E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Your thoughts on LPG?

09-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

Your thoughts on LPG?

I'm considering getting a diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee - they do 20-25 mpg by the looks of it

However for similar money, I can get an SRT8 - 6.1 V8 420bhp monster, with an LPG conversion - 12-15 mpg, but fuel costs 60p per litre, so 24-30 mpg comparatively speaking

Anyone any experiences or views on LPG conversions, especially for monster engines like these?

(please no suggestions of getting an X5 instead )

09-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
jonsteele
Old enough to know better!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I've seen a custom off road Range Rover V8 with the conversion and the owner swore by it. However, he had plenty of spare room for the LPG tank. When I looked into converting my petrol Landy the biggest issue was where to site the tank without compromising ride hieght or internal space.
Le Mans Blue/18" Alloys/Bi Xenons/Climate Screen/Black, Heated Dakota Leather/6 CD Changer with Dension 500/Power Mirrors/M3 Lip Spoiler/Gloss Black Grills/Through Load, Storage pack, Lumbar Support, Smokers Deletion
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
warriorboy
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport coupe

I used to have an LPG jag, was filling up every 2-3 days, due to having a 55l do-nut tank, now I fill up only once every 10 days or so (I love my 320d !). so was spending loads more of my free (lunch) time down the filling station.

they can be great if you have large capacity cylinder tanks, also the industry is full of cowboys, so check out who did the conversion and get feedback on them, and also look for anything "iffy" on the test drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

LPG is very popular in Australia.

But it is also associated with taxis, so people with expensive cars rarely get the conversion done.

The advantages are much lower fuel costs the disadvantages are:
- it can smell a bit different
- it's harder to find a refuelling station
- you lose boot space with the tank
- you often end up with a dinky looking LED fuel gauge
- you lose a bit of power

I think it may also be more difficult to take your car on a ferry or Eurotunnel.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
LPG is very popular in Australia.

But it is also associated with taxis, so people with expensive cars rarely get the conversion done.

The advantages are much lower fuel costs the disadvantages are:
- it can smell a bit different
- it's harder to find a refuelling station
- you lose boot space with the tank
- you often end up with a dinky looking LED fuel gauge
- you lose a bit of power

I think it may also be more difficult to take your car on a ferry or Eurotunnel.
I had a vectra lpg from the factory and it was a good was of getting cheaper private miles.

You were not allowed on Eurotunnel then, not sure about now however you are definitly allowed on ferries as I travelled on them every week for 3 years.

In those days is was 40p a litre so increased a lot since then. I did not notice a loss in power at all but I did have to fill up more often as the tank was 40-50 litre and you get less MPG than the petrol equivalent.

I guess its down to using a reputable conversion company and how long you decide to keep the car. It was around £2k to convert aftermarket but in 2004 you could get a grant, not sure about now though.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

The vehicle I've seen is a 2006 Grand Cherokee SRT8 with 25k on the clock, already converted to LPG, I think the LPG tank is approx 110 litres

Its up for £19k

I could stomach 10mpg if I was paying 50% of the cost to fill up

Might have to try one, they are supposed to be mental
      09-10-2010, 01:50 AM   #7
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

my son has a lexus v8 lpg which seems to run fine and hes just bought a range rover with a v8 and had that converted he says no obvious loss in power and it runs well lpg is now about 67p but still much cheaper than diesel overall we worked out that it is cheaper to run than a diesel sounds the nuts too! plus they are cheaper to buy.
Appreciate 0