E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Bluetooth in the E93

03-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
Sukey
Rep
Drives: E93 325i

Bluetooth in the E93

Apologies if this is a well worn topic, but...

Is it me, or is the microphone pickup on the car just PANTS?

I paid all the extra for bluetooth prep, as I use this car for work, so a hands-free mobile arrangement is helpful and necessary. However, if I am going at anything over 50mph, I am inaudible to someone the other end of the conversation. Ditto if it's raining and I'm at traffic lights, never mind driving. Ditto with a significant cross wind, etc etc...

I've seen some internet sites which suggest this is a reasonably well known issue, but the BMW dealership I talked to claim never to have heard of the problem and say it's not listed on their database for recall or upgrade. They've suggested it's my phone, but given that I've paired the car with, in succession a G1, a Blackberry Curve and now a Nexus S, as well as my partner's phone which is something else again and the issue is the same whether I am connecting to a mobile or a landline, I fancy the problem is the mic.

Anyone got any experience of this and of how to get an improved bit of kit under warranty?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Not specifically a BMW problem I don't think - poor mic pickup with in-car phone kits is usually down to the mic placement.

Would your dealer be willing to take a drive with you, and let you demonstrate the problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

and try and relocate the mic.. or add sound proofing around the back of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Funny you should mention this, whenever I need to call my dealer and it's transferred to his mobile I always think it sounds bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
atariboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 33I M-Sport Dec'11

I have a parrot bluetooth in my car and and with the roof down I have to slow down to about 5mph so people can hear me....its the price you pay for having the roof down
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
Sukey
Rep
Drives: E93 325i

I accept having the roof down will be noisy!

However, this is roof up. Looking on the US side of the forum, it appears that this IS a known problem and that BMW have fitted a bit of a cheap part, which can be upgraded for a much better bit of kit.

Located the mic to somewhere near the steering wheel - my partner says he can hear the indicator very loud and clear, even if he can't hear me. Hehehe..
Appreciate 0