas but with point-bys; there is Viper/Bimmer, Subaru Club, Phoenix CMR.

Of course if you like things a little more competitive () the advanced/expert groups of most clubs there are no point bys and passing anywhere except at the apex.

I'll have to cut down for next year, but I'll do the Viper/Bimmer events at LCMT and CMP (They may try and get a WGI). I'll also do Phoenix at WGI, ASE at Mosport and at least one BMW Qc, and likely a BMW Patroon or BMW Genesee at WGI and cap the season with NJ PCA at VIR.

You should come along for a CMP, LCMT and WGI.
      11-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #452
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

What does CMR stands for in Phoenix CMR? I am comfortable in the advanced groups, but for tracks I have never been to before, I'd take it easy the first time in the intermediate group, as I want to learn the track properly, instead of constantly having to give point bys.

Yes, the plan is to try Mosport or WGI (or both)

Why are you cutting down next year? The car needs to be driven
      11-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #453
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What does CMR stands for in Phoenix CMR? I am comfortable in the advanced groups, but for tracks I have never been to before, I'd take it easy the first time in the intermediate group, as I want to learn the track properly, instead of constantly having to give point bys.

You, know .... I have no clue what CMR means.

I have to cut down. I went a little overboard last year. Burned a freakin huge enough hole. I think 9 or 10 track days will suffice.
      11-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #454
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

cool little video focussing on the BMW team at VIR this year.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #455
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
You, know .... I have no clue what CMR means.

I have to cut down. I went a little overboard last year. Burned a freakin huge enough hole. I think 9 or 10 track days will suffice.
not sure what CMR stands for either but they are a great bunch of people. i didnt find the advanced group overly aggressive.

ken, even if you are placed in advanced group, i dont think you have to worry that much. not everyone in A group is super fast. find someone that laps at a comfortable pace and follow them through the corners. after a couple of laps, you'll get used to the track. this is the way i learnt Mosport, Watkins and VIR.

sorry to hear bout the death of your mom btw, i guess its understandable that your season got thrown off.

and joel, i dont think 9 or 10 track days for you would come anywhere close to quenching your appetite. lol... did you count how many you this year ? i am curious to know. even with my shortened season this year, i still did 10 track days (4 events).

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #456
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
not sure what CMR stands for either but they are a great bunch of people. i didnt find the advanced group overly aggressive.

ken, even if you are placed in advanced group, i dont think you have to worry that much. not everyone in A group is super fast. find someone that laps at a comfortable pace and follow them through the corners. after a couple of laps, you'll get used to the track. this is the way i learnt Mosport, Watkins and VIR.

sorry to hear bout the death of your mom btw, i guess its understandable that your season got thrown off.

and joel, i dont think 9 or 10 track days for you would come anywhere close to quenching your appetite. lol... did you count how many you this year ? i am curious to know. even with my shortened season this year, i still did 10 track days (4 events).
19 days or roughly 49 hours. It will be hard to cut back. I'll see if I go into withdrawal. I do owe my wife a summer vacation next year. I will see about turning that into a track event (Muuhahaha).
      11-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #457
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
19 days or roughly 49 hours. It will be hard to cut back. I'll see if I go into withdrawal. I do owe my wife a summer vacation next year. I will see about turning that into a track event (Muuhahaha).
Make it a vacation in Europe, driving winding roads in the Alps, and a trip around the Ring in the Ring taxi. Reserve early. I myself have been resisting cruise vacations with thousands other strangers .....
      11-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #458
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
bring her to vegas.... lots of sun, nice hotels and good food for reasonable prices.... then both of you can do this...

http://www.exoticsracing.com

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #459
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Make it a vacation in Europe, driving winding roads in the Alps, and a trip around the Ring in the Ring taxi. Reserve early. I myself have been resisting cruise vacations with thousands other strangers .....
one day i would do this.... would love to rent a small race car at the ring and try it out for myself though... dont think sitting in a ring taxi is going to cut it for me.

check this out.... prices seem reasonable for the smaller race prep cars.
http://www.rentracecar.de/english/prices/index.html

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #460
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
one day i would do this.... would love to rent a small race car at the ring and try it out for myself though... dont think sitting in a ring taxi is going to cut it for me.

check this out.... prices seem reasonable for the smaller race prep cars.
http://www.rentracecar.de/english/prices/index.html
Sweet. I knew there was an outfit like that out there for the ring. Thanks for finding it. I could enjoy a day in the Megan RS or Toyota GT.
      11-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #461
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Sweet. I knew there was an outfit like that out there for the ring. Thanks for finding it. I could enjoy a day in the Megan RS or Toyota GT.
Add this to your trip...

Classic 911 rental & vacation
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #462
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Add this to your trip...

Classic 911 rental & vacation
Now that would be a nice driving experience.