E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anyone have 135i now 335? Thinking of 135i...

01-08-2011, 03:26 AM   #1
MarkRacerX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Anyone have 135i now 335? Thinking of 135i...

I enjoy the car and very nice on trips and such..but I miss having a manual and was thinking of going to a smaller, more agile 135i, I Love the N54 engine w/ no turbo lag, great TQ/HP. I think being smaller/lighter the 135i has some performance/handling potential over my 335Xi Sedan. Surely I will miss the Great Awd, but few months winter will be done.

Anyone come from 135i to 335? Reasons? Besides bigger car/ more room? Major differences? Options wise seem they both match up w/ same comforts.

Any feedback appreciated, I just feel my car is big/heavy/ boring, maybe I should of just went w/ a manual in 1st place..auto w/ paddles shifts were nice at 1st since different than all my prior manual cars I will say and said to run faster at drags w/ auto..but seems dull to just floor it all in all..

Thanks!
      01-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
I've both-- 135i and a 335is. I'll start with the most obvious difference: the design of the 1 series. The design of the 1 series is polarizing, some people hate it, but others love it. In my 3 years of ownership, I have received nothing but compliments about the car, but I have read comments on this board about how ugly it looks or the fact that it's a chick's car-- whatever that means. Such comments don't bother me, but if you've a thin skin, then you might wanna stick with your 3 series. The interior of the 3 series is more upscale-- seems to have nicer materials and neat storage compartments in the door etc. Also, some of the back seat passengers feel more comfortable in my 3 series.

Moving on to performance and handling. The 1 series is more tossable and faster in a straightline, but not as fast as my IS with dct. The edge goes to the 3 series on twisty roads where the short wheelbase of the 1series and its narrower front tires hamper handling.

I love them both. Drive the 1 series and see if it's right for you. Also, have you thought about the 1M? It might cure some of the 135i's well known understeer issues.

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
how ugly it looks or the fact that it's a chick's car-- whatever that means. Such comments don't bother me, but if you've a thin skin, then you might wanna stick with your 3 series.
On the two occasions I was given 128 loaners, I felt very embarassed driving them. Odd that I can confidently wear a pink shirt, that somehow the vehicle embarassed me. As if I couldn't afford a real BMW or maybe were driving a girl's car.

But objectively speaking, that stuff is in one's mind. There are people out there who drive X3's and don't feel they're girl's car and even feel they are real BMW's. What matters the most is what the owner feels, seriously.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Quote:
how ugly it looks or the fact that it's a chick's car-- whatever that means. Such comments don't bother me, but if you've a thin skin, then you might wanna stick with your 3 series.
On the two occasions I was given 128 loaners, I felt very embarassed driving them. Odd that I can confidently wear a pink shirt, that somehow the vehicle embarassed me. As if I couldn't afford a real BMW or maybe were driving a girl's car.

But objectively speaking, that stuff is in one's mind. There are people out there who drive X3's and don't feel they're girl's car and even feel they are real BMW's. What matters the most is what the owner feels, seriously.
Dont loaners come with excessive decals as well as a dealer plate to let everyone know it's not your car?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post
Dont loaners come with excessive decals as well as a dealer plate to let everyone know it's not your car?
At my original dealership no....the one that gave me the 128's. But at my new dealership, yes, has their website across the back glass....
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

The 135 is a really fun car to drive.The 335. is a bit heavier and just doesn't have that "there" feeling, when compared to the 335. The 335i is still a great car, though.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
chenx15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i/accord

Your problem is your Xdrive. I will get some flak over these. but the 135i is superior in handling and power feel to the 335xi. my biggest regret as a bmw owner was buying the xdrive because the car really felt very sluggish compared to the non x-drive and the feel difference is instant if you drive them back to back or even between long periods of time. For months i was in denial pretending my 335 xdrive feels like a BMW but when i can't stand the feel and handling anymore i 've decided to trade and loss $10k but it was so freaking worth it. the 135i will definitely be exponentially be lots more fun and has more speedier feel compared to the 335i xdrive. The RWD has the heart pounding rear wheel push. months after months of denial and defending the xdrive it really is not the BMW experience i was looking for.

Looks are subjective personally i like the look of the 1 series and i think it's the bias of 3 series/Audi owners that basically bad mouths the 135 looks

The weakness in my argument is the fact that i have never own or driven a 135. but i did drive a 128 without a sport suspension for three straight days and the feel and power delivery almost equivalent to the 335xdrive in my opinion and feel. i own a 335i MT now and the difference is night and day.

if you test drive a 135 chances are you will throw your 335 xdrive keys to the sales guy and take the 135 home because it is so much fun.

135 definitely more fun
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
I've both-- 135i and a 335is. I'll start with the most obvious difference: the design of the 1 series. The design of the 1 series is polarizing, some people hate it, but others love it. In my 3 years of ownership, I have received nothing but compliments about the car, but I have read comments on this board about how ugly it looks or the fact that it's a chick's car-- whatever that means. Such comments don't bother me, but if you've a thin skin, then you might wanna stick with your 3 series. Also, some of the back seat passengers feel more comfortable in my 3 series.
Ok first of all have you ever encountered someone that says your car is ugly??? Even during meets you would hardly hear ppl saying your car is ugly it doesnt matter what.

A friend of mine drives the 128 and asked me what I think and I said its ok but not my type, I don't like the design at all. IMO doesnt matter what you do with the car I think its ugly and I could careless even if it was the 1M. It can have 1000 HP still the same car.

Also I took a friend for a test drive on the 1 series and he is 6'2" I asked him to check the back, zero comfort, you prolly put a midget at the back for the person to say its comfortable.

So anyways to each of their own, you buy a car for yourself not for ppl to complement you.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenx15 View Post
Your problem is your Xdrive. I will get some flak over these. but the 135i is superior in handling and power feel to the 335xi. my biggest regret as a bmw owner was buying the xdrive because the car really felt very sluggish compared to the non x-drive and the feel difference is instant if you drive them back to back or even between long periods of time. For months i was in denial pretending my 335 xdrive feels like a BMW but when i can't stand the feel and handling anymore i 've decided to trade and loss $10k but it was so freaking worth it. the 135i will definitely be exponentially be lots more fun and has more speedier feel compared to the 335i xdrive. The RWD has the heart pounding rear wheel push. months after months of denial and defending the xdrive it really is not the BMW experience i was looking for.

Looks are subjective personally i like the look of the 1 series and i think it's the bias of 3 series/Audi owners that basically bad mouths the 135 looks

The weakness in my argument is the fact that i have never own or driven a 135. but i did drive a 128 without a sport suspension for three straight days and the feel and power delivery almost equivalent to the 335xdrive in my opinion and feel. i own a 335i MT now and the difference is night and day.

if you test drive a 135 chances are you will throw your 335 xdrive keys to the sales guy and take the 135 home because it is so much fun.

135 definitely more fun
I have an xi and agree. The XI is a trade off; it definitely hampers agility and does increase weight, and you do feel it.

As wih all AWD cars (you RWD people won't understand this concept), and 6MT -- ALL AWD cars with 6MT "bog" off the line; their power delivery to four wheels is laggy and this is rather annoying at ever stop light. Simply put, the wheels don't connect with the powertrain as 2 quickly wheel drive cars do.

These are the major disadvantages.

Obvious advantages are in winter; slip and slide baby, nothing like AWD + winter tires in snow!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAISKI View Post
Ok first of all have you ever encountered someone that says your car is ugly??? Even during meets you would hardly hear ppl saying your car is ugly it doesnt matter what.

A friend of mine drives the 128 and asked me what I think and I said its ok but not my type, I don't like the design at all. IMO doesnt matter what you do with the car I think its ugly and I could careless even if it was the 1M. It can have 1000 HP still the same car.

Also I took a friend for a test drive on the 1 series and he is 6'2" I asked him to check the back, zero comfort, you prolly put a midget at the back for the person to say its comfortable.

So anyways to each of their own, you buy a car for yourself not for ppl to complement you.
Yes, I know a lot of people that would say it to my face, they're my friends. Also, most of the compliments have come in the form of other bmw drivers who pull up beside me or blow their horns to get my attention and give me thumps up. Or 5-10 minutes conversations and questions about it at the mall or other places. Even if the compliments weren't genuine, who gives a flying f**k? It's my car and as long as I like, I don't care if someone else hates it.

The Power of M

Last edited by Smokey; 01-08-2011 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:52 AM   #11
MarkRacerX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
335Xi to 135i ...

Thanks for all the info , I appreciate hearing from everyone!

Def Winter has been very stress free and I have blizzaks too, does great! If anything I will hold out a few months til' winter passes and worry about next winter when the time comes. We get a fair amount of snow here in the Eastern WA. so will have to get a " Winter " car, also I just hate seeing my BMW soo filthy and winter is harsh times..

Yeah I can see, the 135i is a Love it or Hate it car, it is unique it that way.

I found a 2009 with only 2300 miles, as my 08' 335Xi has 38k and only 12k miles left of warranty. So if all works out, be nice to have lots of miles/years ahead left to be covered.

I like the 1 series M, just not looking to spend that much, hoping to do a trade close to straight across on the 2009 2300mi one I found.

Thanks for info!
      01-09-2011, 02:41 AM   #12
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
...As if I couldn't afford a real BMW or maybe were driving a girl's car.

...There are people out there who drive X3's and ...even feel they are real BMW's.
??? What ???

What is a "real" BMW? I have yet to find BMW making fake ones...

If by "real" you mean really expensive, then 3er isn't a real one either...

The 1er is just as much a BMW as the others, and perhaps more so than the 5er and 7er. You'll recall that BMW made it name building small, nimble sporty cars not huge luxury sedans. I'd say the 3er and 1er both are in line with BMW's pedigree.

The 1er's rear seats are a bit tight, particularly in the shoulder area, but otherwise it's a great car for daily driving and some occasional mountain purposes. Overall, the 3er handles a bit better, but I for one would have no issue driving a 1er every day instead of a 3er.

As for the "girls" car thing, that's just rubbish. Any car is a girl's car if a girl owns it. That's about it.

OP, good luck with your decision. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 03:23 AM   #13
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

I might be wrong, but if you had to buy an xi sedan in the first place, a 1 series isn't really an ideal replacement. Sure, winter will be gone in a few months, but what about the winter coming up after this one? You also suddenly lose a lot of passenger/cargo space.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
Straight6r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135I Msport

Quote:

Couldn't afford a real BMW? What the hell does that mean? It's obvious that you know nothing about the 1 series and that you are a prime example of why 3 series drivers are mostly considered to be assholes. Your a SNOB even though up unitl 2 years ago, you had the so called entry level Bimmer. For me, the cost difference between a 335I and 135I was only $130.00 a month. I spend more then that on Starbucks. Get over yourself!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6r View Post
Couldn't afford a real BMW? What the hell does that mean? It's obvious that you know nothing about the 1 series and that you are a prime example of why 3 series drivers are mostly considered to be assholes. Your a SNOB even though up unitl 2 years ago, you had the so called entry level Bimmer. For me, the cost difference between a 335I and 135I was only $130.00 a month. I spend more then that on Starbucks. Get over yourself!
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #16
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M6

both amazing cars. cant go wrong with the one. only downside is its smaller. loved driving my 1.
      01-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #17
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

335 to a 135 is a downgrade. Sure it might be .1 second faster to 60 but it just isn't worth it in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6r View Post

$130 a month adds up...If it is $130 a month and you factor in 36 months finance that is nearly $5000. That is about the MSRP difference between the 135i and 335i.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #18
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
335 to a 135 is a downgrade. Sure it might be .1 second faster to 60 but it just isn't worth it in the long run.
And you say that with driving experience facts to back it up? Or did you just read it on the internet?

As an owner of both a 328iT and a 128i, I would venture the opinion that while they are two different cars, neither is "superior". It simply depends on what one wants & needs in a BMW.

Performance is virtually equivalent and the main handling & ride differences involve the relative wheelbases. The shorter 1 feels more "tossable", but just as composed at high speeds and the longer 3 rides a bit more comfortably on longer trips. But my wife and I have done trips of up to 8,000 miles in the 128i and found it to be a perfect touring car.

And without the AWD, the 135i should perform significantly better than the 335xi - the real comaprison is the 335i coupe to the 135i coupe.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #19
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

[quote=tony20009;8648679]??? What ???
What is a "real" BMW? I have yet to find BMW making fake ones...
[quote]

Maybe John meant the MINI.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #20
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
And you say that with driving experience facts to back it up? Or did you just read it on the internet?

As an owner of both a 328iT and a 128i, I would venture the opinion that while they are two different cars, neither is "superior". It simply depends on what one wants & needs in a BMW.

Performance is virtually equivalent and the main handling & ride differences involve the relative wheelbases. The shorter 1 feels more "tossable", but just as composed at high speeds and the longer 3 rides a bit more comfortably on longer trips. But my wife and I have done trips of up to 8,000 miles in the 128i and found it to be a perfect touring car.

And without the AWD, the 135i should perform significantly better than the 335xi - the real comaprison is the 335i coupe to the 135i coupe.

Tom
What is so great about the 1 series that someone needs to trade in their 3 series over it? Is it because someone wants a smaller trunk and smaller rear seats? Do you think this is a downgrade.. 7 series to a 5 series? Well that is basically what it is.

Anyways, why would someone buy a 1 series and a 3 series? That is practically buying the same car. It is just like someone on Audiworld who bought a 2011 S4 and a 2011 A4 in the same color.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #21
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep
Drives: 07 335i SG

WOW 130+$ Starbucks i guess ciggs/ tobacco are much worse..

to me the 1 series is "ok" I LOVE the 3- coupes

I wouldn't buy a model of car for only a 25% of a year..

Spokane gets decent snowfall, but the rest of the year is mostly dry.. unless you head East often through the ID./ MT. hills/

Id say dump the AWD.
      01-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #22
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling18 View Post
WOW 130+$ Starbucks in my book THATS stupid!

to me the 1 series "ok" i LOVE the 3- coupes

I wouldn't buy a model of car for only a 25% of a year..

Spokane gets decent snowfall, but the rest of the year is mostly dry.. unles you head West often through the ID./ MT. hills/

Id say dump the AWD.
You sir, really like emoticons.
Appreciate 0