E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Waiting Vessel - West Coast

01-27-2006, 12:11 AM   #45
Tova
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

This wait is killing me.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 01:22 AM   #46
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Me too... ho hum... gotta buy more car wash stuff:

Bucket with grit guard - $16
Genuine Wool Mit - $12
Big Blue II Waffle Weave Towel - $25

Gotta shop around for auto insurance too.
Call my SA to NOT detail my car.
Make sure my financing is straight.
Line up my window tint appointment.
Burn some DVD Mp3s and have them ready when I drive off.
Get my Ipod Nano car accessories.

Wonder what else I could be missing before the big day.

Oh, and forgot to add, I've got a box with my blacklines sitting in them, just waiting to be installed.

Tools for install.
Read up on the DIY.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 01:52 AM   #47
Tova
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Hey, I recommend getting a microfiber hand mitt instead. Dirt and small particles easily build up in wool mits. Anyways, my agenda seems very similar to yours, hah. I was shopping around for car insurance the other day, got that locked down. Calling my financing company this weekend to make sure things will be good to go when picking up my vehicle. I have rear 12mm spacers waiting here and yellow fog lights. And, I'll tell you what, I have been debating about the blackline tailights for a long time now. At first, I liked them alot because they seemed to have fixed the E90 rear "problem" but to be honest, after seeing the stock rear in photos and in person many times now, I have concluded that the original lights are classier and do look good after all. The blacklines are great for a sportier look though. Just my .02. But yah, I'm psyched dude!

Eye candy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 06:13 PM   #48
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Man, everyone seems to be on the fence about the wool vs microfiber mitts. I've got some nice microfiber ones that I was going to return because DavidN said the wool ones are better. I should probably get a poll going... hmmm...

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 09:00 PM   #49
zzzzzzzzzv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i

i say just get both and see which works better.. i ordered some sheepskin ones from pakshak. my pressure washer came today and im picking up the cr spotless system next week. i should hold a car wash meet at my house for those in sd lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 09:25 PM   #50
TeacherDK
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '06 325i

Aphall - Why no dealer detail?

Fellow Civic Owner (soon to be Jet Black bimmer - YES!!!!),

Just curious why you're not having the dealer detail your car. I was going to have them do it. Is it not advisable? If you're going to do it yourself what wax are you planning on using and how are you planning on washing your car (how often and with what products). My Civic is silver, so I have no idea how to care of a black car. I plan on keeping this car for quite sometime so I want to take good care of it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I realize our Jet Black cars are going to get dirty, and quick, but how good does it look when it's clean?! DAMN GOOD!! Let me know what you think. Thanks. Only about two weeks left until we move up to the "Ultimate Driving Experience!" Can't wait!

Last edited by TeacherDK; 01-27-2006 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #51
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherDK

Fellow Civic Owner (soon to be Jet Black bimmer - YES!!!!),

Just curious why you're not having the dealer detail your car. I was going to have them do it. Is it not advisable? If you're going to do it yourself what wax are you planning on using and how are you planning on washing your car (how often and with what products). My Civic is silver, so I have no idea how to care of a black car. I plan on keeping this car for quite sometime so I want to take good care of it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I realize our Jet Black cars are going to get dirty, and quick, but how good does it look when it's clean?! DAMN GOOD!! Let me know what you think. Thanks. Only about two weeks left until we move up to the "Ultimate Driving Experience!" Can't wait!
Well, my Civic is Purple... don't ask.. I had no choice in picking the color because I got it used and as a hand me down.

As for having the dealer detail the car, I've heard from several people here that the dealers often times don't put much care/thought into detailing your car. This leads to horrible swirls in the paint, or worse, scratches!! Therefore, I'll be detailing it myself on day one. Though my dealer claims they hire a professional third party to detail and that it's valued at $100 dollars, that means I won't get clay bar treatment or the time required to do the job right the first time.

As for products, there are plenty of reviews in the Wash and Detailing Forum. Personally, I've already bought myself Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) and Klasse All in One (AIO). People also like Zaino products. I decided to try Klasse first because it seems easy to apply and will last for at least 4-6 months. I want to keep my car looking good with the least amount of effort. I think I'll plan to wash and maybe Quick Detail (QD) my car every two weeks until I have to reapply my Klasse. Also, Klasse is good for your Rims.

There you have it. I usually wash my Civic once every 3 months. So every 2 weeks is going to be a challenge.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #52
TeacherDK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphall
Well, my Civic is Purple... don't ask.. I had no choice in picking the color because I got it used and as a hand me down.

As for having the dealer detail the car, I've heard from several people here that the dealers often times don't put much care/thought into detailing your car. This leads to horrible swirls in the paint, or worse, scratches!! Therefore, I'll be detailing it myself on day one. Though my dealer claims they hire a professional third party to detail and that it's valued at $100 dollars, that means I won't get clay bar treatment or the time required to do the job right the first time.

As for products, there are plenty of reviews in the Wash and Detailing Forum. Personally, I've already bought myself Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) and Klasse All in One (AIO). People also like Zaino products. I decided to try Klasse first because it seems easy to apply and will last for at least 4-6 months. I want to keep my car looking good with the least amount of effort. I think I'll plan to wash and maybe Quick Detail (QD) my car every two weeks until I have to reapply my Klasse. Also, Klasse is good for your Rims.

There you have it. I usually wash my Civic once every 3 months. So every 2 weeks is going to be a challenge.

I appreciate your response. Thank you very much.

As for the dealer not detailing your car... what exactly WILL the dealer be doing to your car when they receive it at the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 03:29 AM   #53
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I appreciate your response. Thank you very much.

As for the dealer not detailing your car... what exactly WILL the dealer be doing to your car when they receive it at the dealership?
Well, they gotta wash it, take all the plastic off of it when it rolls off the truck, and then I suppose they were going to give it a good wax job. I know some people won't take delivery here unless ALL the plastic was still on the car. I guess that would be the only way to make sure they don't touch it. I think that I can at least let them do that, but I don't want them to wash it with a $0.99 towel and a dirty bucket of water. You know?? You just never know what those service monkeys do in the back with your car.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #54
Carl
Private
Rep
Drives: e91 red loaded

Ship is scheduled to Dock this Saturday!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 08:42 PM   #55
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
Ship is scheduled to Dock this Saturday!
Which one, Hual Tokyo? I thought it was due at Port Hueneme on 2/6?
      01-31-2006, 09:18 AM   #56
Carl
Private
Rep
Drives: e91 red loaded

The port website had it scheduled (Hual T) to arrive two days early
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2006, 09:24 AM   #57
pres9544
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i production 1/2/06

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Nice ......very nice
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2006, 09:10 PM   #58
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
The port website had it scheduled (Hual T) to arrive two days early
Awesome.. totally awesome!!

02-01-2006, 08:09 PM   #59
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I sent the following email to my SA today:

How have you been? I've been checking the shipping logs, and I see that the HUAL TOKYO is arriving a couple days early. Do you anticipate receiving the car by next weekend? Also, I've got an odd request for you. Can you please make sure that when you receive the car at the dealer that you do not detail the car? I plan on detailing the car myself when I take delivery and don't want to have to strip the wax off the car right away.

And then this is the response I get:

Yes, your request is unusual, I will make sure it is not touched. There is some processing at the port to remove the cosmoline.
I expect to deliver your car around the 13th. It's showing to arrive the 7th at the port.

So, there it is folks... the 13th... man, that sucks. A Monday, and I've been pulling 13 hour days at work. I'm going to make an early excuse for Monday... hopefully I can get off and get down to the dealer and sign all my papers. Do you think she'll let me wait until Saturday to take delivery?

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2006, 08:38 PM   #60
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I don't understand not letting the dealer clean the car up for you? I seriously doubt that virtually ANY BMW dealer is going to do a crappy PDI job. BMW/Benz/Lexus etc customers are too anal and have very high expectations on the whole, there's no way that any of 'em would get away with anything but an awesome presentation at delivery. Means to much to the dealer/customer relationship moving forward. They're certainly not going to hurt the car, worst case scenario is maybe the car isn't ready for the local concors d'elegance or whatever the hell those snooty shows are called. Let'em do it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.. and save yourself a lot of manual labor.
      02-02-2006, 12:30 AM   #61
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Well, here's part of the deal. If they wax my car, I'll have to strip the wax all over anyway. Rather get the Klasse on there right from the get go and not have to worry about doing it down the road. I've heard some horror stories about killer swirl marks in the paint on delivery as well, and rather not risk it. I'm ready for the manual labor. Got all the supplies ready for day 1, so I figure, might as well.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 12:43 AM   #62
zzzzzzzzzv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i

i would never let the dealer touch my car..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 02:58 AM   #63
TeacherDK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphall
Well, here's part of the deal. If they wax my car, I'll have to strip the wax all over anyway. Rather get the Klasse on there right from the get go and not have to worry about doing it down the road. I've heard some horror stories about killer swirl marks in the paint on delivery as well, and rather not risk it. I'm ready for the manual labor. Got all the supplies ready for day 1, so I figure, might as well.
I'm right there with you, Aphall. It's not that I don't trust the dealer, but that I've waited a long time for this day to come, and am going to take pride in keeping my car looking it's best! I chose to go with Zaino, and why not start from the get-go. I'm going the whole nine yards... rinse off thoroughly, Zaino Z-7 wash down, air dry (MF waffle weave any water remnants), clay bar, Zaino ZFX/Z-2 Pro sealant (two coats), Z-6 wipe down. It should take a good while, but it will be well worth it! The days are numbered now... only about a week until it arrives!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 03:04 AM   #64
TeacherDK
Rep

No front bumper drilling...

Forgot to mention that my dealer is not drilling holes on the front bumper (for the front license plate), via my request. Illegal... yes. Worth the clean look of that stellar lookin' BWW grill... without question. Also, debadging to finish off that classy, clean look. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #65
brian32e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Alpine White 330i ZSP

Yeah no kidding...drilling holes sucks. I requested that my car not get drilled either but I'm probably going to call back and remind them when the car gets into port.

btw my SA told me they once had a ship sink which had a few of their sold cars aboard...knock on wood. I'd hate to have to wait another few months
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #66
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
...clay bar, ...
Good grief, you're going to clay bar a brand new paint job? Why on earth would you do that? It's a daily driver car, not a $1.2 million Barrett-Jackson trailer queen for cryin' out loud!