E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > What the fvck is wrong with Bostonians!?!

05-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #45
Spazdoc
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 C63S, 2001 S4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I just saw Brazil (old 80's movie of a dismal future) and it felt like it was about Boston.

If you want to change your plates, fill out a request for your new plates, send in the fee. Instead of having the plate mailed to you, you will receive the notification form that the plates have arrived at the RMV. Then, with the notification form, you contact your insurance company and obatin a stamped RMV-3 form. Wait for the form to be mailed to you, then take the RMV notification, RMV-3 and registration, to the designated RMV office. At their business hours.

Back in Chicago, fill out the request form with money, wait the prescribed number of weeks, and the plates come in the mail.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 11:29 PM   #46
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
here's my take of Boston/Bostonians.......

-corrupted (big dig is one good example)
-too conservative...everything is so old fashion
-alot of dumbass drivers + pedestrians

Last edited by ska///235i; 06-05-2007 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2007, 12:50 PM   #47
Spazdoc
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Oh, some other gripes that are making me fed up with Boston:

- The only major city, I have seen, that does not use sensors for the traffic lights to improve traffic

- Traffic lights at major intersections regularly break down (near the near the Haymarket T-stop is a prime example)

- What the heck is up with the gas pumps - there are no latches on the gas pumps, and THIS IS THE ONLY STATE THAT DOES THIS? I am regularly in Illinois, Jersey, CT, NY - all have latches. Why do I hate this - I cannot clean the windows or clean out the car while the gas is pumping. Why is it only in MA????

- DMV using special lines for different services, rather than a general first-come-first-served system. I went to pick up my plates, I was second in line, and it took 1.5 hours!!! All because the person dealing with my line decided to leave for a while right after a lunch break (to give him some credit, I think that he was moderately retarded). Apparently, nobody else could hand me a license plate.

- Almost getting run over while I bike in the city because people cannot use the brain power to figure out the turn signal concept

- Almost getting run over while I bike in the city because people cannot spare the brain power to figure out the red light concept
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2007, 07:31 PM   #48
EHDEN
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
Eh, too many bad days.. I can't take the drivers and Ma$$holes anymore..
u think its bad there? come drive down the 826 palmetto in Miami. the worst!
      07-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #49
Spazdoc
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
WTF!!!??? I just got my excise tax bill for the 335 - it is almost $1000!!!!!! What the hell is the reason for the excise tax??
I paid sales tax already!
I paid for registration!
I paid for custom plates, so I need to pay for plates every year!
There is already tolls on the roads and gas tax!

What do I get in return for all these taxes? The highest and worst auto insurance in the country. Otherwise, I am still trying to figure out how this state is any better than the ones I just left, for all these taxes.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 08:46 PM   #50
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazdoc View Post
WTF!!!??? I just got my excise tax bill for the 335 - it is almost $1000!!!!!! What the hell is the reason for the excise tax??
I paid for registration!

What do I get in return for all these taxes? The highest and worst auto insurance in the country. Otherwise, I am still trying to figure out how this state is any better than the ones I just left, for all these taxes.
welcome to taxachusetts. dont you just love it?

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 10:47 PM   #51
Spazdoc
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
welcome to taxachusetts. dont you just love it?
My wife is from Jersey, and I have spent some time there, as well (originally from Chicago, have lived in Texas and Arizona as well). The landscape and area is just fantastic, but all the red tape of living here is a serious . It isn't just the taxes, but just the way things run (I just got stuck in an endless loop on the highway coming out of braintree this evening - could not get onto the highway and there were no detours....).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #52
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Sweet a Mass hating thread.

Let's also state how it is funny that the Boston police do not know what a bomb is.

Also now I need to have health care no matter what? Hmm, wait when I lived in Florida everyone said Mass was so liberal. What a joke.
      07-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #53
Titania
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 xiT

Quote:
I paid for registration!

Yes, but you didn't pay TOWN tax in all that...that's what the excise tax is for. You get to pay it every year, too. Be sure they've valued your car correctly. They (the state, as excise tax values are set by the state) overvalued my car by $10k. I contested with the town and won...dropping my excise tax by about $300.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 10:11 AM   #54
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Im also just starting to get fed up with it here... and I've lived here all 21 years of my life...

I'm used to being around college campuses which is fine really... people are nice enough.... but I recently got a job/internship in downtown Boston near Back Bay, god these people really make me wanna move far far far far away from this city lol. Everyone is such a friggen dick head in the "professional" world. You say hi to someone you know and they don't answer like they're better than you, when in reality they're like a 5'1" queef that couldn't lift a feather or hold any sort of interesting conversation beyond the weather or food.

Im just done saying hi to people... you say hi to me that's fine, I'll talk to you.... but I'm not about to make an effort to befriend someone anymore because the people here all have some sort of complex like they're better than everyone, when really Boston is a tiny ass city with no club scene, no bar scene, no car scene, just a bunch of working class **** that have no idea how to have fun.

I do love the Red Sox, but ever since they won the world series, Fenway has been diluted with bandwagon family fans that don't know jack shit about baseball and who make the ticket prices go up to $80 a pop. I remember the days where we could smoke butts in the bleachers and swear at the outfielders without offending some *** rich mom and her annoying kids.

After I graduate I think I'm outta here as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 11:30 AM   #55
La Verdad
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Trust me, Boca Raton and most of South Florida is way worse. The people there were so bad I found myself literally in tears on the way home from school because of the way that they acted.
Boca maybe...but I would never in a million years trade S. Fl for Boston. The bars close so early in Boston, the people are idiots (anyone remember the big dig? i.e. the most expensive public works project in history that is billions over budget), front license plates suck, the people are the epitome of rude, the winters are freezing cold, the taxis are a rip off, the subway sucks and shuts down early, and the taxes are sky high.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #56
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
Im also just starting to get fed up with it here... and I've lived here all 21 years of my life...

I'm used to being around college campuses which is fine really... people are nice enough.... but I recently got a job/internship in downtown Boston near Back Bay, god these people really make me wanna move far far far far away from this city lol. Everyone is such a friggen dick head in the "professional" world. You say hi to someone you know and they don't answer like they're better than you, when in reality they're like a 5'1" queef that couldn't lift a feather or hold any sort of interesting conversation beyond the weather or food.

Im just done saying hi to people... you say hi to me that's fine, I'll talk to you.... but I'm not about to make an effort to befriend someone anymore because the people here all have some sort of complex like they're better than everyone, when really Boston is a tiny ass city with no club scene, no bar scene, no car scene, just a bunch of working class **** that have no idea how to have fun.

I do love the Red Sox, but ever since they won the world series, Fenway has been diluted with bandwagon family fans that don't know jack shit about baseball and who make the ticket prices go up to $80 a pop. I remember the days where we could smoke butts in the bleachers and swear at the outfielders without offending some *** rich mom and her annoying kids.

After I graduate I think I'm outta here as well.

Cheers to this post..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #57
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Verdad View Post
Boca maybe...but I would never in a million years trade S. Fl for Boston. The bars close so early in Boston, the people are idiots (anyone remember the big dig? i.e. the most expensive public works project in history that is billions over budget), front license plates suck, the people are the epitome of rude, the winters are freezing cold, the taxis are a rip off, the subway sucks and shuts down early, and the taxes are sky high.
Cheers to this post too..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #58
88BMW88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
here's my take of Boston/Bostonians.......

-corrupted (big dig is one good example)
-too conservative...everything is so old fashion
-alot of dumbass drivers + pedestrians
+1, especially #2, bostonians NEED to learn how to adopt new things.....

as far as #3, I am guilty of it, can't comment!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #59
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
It's sad since Boston could be a good city. If it just offered some more things, It would be easier to get pass the assholes.
      07-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #60
Spazdoc
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania View Post
Yes, but you didn't pay TOWN tax in all that...that's what the excise tax is for. You get to pay it every year, too. Be sure they've valued your car correctly. They (the state, as excise tax values are set by the state) overvalued my car by $10k. I contested with the town and won...dropping my excise tax by about $300.
Town tax? That is what sales tax is for....
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #61
Spazdoc
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
It's sad since Boston could be a good city. If it just offered some more things, It would be easier to get pass the assholes.
City? It dropped from 20th to 24th in the country for the last census.

They can't keep people here. Historically, there were little tax incentives for businesses to operate hare, so they set up shop somewhere else (New Jersy and big pharma is a good example). Plus, the social activities for the newly graduated are limited.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #62
Spazdoc
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania View Post
How do you contest it?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #63
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
I totally agree. The city of Boston itself is beautiful. I love the commons, public garden, financial district, Beacon Hill, Fanueil Hall, the North End, Back Bay. They're all excellent, scenic, historic areas. Too bad the people are so cold that they ruin everything. Haha.

I mean, not everyone's terrible. But the percentage of socially inept people here is much higher compared to other areas of the country. Its also the most educated region in the country due to all the colleges around. But that still doesn't change anything, or make anything better especially for someone who didn't grow up in NE, like Josh for example.

If I ever moved away I know I would miss everything about Boston. But I really think some change for a few years would be very, very good.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #64
Spazdoc
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
If I ever moved away I know I would miss everything about Boston. But I really think some change for a few years would be very, very good.
I am coming from downtown Chicago. It was stunning how similar Boston was to Chicago. The same landscape architect that did the Gardens and Commons did Lincoln Park in Chicago (the lakefront area just north of downtown), it is all on the water, there is an underground highway to bypass downtown to the lake, festivals all summer, etc.

Because of the similarities, I also focused on the differences. Since I live in North End right by the water, I am confronted by one of them biggest differences - the lack of beach in the downtown. It is all piers. Same with New York. In Chicago, almost every inch of lakefront is beach. Yes, they have tons of areas for boats and piers, but they placed inland of the beach or other designated areas. Also, the lack of significant nightlife made me a homebody over the last 3 years. Granted, I was doing residency, but I still went out during internship in Chicago. Sure, you also lose the plethora of seafood, but you get great beef and steakhouses (in fact, the seafood here is about the same prices, but just more common).
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 12:43 AM   #65
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
City? It dropped from 20th to 24th in the country for the last census.

They can't keep people here. Historically, there were little tax incentives for businesses to operate hare, so they set up shop somewhere else (New Jersy and big pharma is a good example). Plus, the social activities for the newly graduated are limited.
Granted, it has been an ongoing issue to keep the graduates from leaving. And just to keep people in general from leaving. But at the end of the day Boston is still a city. I see your point though. And I cant believe they dont understand why it is an issue. 3 Major things.

1. Cost of living
2. traffic which shouldnt exist according the the big dig
3. low amount of activities

Quote:
I totally agree. The city of Boston itself is beautiful. I love the commons, public garden, financial district, Beacon Hill, Fanueil Hall, the North End, Back Bay. They're all excellent, scenic, historic areas. Too bad the people are so cold that they ruin everything. Haha.

I mean, not everyone's terrible. But the percentage of socially inept people here is much higher compared to other areas of the country. Its also the most educated region in the country due to all the colleges around. But that still doesn't change anything, or make anything better especially for someone who didn't grow up in NE, like Josh for example.

You just hit the nail on the head. I am young but still find walking through the historical areas of Boston to be great. Knowing that Boston was a huge factor in the growth of our great country and being able to see these sites. Also the great buildings and areas. Just 2 weeks ago I walked all of North End sat on the pier with my girlfriend. It is a great place. But needs some more activities for when you dont feel like just walking around.

I agree about missing Boston also. But before recently I lived in the Orlando area of Florida. And it is an amazing place. Sure Boston especially in the summer is the best. But as stated it gets annoying and you just need a change.
      07-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #66
Titania
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 xiT

Quote:
How do you contest it?
A form, of course...

There's info on the back of your bill regarding how to contest. I had to fill out the form and provide both website links to BMWNA's MSRP and proof from the dealership.
Appreciate 0