E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How many coats of Zaino?

11-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #23
gdnyc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Jet Black

I have 3 coats of Z5 and 4 coats of Z2. They were all applied in late spring. After a month passed I applied Zaino CS. Every month after that, I have been applying either Z6 or Z8. I will give it one more coat of Z5 and two coats of Z2 before the winter. I could probably go without it. The paint still beads and teh finish is still slick.

Being in CA, you should be fine with 7 coats. I am in NYC and have to protect against the salt spreaders and freezing temps

BMW, please get rid of the RFT's and give us a spare tire!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #24
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdnyc View Post
I have 3 coats of Z5 and 4 coats of Z2. They were all applied in late spring. After a month passed I applied Zaino CS. Every month after that, I have been applying either Z6 or Z8. I will give it one more coat of Z5 and two coats of Z2 before the winter. I could probably go without it. The paint still beads and teh finish is still slick.

Being in CA, you should be fine with 7 coats. I am in NYC and have to protect against the salt spreaders and freezing temps
OT - what do you think of Z-CS? I just bought some Z-CS. I had to get new tire dressing, so I threw that into my order, too. I'm interested to see how it works.

I need a free weekend and a (relatively) warm weekend. If those planets ever align, I intend to put some Z-5, Z-2, and Z-CS on the car. I can't believe I've been missing out on Z-5 for so long. I've had some for a year but have not used it. After reading picus's reply, I did a search and I see almost everyone with a dark car uses Z-5. I'll have to see how/if it looks different than Z-2.

Even if I don't get to another Zaino session before winter, I have enough Z-2 on the car, and applied recently enough, to make it through the cold months.
      11-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #25
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds82 View Post
i've got 6 coats on my car since the beginning of spring, still looks perfect
1/ is that 6 coats of z2 after clay and polish?
or
2/ is it say clay, polsih, 3 coats of z2 and then various additional weekly coats of z6/z8 ?

is #2 above how most people count there "coats" of zaino?

thanks,
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #26
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

regarding z5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
i contacted zaino awhile back and they recommended to always apply Z2 pro on top of Z5 pro. but then everyone is saying to use Z5 Pro on darker cars/Z2 on lighter ones. so does that imply that it's okay to use Z5 pro as the last coat on dark colored cars?
my car is space grey, and i do not use Z5.
is space grey considered dark? should i be using z5?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 11:09 AM   #27
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I have a new coat of Z8 on every time I wash the car, it's teh finishing touch to make sure everything is nice and clean, plus smells good.

When I say x number of caots of Z2 or Z5, it's just that. Never applied all at once, but I restart my count after a clay or polish. So right now, since John1c came out a few weeks ago and polished/clayed things out, I have one coat of Z2. It's soccer season and All Your Saturdays Occupied (AYSO), playoff are just about to start. Ididn't even get to wash last weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #28
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Z5 is needed as a quick wayout of doing a real polish. On some paints it can make it good enough to forego the polish for a while, especially if you are heading into winter weather. No, not that slight change in temps we have here in Cali, the real weather back east.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #29
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

when / how to add additional layers of z2 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I have a new coat of Z8 on every time I wash the car, it's teh finishing touch to make sure everything is nice and clean, plus smells good.

When I say x number of caots of Z2 or Z5, it's just that. Never applied all at once, but I restart my count after a clay or polish. So right now, since John1c came out a few weeks ago and polished/clayed things out, I have one coat of Z2. It's soccer season and All Your Saturdays Occupied (AYSO), playoff are just about to start. Ididn't even get to wash last weekend.
i have a very good base from 1 month ago:
clay, polish (zpc) , z2,z2,z2, zcs

after every weekly (z7) wash, i try to apply z6, or z8.

does that still mean that i cannot add any more layers of z2 to my "base" unless i first clay, or polish (with zpc)?
if this is true, it is impossible (for me) to have more than 3 - 4 coats of z2 because once u polish, it is all gone.

also, is it true you can only have up to 10 coats max of z2 (do not worry, i know all about using zfx).

thanks,
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #30
smog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post

does that still mean that i cannot add any more layers of z2 to my "base" unless i first clay, or polish (with zpc)?
if this is true, it is impossible (for me) to have more than 3 - 4 coats of z2 because once u polish, it is all gone.
no, you are supposed to be able to add as many coats as you want without doing the clay/polish routine. how else do you think some of these (insane) autopia guys can manage to put 25+ coats of z on their cars?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #31
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Z6/8 are not polishes. You may be stuck in that misconception about the terms used. Polish implies some level of surface removal. Z2 and 5 are sealants with optical enhancers. Z6/8 are final enhancers and/or quick detailers (substitutes for a bath). Z6/8 do nothing to remove sealants, they only remove shine dampening contaminants (dirt, muck)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #32
publiclinks
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335d: Black/Black

Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal is the $hit. I can do the whole car in about 10 minutes. Dries crystal clear...no polishing it off...and you don't have to worry about getting it on your textured plastics. Hell, put it on there too...it all dries clear. Beading is great. Highly recommended.

Current Car:E90 335d: Black/Black/Dark Burl Walnut; Sport; Premium; Comfort Access; Heated Seats; Auto
Previous Car:E92 335i: Montego/Black/Dark Burl Walnut; Sport; Premium; Comfort Access; Steptronic w/paddles; PDC; Active Cruise Control; Heated Seats; Aero Kit w/o spoiler
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #33
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by publiclinks View Post
Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal is the $hit. I can do the whole car in about 10 minutes. Dries crystal clear...no polishing it off...and you don't have to worry about getting it on your textured plastics. Hell, put it on there too...it all dries clear. Beading is great. Highly recommended.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I've been using Z2 to this point, but I'm going to try Z-5 and Z-CS sometime soon, just to see if I notice any difference. I love the idea of not having to buff the stuff off -- that is the worst part, by far.
      11-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #34
gdnyc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Jet Black

Zaino CS is a breeze to work with. You don't need to use to much. Mist it on, wipe and walk away. Within a few minutes it's dry and streak free. It left the surface smooth and slippery.
I tried it in my parents 530. Since it's Space gray metallic, I use a carnuba wax. I applied the CS and it still beads 6 months after I applied the carnuba with no additional coats

BMW, please get rid of the RFT's and give us a spare tire!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #35
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
When I use Z-2, I mist the applicator before putting a dime-sized amount of Z-2 on it. I find it makes it WAY easier to spread evenly.

How about with Z-CS? It's a spray to begin with? So you don't mist with Z-6 first?
      11-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #36
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Z6/8 are not polishes. You may be stuck in that misconception about the terms used. Polish implies some level of surface removal. Z2 and 5 are sealants with optical enhancers. Z6/8 are final enhancers and/or quick detailers (substitutes for a bath). Z6/8 do nothing to remove sealants, they only remove shine dampening contaminants (dirt, muck)

understood.

smog posted above that i can add additional layers of z2 after (only) a good wash. since z6 and z8 are not sealants and just enhancers:

that means if i want more "coats" of zaino for protection i can use either
more z2, or zcs... is that correct?

since my car is new, and in top shape, will my space grey vert benifit from z5?
note that zaino lists z5 along with z2 and zcs under "surface protection and shine".

lastly, what do you guys think about: after a very good base is on, and many additional layers of z2/zcs on top, what is the best product for show finish shine (gloss enhancing): z8, or more zcs??

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #37
Volfan615
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

I quit counting on my vette!
      11-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #38
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Zaino and carnuba wax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdnyc View Post
Zaino CS is a breeze to work with. You don't need to use to much. Mist it on, wipe and walk away. Within a few minutes it's dry and streak free. It left the surface smooth and slippery.
I tried it in my parents 530. Since it's Space gray metallic, I use a carnuba wax. I applied the CS and it still beads 6 months after I applied the carnuba with no additional coats
did you apply the ZCS on top of the carnuba? or was he carnuba applied on top of the ZCS. i always thought zaino did not mix / bond very well with carnuba wax.

my car is also space grey metalic, u think the carnuba wax will enhance my zaino? my car looks incredible already!!!
Appreciate 0