E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > No boost?

11-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
deltalima0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

No boost?

Recently dealer replaced turbos under warranty, after car was running good for about 3 weeks. I went to go get some gas and got in it some and noticed no boost tried a few more times same thing nothing like the turbos were doing nothing. No sound, no whistle, bov made no noise, just nothing.

So I hooked up my cobb AP and found no codes. I then tried some pulls measuring boost nothing at all. When i did go wot the car would creep up to 4-5k and I would get a limp mode but the car ran the same no power or boost. I did finally get the 30FF code low boost. I could turn the car and off limp mode would go.

Took my car to my indie shop hoping it was a vacuum line or something from the FMIC or charge pipe but they smoked tested it replaced some vacuum lines and never saw any leaks and said it all made no sense should be getting boost and maybe it was the turbos and to take it back to the dealer.

Well I took it back to dealer and after having a couple days they said the vacuum pump turbo needs to be replaced. I have never really seen any posts on this is this plausible and does anyone have some knowledge on this? If so I would greatly appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

The vacuum pump is what supplies the vacuum needed to operate the wastegate actuators. If the pump isn't putting out what it should (25-30 in. hg), then the wategates might not close as they should.

I've personally never seen an N54 vacuum pump fail, but I guess anything is possible. Testing the vacuum control system is very easy if you know how the system works and what readings to look for.
      11-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
deltalima0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
The vacuum pump is what supplies the vacuum needed to operate the wastegate actuators. If the pump isn't putting out what it should (25-30 in. hg), then the wategates might not close as they should.

I've personally never seen an N54 vacuum pump fail, but I guess anything is possible. Testing the vacuum control system is very easy if you know how the system works and what readings to look for.
Thank you for the knowledge on this. I have zero mechanical skills I am going to have to rely on the dealer on this one.

But kind of like you said this is a first I have heard anything like this, and if it has come up on the forums before I have never seen it.

Just hoping it is on the up and up from the dealer and they did not botch a turbo install and say they need to replace something to get there money for labor needed to work on the turbos again.
Appreciate 0