E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > torn leatherette

06-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #23
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I had wear on my seats where the color was coming off and they straight up told me that unless the stitching was coming undone they would not replace it.
      06-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
The install is easy if you have the proper tools and next to impossible if you don't.

Any automotive upholstery shop can swap the cover out in a short time period.
This is spot on. I have replaced seat covers and foam on a few BMW seats over the years. It can be a PIA. It is much better to let an upholstery shop handle it for you. The tools needed are hog ring pliers and a heat gun. BMW seats covers are attached with hog rings (small copper or steel rings). The heat gun is used to gently heat the material to allow it to stretch a bit into place. I have successfully used zip ties in place of hog rings.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #25
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
This is spot on. I have replaced seat covers and foam on a few BMW seats over the years. It can be a PIA. It is much better to let an upholstery shop handle it for you. The tools needed are hog ring pliers and a heat gun. BMW seats covers are attached with hog rings (small copper or steel rings). The heat gun is used to gently heat the material to allow it to stretch a bit into place. I have successfully used zip ties in place of hog rings.
I've been there and done that too - twice - on E39s. Once to replace the seat occupancy sensor on the passenger seat. A second time to replace the foam on a driver's seat.

I'd still do it myself again if I had to instead of spending the money on a shop. The hog rings can be a PITA, but I never used special pliers (would have been much easier if I did). On the second job I used very small zip ties instead. It was leather both times so I didn't need a heat gun. Leatherette could definitely be a different animal.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #26
nelnelxd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

ha I am surprised this thread came back up. Luckily I had this fixed my BMW. Very happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #27
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelnelxd View Post
do they replace the whole seat? i wonder if i paid the difference if i could get sport seats?
If you are willing to pay for the sport seats, you can have them installed. You can also have the installer provide the original seats, along with any fasteners and what not, and you can try to sell them on eBay or something. There is probably someone out there who wants them. If you don't find a buyer for them in a time period that suits you, you can just call the bulk trash pickup folks and they'll come get them.

The covering from the regular seats won't fit the sport seats, but that has nothing to do with your being entitled to have the crack covered under warranty, if the car still has such coverage. You are entitled to the repair, regardless of whether you buy the sport seats.

You can ask the installer about that difference thing you mentioned, but I'm pretty they'll say, "no." If it's a BMW dealer, there is no so called "difference" to them because BMW Corp is going to reimburse them fro the warranty repair. The dealer is merely acting as an agent of BMW Corp.; the dealer is not the one indebted to you for performing the repair/replacement. If it's not a BMW dealer, there's still no difference because that installer wouldn't even be an authorized agent of BMW Corp.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #28
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

So I went to the stealer yesterday for this and some other issues. They reported that not only could they not cover the tear under warranty (deemed wear), if I wanted to pay out of pocket it'd be $1200.
      06-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #29
Colo M/Sport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 M / Sport

I replaced a seat cover in my old 330 last year (torn bolster). The upholstery guy charged me $250. He ordered the replacement from a company that matches the leather color and it is perfect. He was even recommended by the dealer - I got the impression they couldn't touch that price.
Appreciate 0