E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d Sprint Booster

03-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Poosik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

335d Sprint Booster

one word--- AMAZING

so I'm running a JBD @ 90% on 2009 335d with 26k miles. Decided to install this mod after reading posts and feeling the unwanted side effects of the adaptive throttle control feature.

The link explains the lagy throttle response and ways to temporary reset this. (there are tons of threads on the subject)

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=411543

-addendum : when doing the reset, ACTUALLY wait 2 FULL minutes before restarting or else it wont work.

Anyways, the sprint booster device is an absolute MUST and transformed my car's performance closer to my desires/expectations.
The response is more aggressive but controlled when you want it. The car feels so much "lighter", rev happy and sporty.
And NO, it does NOT feel the same as if you just press the gas harder. It feels absolutely different. I cant stress this enough. The butt dyno and your visceral organs will agree as you feel the consequences of this gadget.

Again, i read how the thing works, watched youtube videos and i get it... and i would NOT throw away $289 for it if the feeling of "pressing the gas harder" was the same.
I bought the thing on ebay from seller : gmpperformance
there's a 30 day return policy
its good $h!T
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
delviacv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i & 2015 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poosik View Post
one word--- AMAZING

so I'm running a JBD @ 90% on 2009 335d with 26k miles. Decided to install this mod after reading posts and feeling the unwanted side effects of the adaptive throttle control feature.

The link explains the lagy throttle response and ways to temporary reset this. (there are tons of threads on the subject)

-addendum : when doing the reset, ACTUALLY wait 2 FULL minutes before restarting or else it wont work.

Anyways, the sprint booster device is an absolute MUST and transformed my car's performance closer to my desires/expectations.
The response is more aggressive but controlled when you want it. The car feels so much "lighter", rev happy and sporty.
And NO, it does NOT feel the same as if you just press the gas harder. It feels absolutely different. I cant stress this enough. The butt dyno and your visceral organs will agree as you feel the consequences of this gadget.

Again, i read how the thing works, watched youtube videos and i get it... and i would NOT throw away $289 for it if the feeling of "pressing the gas harder" was the same.
its good $h!T
I feel the same way, sprint booster is awesome, I dont think I want to drive my car without it!
2014 X5 50i Carbon Black/ M Sport
-BM3 Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d

Thanks for your review.

Couple of questions-

1)Has your MPG taken a big hit since you are having more fun with the car? I assume that the throttle is tuned from the factory the way it is for fuel economy.

2)Has the SES light come on more often with the sprint booster installation? I know that mine only comes on with the JBD when first started and I punch it.

-Ed

Quote:
one word--- AMAZING

its good $h!T
Previous rides:2011 335d Jet Black / Black w/ Sport Pkg - Loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Wonder if this one is better, same, or worse:

Link
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 04:22 AM   #5
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Quote:
one word--- AMAZING

:

Please can you try and explain how this add on improves things? Like examples where you see benefit. Aside from first 5% (which is just plain wrong, too much response / power for parking or gentle traffic work), there's nothing wrong with the throttle on mine till some half wits remap things and they think because most can't drive they have to send the pedal to sleep.

For clarification, adaptive shift only affects the change pattern ?
It can't / doesn't alter the DME mapping ?

as for adaptive gear change and resetting whats the point? in my mind NO car should have this garbage, as every drive the world's a different place.

1) Is it intelligent enough to ignore gentle driving waiting for the car to warm up?
2) Does it aim to ignore traffic work before its starts trying to mess up my gearbox?
3) A good driver will drive on very light throttle till full warm and when traffic permits use the full capability of the car within constantly changing limitations of the road conditions and other road users. How can it possibly understand this?
4) Can it tell the difference between a bit of congestion an accident or a boring old fart at the wheel?
5) What polling rate does it decide is the right stuff to make these incorrect assumptions?

I've been working on and driving auto for 33 years, and the sport modes are just stupid. Locking out or delaying up changes for no good reason on light throttle. Smooth fast driving is about anticipation, good roadcraft and considered application of the throttle, not some half wit saying the box should never change till the rev counter is above 2500 rpm and forgetting top gear is in the box !!!

How many times have I thought if only the idiots designing this considered throttle position as more important to change points than sport mode or adaptive shifts.

I actually like manual mode for downchanges, I let it change down because in manual it gets it spot on, it delays the point, so its smooth and stops the back of the car wobbling around with a too eager downchange. When pressing on they unsettling the car during braking or turn in and because its a torquey diesel coming out the other side its never an issue. If very lazy and going for it you can let manual mode do the up shifts as well. It just goes wrong when traffic conditions mean its time to pause having fun. I normally drop it back to auto and give up. If you want to drive fast in a vehicle that can cope go buy a motorbike

Last edited by BOTUS; 03-16-2014 at 04:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #6
Poosik
Private First Class
Rep

MPG did not take a noticeable hit since i really punch it sporadically. Normal/highway driving is completely unaffected mpg wise. My average is 29-32mpg.
If anything, i think running the JBD at 90% has lost me approx 2mpg - but that happened even before the sprintbooster.

There have been no SES lights after the sprintbooster, but i actually make a conscious effort of not to bring RPM's above 2500 for the first 2 min of driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
Poosik
Private First Class
Rep

botus, this gadget like you said "wakes" up the pedal. since you had a remap/tune it may perform differently...

the device basically gives YOU all the control by eliminating the lazy, laggy throttle response
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:20 AM   #8
Bicax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)

Quote:
the device basically gives YOU all the control by eliminating the lazy, laggy throttle response
Heya,

This is incorrect.

I have a sprint booster on my 335d, and it does NOT eliminate throttle lag at all.

The only thing the device does is trick the car into thinking that you are giving it more throttle than you really are, which gives you the sensation of more responsiveness.

There is no performance increase or lag removal at all. Floor it quickly with it on or off, and the car will accelerate and react the same.

It is a nice toy, but it's overall a matter of preference. For example when driving the car hard I'm really disliking it. I wrote a couple of posts not that long ago giving my experience on this, to sum it up I really don't agree that it's a "must get".
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
cwbiii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Garage List
2009 335d  [0.00]
2001 330i Convertible  [0.00]
I've had this gadget for about 50k miles... it virtually eliminates the occasional lag when you want to get down on it. I had several times when that lag nearly got me in trouble since the delay was so long.
I see little if any difference in fuel mileage that is not directly related to the aggressiveness of my foot.
I used it for autocross and it helped there as well, but this engine does not recover from quick stop and acceleration maneuvers like gas models... its a bit sluggish.
I generally run in green mode since I find red mode a bit too aggressive for my liking.

Chuck
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #10
Bicax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)

I think that what most of you are experiencing is that you have to press the pedal less to achieve the same result, which translates into a feeling of better responsiveness and the placebo effect of less "lag".

But the Sprint Booster does NOT reduce or eliminate lag. Try pushing the pedal fully and quickly with it on and then off, and you'll see zero difference in acceleration.

Again, it's a matter of preference. For example, if I run it I do so in red, and when driving the car hard it feels frustrating since you can notice that the last ~25% of the pedal don't increase acceleration. However, when driving normally I quite like the feel of responsiveness it gives.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

gotta say, the worst thing about our cars is the lag...its pretty bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
JP-76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

The picture shows what the sprint booster does. Also interesting thing is that only kickdown will give you the full 100% throttle.
Attached Images

03-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

oh, so now I am a bit confused so what is that JBD claim about increase of power and torque?? And people installing them and running Dyno tests and claiming that they have gained so much power?? Personally I don't have one and not planning to install one but it would be nice to understand what are all those claims about
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #14
delviacv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I don't think we are talking about JBD here.
-BM3 Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #15
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by delviacv2 View Post
I don't think we are talking about JBD here.
oh oops, sorry my bad, just realized that as well thx
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #16
delviacv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
oh oops, sorry my bad, just realized that as well thx
-BM3 Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #17
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
gotta say, the worst thing about our cars is the lag...its pretty bad.
+1. I'm surprised to see none of the old reviews from auto blogs pointing that out.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0