E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Valve Cover Gasket or something else?

03-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
bigchieftaco
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Valve Cover Gasket or something else?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what symptoms you guys had when your VCG was failing. I know its a super common part to fail but I haven't had much time to actually verify its the issue.
I get instant burnt oil smell in the cabin, even on cold start when nothing is warm and I can smell it after it warms up too, just not as noticeable from inside (maybe I get used to it). You can also smell it from outside also. I haven't noticed any smoke yet, but haven't been able to get time to check very well.

Just curious what all it could be and what you guys think.
330xi 77k
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
401FlaGATOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i ZSP, F30 320i ZSP

That's a good clue, you could try taking off the engine cover to look for the leak you might see the gasket is leaking to confirm, but yes, mine smelled inside the cabin when it was leaking.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
bigchieftaco
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 401FlaGATOR View Post
That's a good clue, you could try taking off the engine cover to look for the leak you might see the gasket is leaking to confirm, but yes, mine smelled inside the cabin when it was leaking.
That's what I am hoping to do one of these nights.
If it is valve cover gasket, should be an easy weekend job huh?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

If it's a VCG and NOT an oil pan gasket - consider yourself lucky. VCG you can do as a DIY over the weekend, but oil pan gasket is PITA. Imho I would power wash engine bay if it's not too cold where you live currently and then check carefully where it's leaking from. If you'll see oil down below after powerwashing and driving a bit around - chances are oil pan is leaking too. You definitely have VCG leaking if you have smoke and smell, but that does not exclude oil pan gasket leaking as well. Might as well change oil filter housing gasket - much easier than VCG
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
yipronny
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92

started with the smell of burning oil in the cabin and occasional whiff of smoke...eventually started seeing white smoke coming out of the hood at stoplights...then when i would corner the car aggressively, oil will seep out and cause major smoke to come out of the oil as it drips down the pipes.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2017, 12:56 PM   #6
bigchieftaco
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yipronny View Post
started with the smell of burning oil in the cabin and occasional whiff of smoke...eventually started seeing white smoke coming out of the hood at stoplights...then when i would corner the car aggressively, oil will seep out and cause major smoke to come out of the oil as it drips down the pipes.
Thanks for the info. Mine is starting to smoke a bit, it's definitely dripping to exhaust manifold. A little embarrassing when people come over to look at my new car and all you smell is oil and see smoke

Getting a local indy shop to give me a quote, I'm lazy and hes always been great.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 04:20 AM   #7
andylb
Rep
Drives: e92 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchieftaco View Post
Thanks for the info. Mine is starting to smoke a bit, it's definitely dripping to exhaust manifold. A little embarrassing when people come over to look at my new car and all you smell is oil and see smoke

Getting a local indy shop to give me a quote, I'm lazy and hes always been great.
I had the same symptoms and it was vcg. I heard it's better to go with oem gasket rather than aftermarket as the aftermarket gaskets can fail quite quickly.
Appreciate 0