E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How to adjust headlight angle?

02-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #287
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
The pattern should look something like this for left hand drive cars. Otherwise, you'd blind oncoming traffic.
Which, to point out, the left and right are level and both have a step in the middle of the beam.

Most aiming guides I've seen have left and right aimed the same when using our beam pattern. The step in the middle of the pattern takes care of right being "higher" than left. HIDs are very wide and the left side of the right light's pattern would still dazzle oncoming drivers if it was higher.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #288
DC Bec
King Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 5501 M Sport

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Need to change pic I'm now in a e93

Hello this is DC Bec my DD is 07 e93
Cabrio. Thanks to Evo _ S4 for the picks re the Vertical Adjustment screw. Is there a screw to adjust the horizontal position ive heard its in back of the hd light housing. Cannot locate it. ie. with light switch on auto when I turn steering to the left the pathway lighting comes on in 1/2 turn of the wheel. Turning Rt steering wheel rotates 1 1/3 times b4 pathway lighting comes on. Does anyone hv a pic of the screw to adjust the drivers side light to bring drivers side xenon in towards center. I'm blinding folks didnt want to go to stealership.
Any info is appreciated. Thanks

DC Bec

PS will update pic to my e93

Last edited by DC Bec; 07-18-2013 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: Need to change pic
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 05:06 AM   #289
blackturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthoj View Post
I'm not sure if anyone posted pics for E92. I've taken the liberty to take photos of my own in case anyone wanted to see it. Red arrows indicate the screws to adjust headlight height. I have yet to find the location for left and right adjustment though. Anyone knows?

Thank you so much, I understand it's normal to have the driver side light lower, but it just felt way too low to me. My other friends thought the same. It got so annoying. I'm so pleased to find your post of the pic for the e92, now my lights are way way better
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 06:41 AM   #290
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackturbo View Post
Thank you so much, I understand it's normal to have the driver side light lower, but it just felt way too low to me. My other friends thought the same. It got so annoying. I'm so pleased to find your post of the pic for the e92, now my lights are way way better
It's not surprising to find the driver's side lower, but it does not need to be and that isn't the specification. The pattern of the lights (when aimed properly) is supposed to take care of not dazzling oncoming drivers. Generally the lights are either a check-mark or step pattern which is higher on the passenger side.

This should be required reading: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/images/Aim.pdf

Furthermore, I have seen various BMWs that print the aiming spec right in the plastic of the housing. An F10 I was recently driving says 1% - so the oncoming-facing part of the pattern should drop 1" for every 100" ahead. (Or 3" over 25', just like Daniel Stern's guide says).

Use Stern's process to ensure that your lights are pointed straight ahead by sighting from the rear of the car, then adjust for 1% down angle, and enjoy. Generally I find factory and dealer-adjusted lights are set too low.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #291
KU Ned
Rep
Drives: 11 328i X-Drive M-Sport, 98 M3

Trouble with aiming lights

So I found the height adjustment last night but it stops a t a certain point. Still significantly too low. Approximately half the height of the photo on previous page on the driver side (left). Tried lowering beam then turning off and on to reset and raising but only get so hard.

Any suggestion?
      09-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #292
SBE92LCI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320d LCI

Just thought I'd say thanks to everyone who have collectively contributed to this thread.

The reason being is that I had a new headlight fitted however the technician who fitted it obviously forgot to check the vertical alignment as the new headlight was positioned WAY too low (I can only assume because they fitted the headlight in the day and didn't think to check properly).

After driving around for a couple of days to check I wasn't going mad, I was sure of the misalignment. This evening I searched for the fix on Google and this thread came up. After reading and about 2 minutes of fiddling, my headlights are now perfectly aligned with the beam being much, much more consistent - easiest fix ever!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #293
woody0287
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i xdrive

Thanks for the help! Worked in seconds

I just purchased my first BMW, a 2010 335i xdrive. Love it so far but there are a few things BMW seemed to go cheap on like the stock stereo system and lack of parking sensors/backup camera as a standard feature. With that said, I love this car! The one xenon was angled down at the ground, and thanks to this post I was able to fix it in under a minute! I appreciate the help! About to dive into a DIY backup camera install and speaker upgrade this week, hopefully it goes well
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #294
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

I know this is a old thread but what controls the auto level in our headlights my driver side light goes up about 75% of the but turns left right just fine. Plus I have error message it reads left cornering light malfunction e90 2009 lci 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #295
GoBlue3785
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Just want to chime in on this thread, as I recently had to adjust my headlights after installing Eibach Pro Kit and Koni shocks. The vertical headlight sensor is located on the rear suspension and connects to the subframe. When you drop your car, the trailing arm is now closer to the subframe than at stock ride height, and the sensor *thinks* you have a very heavy load in the trunk/rear seat. The car does not have a vertical sensor on the front axle, so it doesn't know that the car is actually level. Thus, the auto-leveling points the headlights downward after a drop, thinking that the rear of the car is sagging. I had to adjust my headlights about four turns counter clockwise, and now I can see again.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #296
CoastsideE90
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Never thought I'd be writing on a thread started nearly 9 years ago, but the info is just as good now as it was then.

Like many others, I felt my LCI E90 335i xenon low beams were just a tad too low.

Read this thread: 20 minutes. Parked in parking garage and did the 25' test: 5 minutes. Adjusted both sides 1 turn CCW (up): 1 minute. The difference: literally night and day.

What made about a 4" difference on the wall at 25' puts the beams way further down the road while driving. In fact, if anything, I may have to dial it back a quarter turn to be sure I'm not flashing oncoming traffic. I have the normal __/__/ pattern, but just angled where it should be now.

I'm fairly sure my lights were at the original factory settings. As somebody said, BMW was probably just being conservative about not zapping oncoming traffic, but now my lights really perform how I feel high-end xenons should.

Thanks again to this forum!

2010 E90 335i | Alpine White/Saddle/Light Walnut | ZSP, ZPP, ZCW
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #297
christafurr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 M-Sport

Quote:
The pattern should look something like this for left hand drive cars. Otherwise, you'd blind oncoming traffic.

I see the left step, but where is the right step?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #298
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

What do you mean the right step?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #299
christafurr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 M-Sport

Quote:
What do you mean the right step?
Both of my lights have the __/ __/ when i shine it on the wall, but for yours I'm only seeing one of the __/
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #300
Alan335Xi
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by christafurr View Post
Both of my lights have the __/ __/ when i shine it on the wall, but for yours I'm only seeing one of the __/
look closer
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #301
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastsideE90 View Post
Never thought I'd be writing on a thread started nearly 9 years ago, but the info is just as good now as it was then.

Like many others, I felt my LCI E90 335i xenon low beams were just a tad too low.

Read this thread: 20 minutes. Parked in parking garage and did the 25' test: 5 minutes. Adjusted both sides 1 turn CCW (up): 1 minute. The difference: literally night and day.

What made about a 4" difference on the wall at 25' puts the beams way further down the road while driving. In fact, if anything, I may have to dial it back a quarter turn to be sure I'm not flashing oncoming traffic. I have the normal __/__/ pattern, but just angled where it should be now.

I'm fairly sure my lights were at the original factory settings. As somebody said, BMW was probably just being conservative about not zapping oncoming traffic, but now my lights really perform how I feel high-end xenons should.

Thanks again to this forum!

Totally agree!! My first ride at night in my 335 in the city was good, but as soon as I got out of the city limits I was like "did my head lights burned out just now??" Gonna readjust according to that 25' wall method and hopefully I can tell the difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #302
Spot89
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328

I just adjusted my lights... At first the headlight adjustment looked dim and adjustment was dismal for focal length and brightness. Once I played with the l/r adjustment it was like night and day with regards to the brightness. Thank you to those who have posted for the adjustment.

Personally, living in Ontario Canada; I would blame the roads, potholes, and other road defects for my lights coming out of alignment. That being said it feels great having a resolution to this problem that can be fixed at home.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #303
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot89 View Post
I just adjusted my lights... At first the headlight adjustment looked dim and adjustment was dismal for focal length and brightness. Once I played with the l/r adjustment it was like night and day with regards to the brightness. Thank you to those who have posted for the adjustment.

Personally, living in Ontario Canada; I would blame the roads, potholes, and other road defects for my lights coming out of alignment. That being said it feels great having a resolution to this problem that can be fixed at home.
Can some one let me know how to adjust the vertical head light levels for both left and right? Is it in the engine compartment or is it near the rear wheel? I am kind of confused here...

Edit: I have a Pre-LCI E92

Last edited by Prissy; 07-01-2014 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #304
Spot89
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot89 View Post

Can some one let me know how to adjust the vertical head light levels for both left and right? Is it in the engine compartment or is it near the rear wheel? I am kind of confused here...

Look through previous pages in the thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #305
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissy View Post

No offense, but you should probably read the thread instead of posting the same question the thread is about....
Not to be rude or anything, but why in the world would the HEADLIGHT adjustment be in the rear?
It's in the engine compartment. Very easy to find, just based on the pictures in this thread on the first page even though that was for an e90.

I see you're too lazy so here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthoj View Post

08-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #306
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

Does anyone know the OEM cutoff higher for the xenon lights?

Longgggg story but mine are aimed sky high now so they need to be adjusted down to the proper level.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #307
Markham
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive

Back from the dead. SORRY!

For some reason my passenger side headlight will not raise high at all. It will go up and down but when I keep turning it just stops. Any idea why it won't go up? It doesn't look damaged.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #308
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markham
Back from the dead. SORRY!

For some reason my passenger side headlight will not raise high at all. It will go up and down but when I keep turning it just stops. Any idea why it won't go up? It doesn't look damaged.
Internal adjustment is broken
Appreciate 0