E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Performance Power Kits for 135i and 335i Special Price Until End of 2011

09-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #221
doubleIN
atlien
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun1122 View Post
Just called Santa Barbara BMW and they told me $406 for installation. They claimed they had to replace the DME. I told them thanks but no thanks.

Has anyone found anything reasonable in Central/Southern California?
why would they have to replace the DME? isn't the DME just getting reprogrammed with this upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #222
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport w/PPK

Quote:
Just called Santa Barbara BMW and they told me $406 for installation. They claimed they had to replace the DME. I told them thanks but no thanks.

Has anyone found anything reasonable in Central/Southern California?
They are full of crap, they don't have to replace the DME. It is amazing how little some of these dealerships know about the products that BMW is marketing. It is all software changes, nothing more. My dealer said I would be their first install and quoted me $757 out the door.

However, this is strange. They told me it would take 10 days to receive a red envelope containing the "kit" from Germany.

It only contains an access code, instructions and an under hood badge!

2011 E92 335i LCI 6MT, M-sport pkg, Black Sapphire, Nav, Comfort Access, 19" Style 230s, Harmon Kardon, Bluetooth, M3 Lip Spoiler, GPT 7500k Fogs, BMW PERFORMANCE POWER KIT.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #223
Shogun1122
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleIN View Post
why would they have to replace the DME? isn't the DME just getting reprogrammed with this upgrade?
That's what I said. She came back with "We have done a bunch of these already and that's how long it takes". She then went on to say that one car took over 12 hours!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #224
doubleIN
atlien
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
That's what I said. She came back with "We have done a bunch of these already and that's how long it takes". She then went on to say that one car took over 12 hours!
people here have posted that it may take longer if your car's software is not up to date, but it looks like you have a 2011 car so your software should be up to date or close to it

I would just call other dealers in your area, must be lots in so cal right? we have a just a few dealers here in Atlanta. the one close to me quoted me $930 with 2+ hrs of labor and no BMWCCA discount. one farther away quote me $720 with 1 hr labor max even if it does take longer, and a 10% discount for BMWCCA membership
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #225
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

My SA- Daryl Kwock at South Bay BMW- just quoted me $774 plus tax. So $599 for the tune, $175 install and then tax. So I'm leaning toward the tune from Stevens Creek for $534 shipped, the $175 install for a total of $709, not bad!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #226
pdub335
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335 e92

Has anyone ordered from the bmwusa website, the installed package and just go into the dealer and present their order to the SA? I'm thinking about doing this, since they offer it for $760, but don't want to get into some debate when i get there that they can't honor that price. When i called, they didn't know much about this offer or even if they offered it.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #227
kettasii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by htoudiee View Post
Does anyone know what BMW means by the badge? Are they referring to the PPK sticker under the hood or is there an actual badge somewhere outside the car?
There is a picture on the dealer website if you search for power kit. Cannot quite make it out, but looks like it is on the back of the car and it says "BMW Performance Edition". The one under the hood says "Power Kit". I guess we will see one on the road one of these days.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #228
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

yes it appears there is a badge
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #229
kettasii
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleIN View Post
people here have posted that it may take longer if your car's software is not up to date, but it looks like you have a 2011 car so your software should be up to date or close to it

I would just call other dealers in your area, must be lots in so cal right? we have a just a few dealers here in Atlanta. the one close to me quoted me $930 with 2+ hrs of labor and no BMWCCA discount. one farther away quote me $720 with 1 hr labor max even if it does take longer, and a 10% discount for BMWCCA membership
Shop around, and maybe wait a bit. There seems to be a lot of confusions. Also the dealer may be telling the truth. I had to leave my car overnight even though originally I was told I would have it back the same day. When I got it back, the paperwork says "Conversion failed. Disconnected battery overnight to reset, and then re-stalled."
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #230
kettasii
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootguy58 View Post
This is my first post on this site, as the new car is only a week old. We really missed our '98 528 stick when it sort of self distructed a few years ago. We said that we would never buy another, but here we are....with another stick, but that's a story for another day.

Can someone give me a "down and dirty rundown" on phase 1?
Final price/ part and labor
An objective and /or seat of the pants review
How is the "burble" integrated into a manual trans, if at all?
Is it a reasonable return on investment
As you gather from the postings here, installed price varies. I think it is up to each individual to decide if it is worthwhile. To me, the car seems more responsive. Less turbo lag? There is less delay/hesitation between each shift. (Yes, I have an auto.) I have not been pushing it, but a few passes on the freeway and around town felt stronger. The car seems more relax and does not have to work as hard. I have not figured out what this "burble" is yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #231
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

ZMZ content pics

Today I was at nick Alexander and drove a ZMZ (performance edition) 335i sedan!!!

Pics of what is actually part of the package to follow shortly

Under hood badge
Black performance grills
Trunk lid badge

I'll try and write up something shortly when I can drive a 335i with and without performance edition

Initial reaction is very nice upgrade. More power all around and a nice push in the back especially between 3-5k rpm. No it's not a proceed but it's nice, very nice.

I'll confirm tomorrow, but my initial reaction is this is well worth the $699.00 Jason my SA is offering the retrofit. A must do if your ordering a new car.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #232
heykev
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Convertible

Garage List
Power Kit price in Fort Lauderdale

Schedule an appointment

View accessories
Lauderdale BMW of Fort Lauderdale

BMW

The Ultimate
Driving Machine®

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ALL YOUR BMW PERFORMANCE OPTIONS.
BMW

BMW PERFORMANCE.

Limited Time offer for BMW Power Kits!

Let’s face it, you weren’t drawn to your BMW just because of its refined style. There was something more, something deeper — a burning desire for the pure exhilaration you can only get from superior performance. Original BMW Performance accessories are made to fuel that fire, with a line of chassis, powertrain, interior and aerodynamic components designed by BMW engineers — with inspiration and expertise straight from the racetrack. Exclusively constructed by BMW to fit existing BMW mounting points, to match original colors and body styles, and when installed at your BMW center, to protect BMW warranties.

Lauderdale BMW of Fort Lauderdale is your complete source for Original BMW Performance Accessories. Call (800) 276-0315 for more information on available accessories for your BMW or visit lauderdalebmw.com to shop online.

FOR N54 & N55 engines in 135 and 335 models:

Version 1 Power Kit: Performance optimized engine software.
$718.00 plus tax- Includes installation-Up to $651.00 in savings!

Version 2 Power Kit: Performance optimized engine software + Aux. water cooler + enhanced radiator fan.
$1735.00 plus tax-Includes Installation-Up to $613.00 in savings!

PLUS-Available 6 Months same as cash financing for either Power Kit option! See your service advisor for details.

Please note, depending on the year and model of your BMW, some parts may be VIN specific and need to be pre-paid and special-ordered; expect arrival in 7-10 days. See your advisor for details.
ShopNow
BMW Efficient Dynamics - Less emissions. More driving pleasure.

Forward email to a friend

1812 S Andrews Ave
Fort Lauderdale, FL, 33316-2857
(800) 276-0315

Service Center Hours
"Mon-Fri 7:30am-6:00pm Sat 8:00am-5:00pm"

Sales Hours
"Mon-Fri 9:00am-8:00pm Sat 9:00am-6:00pm Sun 12:00pm-6:00pm"

lauderdalebmw.com
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #233
ILoveChess100
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i (DCT, Sport/PremPkg)

In SoCal around Orange County and LA area, Power Performance Kit, Part + Tax + Install (so an out the door price apples to apples). I spent about 45 min calling the various dealers - some know exactly what this is, others have no clue. Seems, the less they know, the more expensive it is.

1. SouthBay BMW $774 (know exactly what this is, shortest call by far)
2. Crevier BMW $840 (transferred me to 3 people each of which wasn't sure, longest call by far, and besides I hate Crevier for horrible service so I won't go there even if it's free)
3. Sterling BMW $850 (The parts guy knew what this kit was even said 'the PPK, oooohh yeeeeeaaaah..." which totally cracked me up. He had to double check with his service dept on installation, didn't transfer me though just put me on hold, reasonable call time)
4. Irvine BMW $933 O__O Sucks cuz thats my closest dealership - trying to haggle with them based on these other quotes. working directly with my SA over e-mail so not sure if I had called how many times I would be transfered :P
5. Shelly BMW $1290 (craaaazzzyyyy, parts was scrathing their head, service had to check with a technitian who doesn't seem to know what this even is so they quoted $580 for install, $710 for part+tax LOL. Pretty quick call time)

Hope this helps everyone out in SoCal... I guess I would go to SouthBay, unless Irvine can come down in pricing to $800 after haggling (I figure I would spend $25 in gas to/from SouthBay, so $800 is a fair price for me, and IrvineBMW is like two blocks away, plus I already go there for other stuff). Will report later on the final decision, plus actuall installation when all is done.

BTW kind of an irrelevant question to this thread, but I was looking for Dynos so I can do a before and after the PPK - can't find anything in the area O_o... Can someone point me to a thread or another resource with some OC dynos that are reasonably priced? Thanks !!!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #234
htoudiee
HT
Rep
Drives: BMW, AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunRevn View Post
Today I was at nick Alexander and drove a ZMZ (performance edition) 335i sedan!!!

Pics of what is actually part of the package to follow shortly

Under hood badge
Black performance grills
Trunk lid badge

I'll try and write up something shortly when I can drive a 335i with and without performance edition

Initial reaction is very nice upgrade. More power all around and a nice push in the back especially between 3-5k rpm. No it's not a proceed but it's nice, very nice.

I'll confirm tomorrow, but my initial reaction is this is well worth the $699.00 Jason my SA is offering the retrofit. A must do if your ordering a new car.
Thanks. Looking forward to the pics of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #235
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveChess100 View Post
In SoCal around Orange County and LA area, Power Performance Kit, Part + Tax + Install (so an out the door price apples to apples). I spent about 45 min calling the various dealers - some know exactly what this is, others have no clue. Seems, the less they know, the more expensive it is.

1. SouthBay BMW $774 (know exactly what this is, shortest call by far)
2. Crevier BMW $840 (transferred me to 3 people each of which wasn't sure, longest call by far, and besides I hate Crevier for horrible service so I won't go there even if it's free)
3. Sterling BMW $850 (The parts guy knew what this kit was even said 'the PPK, oooohh yeeeeeaaaah..." which totally cracked me up. He had to double check with his service dept on installation, didn't transfer me though just put me on hold, reasonable call time)
4. Irvine BMW $933 O__O Sucks cuz thats my closest dealership - trying to haggle with them based on these other quotes. working directly with my SA over e-mail so not sure if I had called how many times I would be transfered :P
5. Shelly BMW $1290 (craaaazzzyyyy, parts was scrathing their head, service had to check with a technitian who doesn't seem to know what this even is so they quoted $580 for install, $710 for part+tax LOL. Pretty quick call time)

Hope this helps everyone out in SoCal... I guess I would go to SouthBay, unless Irvine can come down in pricing to $800 after haggling (I figure I would spend $25 in gas to/from SouthBay, so $800 is a fair price for me, and IrvineBMW is like two blocks away, plus I already go there for other stuff). Will report later on the final decision, plus actuall installation when all is done.

BTW kind of an irrelevant question to this thread, but I was looking for Dynos so I can do a before and after the PPK - can't find anything in the area O_o... Can someone point me to a thread or another resource with some OC dynos that are reasonably priced? Thanks !!!
My SA at South Bay (Daryl Kwock) confirmed with me today in person that labor is $175, meaning that one could order it online elsewhere for less (Stevens Creek- $534) and have the whole thing for $709 installed
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #236
FunRevn
Captain
Rep

PE retro fit 699 out the door

I confirmed today at Nick Alexander in Los Angeles $699.00 out the door!!!

Ask for Jason the Internet mgr. Great guy helped facilitate selling my car to a third party and did a wonderful job ordering my new 335 msport performance edition sedan. (thats a mouth full). ((from now forward to be referred to as msport PE)) lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #237
FunRevn
Captain
Rep

Performance Edition Components Pics

Here is the pictures showing the components of the PE ZMZ specced cars

Badge under hood

Black PE grills

Performance Edition Trunk Badge

Review to follow soon

Enjoy
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #238
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunRevn View Post
Here is the pictures showing the components of the PE ZMZ specced cars

Badge under hood

Black PE grills

Performance Edition Trunk Badge

Review to follow soon

Enjoy
That exterior badge is a joke? A photoshop??
      10-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #239
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

Well to my disappointment, I was notified I could not use the OEM performance kit for my e90 335i as it did not come with the factory oil cooler. That being said, are their any alternatives for performance tuning while still keeping the factory warranty valid? Has anyone had the dealer retrofit the oem oil cooler to allow this? I am rather surprised they did not install this as I do have the sport package but not the m-tech package. Mine is also an xdrive. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris
______
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #240
kettasii
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT79 View Post
Well to my disappointment, I was notified I could not use the OEM performance kit for my e90 335i as it did not come with the factory oil cooler. That being said, are their any alternatives for performance tuning while still keeping the factory warranty valid? Has anyone had the dealer retrofit the oem oil cooler to allow this? I am rather surprised they did not install this as I do have the sport package but not the m-tech package. Mine is also an xdrive. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris
______
For x-drive, sport package does not include increased top speed limiter, meaning no oil cooler. Since it comes with the m package, I guess it can be added.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #241
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonIvy35i View Post
Which dealer did you go here in cambridge?
I went to BMW of Peabody. I bought the car at Herb Chambers in Boston which is quite convenient to Cambridge (just over the bridge into Allston/Brighton area) but they would not match the BMW CCA discount that Peabody gave me, and generally seemed disinterested in the business, so I went elsewhere. It's a bit of a pain logistically because they won't give me a loaner (didn't buy the car there), but they drop me and pick me up at the commuter rail which is close to my office in the city.

Update on my impressions of the tune: I've now had this thing for a little while and I'm still impressed although I wouldn't want to get anyone's hopes up for a total transformation. I'm still feeling the biggest gains accelerating hard in 3rd and 4th at highway speeds, and definitley think the engine is running smoother all around.

Whereas someone said that a "real enthusiast" would want the bigger gains of a less expensive aftermarket piggy back, I beg to differ. This tune is subtle but really nice. It won't satisfy anyone's itch to make gawdy horsepower, but which demographic is more interested in power figures?

I still don't think this is a cost efficient route, but if my core criteria were cost efficiency I would have bought a WRX.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #242
Skydive2011
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335I  [0.00]
I called about this package from ORR BMW in Shreveport, LA

They told me installation only would run at least 380. I sent them a link showing another place quoting me 710 for everything. They haven't returned my phone call
Appreciate 0