E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Leaking boost.......Videos inside.

02-10-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Leaking boost.......Videos inside.

Here see for yourselves.

The digital camera has crappy mic on it, so I'm not sure everyone can hear what I'm talking about......

Pay attention to my boost gauge (gas gauge), it's pegged at only 12psi going WOT from 3rd to 4th........

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Here see for yourselves.

The digital camera has crappy mic on it, so I'm not sure everyone can hear what I'm talking about......

Pay attention to my boost gauge (gas gauge), it's pegged at only 12psi going WOT from 3rd to 4th........

what could it be...i hate searching for boost leak!!! hope urs is something simple!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm not sure.....it's VERY frustrating to not have my car run right.....

Before the exhaust, I was pulling 15-16psi consistently. Now, only 12psi

It's gotta be something in the exhaust connection. So that what led me to believe that it MIGHT be the gaskets......

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
Alessandro
Major
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Garage List
2011 335is  [9.50]
i highly doubt the gaskets are leaking as you would not loose 2 psi if you had a small leake at the gasket area.

Check your CP and all the connections around the IC there there must be something wrong there, did you check your diverter valves?

But then again what do i know

Good luck
08 E92 335i FBO 6MT 427 whp space grey
05 E46 M3 red
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

yeah try to do as well a REAL log
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

the only way you'll ever know if its a boost leak is to actually do a boost leak test with an good boos leak testing device. pressurize your system up to 20psi and use a squirt bottle with soapy water on your connections to check for bubbles - easiest most efficient way of getting your leak. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Dude you were right about the DV....I have AA bov and I just notices on the way to school today that the hissing is coming from there! So I'm assuming that the bov isn't closing all the way under WOT.....

If it is my bov, how can I fix it? I was thinking about changing my cp setup.....

TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
i highly doubt the gaskets are leaking as you would not loose 2 psi if you had a small leake at the gasket area.

Check your CP and all the connections around the IC there there must be something wrong there, did you check your diverter valves?

But then again what do i know

Good luck

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I did , but I sent it to Shiv a couple days ago. I didn't post because I don't know if it okay yet to post beta map results/datalog.....

I still have it saved, according to the log. I was only hitting 12.7psi at WOT.......

I'll try to post that later as I think it's okay now to post things related to the DIC maps......

thanks for all your help guys!! Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
yeah try to do as well a REAL log

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
Alessandro
Major
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [9.50]
just put your stock CP back with the stock diverters shouldnt take longer then 20 - 30 minutes and run again this is what i would do.

Quote:
Dude you were right about the DV....I have AA bov and I just notices on the way to school today that the hissing is coming from there! So I'm assuming that the bov isn't closing all the way under WOT.....

If it is my bov, how can I fix it? I was thinking about changing my cp setup.....

TIA
05 E46 M3 red
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

What's the point of doing that? Is it just to make sure that the leak was actually my bov?

I mean, I'm FBO, so I would like to stay ways from the stock cp and dv.....

So besides that, is there any other way to fix it? Or do I just have to get a new cp with dv or bov?

TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
just put your stock CP back with the stock diverters shouldnt take longer then 20 - 30 minutes and run again this is what i would do.

Quote:

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
Alessandro
Major
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
What's the point of doing that? Is it just to make sure that the leak was actually my bov?

I mean, I'm FBO, so I would like to stay ways from the stock cp and dv.....

So besides that, is there any other way to fix it? Or do I just have to get a new cp with dv or bov?

TIA
then at least you know 100% that the bov is leaking and you can try to fix the BOV
05 E46 M3 red
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

What's the fix?

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
glad you found your leak.... I like to wire tie my DV's to stock charge pipe. I lace 2 ties together and it helps keep them from blowing out under 14+psi. I ran 19psi quite well this way but always lost some boost from the DV inlet hole around the edges. I found 1 psi instantly when I upgraded my charge pipe and turned the target down by 1psi and get the same performance, just less wastegate duty. Those damn connectors are hard to figure out... when the arrows are lined up it means they are locked in place.
      02-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #14
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

Quote:

TIA
Hissing coming from your BOV could be normal, unless the hissing is during WOT too. But at partial throttle and idle, the BOV/DV on our car is open and venting air into the atmosphere. (or into your intake with DV)

02-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep

Which in turn makes me wonder if recirculating the BOV/DV air back into the intake would cause slightly lower IAT's since the air that is being put back into the intakes has already gone thru the intercooler?
      02-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #16
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yea it's hissing at WOT, and I'm well aware that the bov is open at idle. It's like hearing the engine sound and the turbos spools at low to mid rpms, but as soon as I go WOT, there's a loud hissing sound on top of the engine and turbo noise.....

I wish I had a better camera with a better mic.....it's really obvious when I'm in the car, even with windows up.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysandro View Post
Quote:

TIA
Hissing coming from your BOV could be normal, unless the hissing is during WOT too. But at partial throttle and idle, the BOV/DV on our car is open and venting air into the atmosphere. (or into your intake with DV)

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Anyone know what the bet way to test for boost leaks on a BOV? meaning, checking to see if it closes all the way under full throttle?

Can I just rev my car in place and hold it at certain rpms and tell that way?

Reason I ask is because HPF said the beat way to test for that is to strap my car on a dyno and see how it holds under full load.....is that really the only way?

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #18
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also, do you guys know if the WG has anything to do with this loud hissing sound?

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #19
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

As others said, just go back to stock diverter valves and see if the problem is fixed.

If the problem is fixed then you know your aftermarket part is defective.

To fix it depends on whats wrong with it. It could be several things.

You can run stock diverter valves with FBO, its not a big deal, you will still make the same power and everything.

Also...

If you get a log and post it up of your WG duty cycle that will explain everything.

Along with boost RPM, TPS, ignition, ignition correction.

Just to reiterate, go back to stock DV to see if the problem is fixed. Then contact AA to see how to fix the defective part or send it back.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #20
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I just talked to AA amd they said that it can leak from the normal wear and tear. Also the BOV is still the spring and diaphragm setup, unlike the synapse or hks.....

Anyway, AA said if the BOV indeed is the culprit, then he can just sell me a BOV horn. Since I'm past the warranty they can't do much for me....

The horn itself is 275 according to AA......not including shipping.

So I'm thinking if it's the bov, then I'll just switch my setup to Stett with meth bungs and synapse BOV or forged DVs.......

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #21
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep

Quote:
Anyone know what the bet way to test for boost leaks on a BOV? meaning, checking to see if it closes all the way under full throttle?

Can I just rev my car in place and hold it at certain rpms and tell that way?

Reason I ask is because HPF said the beat way to test for that is to strap my car on a dyno and see how it holds under full load.....is that really the only way?

TIA
Can you actually see your BOV opening and closing if someone else is revving it? If so have someone else rev the car and you take a look at how the BOV is acting. Should be closing under heavier loads.

02-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #22
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

^I think that's what I'm gonna do to see first. Before spending $125 or more at HPF for their time.....

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0